Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:22 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They voted for an Independent, not someone who would align themselves with the 3rd party of their choice.

Many voters in those electorates chose Liberal/National as their second choice, but ended up with their vote going Labor, due to their "conservative" independent now choosing Labor, after the vote.
Careful - with those views your either a troll, incorrect or not factual. I'm still waiting for the evidence that the preference system has delivered exactly what the voters voted for in these seats.

The reason I'm still waiting is because there is none.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:27 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to see a system which has no downsides but no one has shown me it yet.

Another point is whether people vote for a party, against a party or strategically. I can understand the right crying in their milk but they would be defending the system if they won.

Either way the choices to vote for are not we want and the candidates are chosen in a less than democratic manner. Both libs are labour have almighty issues with stacking, drop ins and favouritism. We are left with candidates who may support a couple of our ideas but are more interested in climbing the party apparatus. And in non-marginal seats our votes count for nothing.

But then, that is the Australian Preference system, which sometimes goes wrong.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:30 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

If you think ABC is a troll you are a twat of the smelliest type.
Originally Posted by BristolBeary
Careful - with those views your either a troll, incorrect or not factual. I'm still waiting for the evidence that the preference system has delivered exactly what the voters voted for in these seats.

The reason I'm still waiting is because there is none.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
I don't think he was actually insinuating that ABC is actually a troll but would be accused of being a troll by ex-exile because of his opposing view.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:51 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

They voted for an Independent, not someone who would align themselves with the 3rd party of their choice.

Many voters in those electorates chose Liberal/National as their second choice, but ended up with their vote going Labor, due to their "conservative" independent now choosing Labor, after the vote.
I fail to see your point, they ended up with a Labor government but so did another 4.5 million Coalition voters. The constituents got the member they voted for, that does not guarantee that the party of the candidate you vote for goes on to form government.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:54 am
ABCDiamond

I am listening to Tony Blair on ABC Ch 24 at the moment ...

Can't get away from bloody politics...

Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:55 am

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Doh! I wanted the 1000th post
I didn't think that you could display any more look at me look at me stupidity but I was wrong.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:58 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by IvanM
For the love of god! I can't believe I have to explain myself on this. It's called sarcasm - of course I don't think that. He/she share exactly the same opinion. I'm a troll for a stupid post - you call me a twat, do I think your a troll? Of course not - just someone who has every a valid an opinion as anyone else on here.

Peace.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:58 am

I am listening to Tony Blair on ABC Ch 24 at the moment ...

Can't get away from bloody politics...
Whats the old rogue banging on about? A career wasted, if he hadn't done that whole invasion thing he could have gone down as a great PM.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ex_exile
I didn't think that you could display any more look at me look at me stupidity but I was wrong.
Troll
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ex_exile
I fail to see your point, they ended up with a Labor government but so did another 4.5 million Coalition voters. The constituents got the member they voted for, that does not guarantee that the party of the candidate you vote for goes on to form government.
The point is, whether you realise it or not, is that many voters actually vote for the party, not the local person.

I do realise that they do put their number against that persons name, but, for the majority, they are putting those numbers in order of the party they prefer, not the local person.

Therefore, they put Labor 3rd, after Liberal/National, but ended up with someone who decided to side with Labor.

Those voters can see that, as can be seen by their comments in the papers, and will be confirmed one way or the other at the next election. Only someone pre-disposed to not want to see this, could argue it is not true.

Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:01 am
ABCDiamond

For the love of god! I can't believe I have to explain myself on this. It's called sarcasm - of course I don't think that. He/she share exactly the same opinion.

Peace.
T'is OK, I saw it as what it was

Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Seriously ex excile that was sarcasm, not very good I know. I'm getting out of this post because it's not sensible anymore.

Sorry you took offence.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously ex excile that was sarcasm, not very good I know. I'm getting out of this post because it's not sensible anymore.

Sorry you took offence.
Don't apologise. I wouldn't.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 10:14 am

The point is, whether you realise it or not, is that many voters actually vote for the party, not the local person.

I do realise that they do put their number against that persons name, but, for the majority, they are putting those numbers in order of the party they prefer, not the local person.

Therefore, they put Labor 3rd, after Liberal/National, but ended up with someone who decided to side with Labor.

Those voters can see that, as can be seen by their comments in the papers, and will be confirmed one way or the other at the next election. Only someone pre-disposed to not want to see this, could argue it is not true.
So your logic is because I voted for you (the local member) 5th you should vote the way of my first choice?

Last edited by ex_exile; Sep 8th 2010 at 10:23 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.