Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!!

Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!!

Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:55 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!!

Originally Posted by JenJen
Okayyyy

Errm can't you buy Tom Tom's once your over there????

OH had been looking at buying me an all singing dancing new car with it in but seems that only top of the range does the satnav inbuilt, I really don't need top of the range and would be quite happy with something that doesn't dance and sing.
But it means having to buy a SatNav system, IS it not possible to buy one out there or does it cost the earth ???? I need one here cause I am absolutely crap at naviagating around areas I don't know, not popular with the baby around tea time either

Surely if it' costs alot to buy the Sat NAv here and then buy a download or Aussie map to run on it would it not be better to buy it once your in Aus???

Jen
We bought ours now because I want to use it whilst I'm here - then when we go to Oz we'll get the maps for £100 or so. You can buy them over there, I'm not sure of the price though. We've just bought a basic Tom Tom One (although we had the one with Europe on too for our holiday). For us it just makes more sense to buy one and make the most of it for the next 8 months or so that we're here. At least we know we can take it with us

There are some deals on TomToms at the moment with various offer codes about - if you want me to dig you one out let me know. I've got a 10% discount for pcworld but may be able to find another one
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:57 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!!

No, No, No, buy a Garmin they are soooo much better than tom tom

By the best, you know it makes sense..
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:07 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
No, No, No, buy a Garmin they are soooo much better than tom tom

By the best, you know it makes sense..
Shutup I've just bought a bloody TomTom!!!

The discount code works for all SatNav not just TomTom
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daveplumber
Hi
I have been looking into this and have come up with the new navman f20 it generally retails for about £180.00 and have been informed by the technical dept at navman that oz and nz maps come in at about £46 pounds,
Hope this helps, Dave
How easy are £46 maps available to upgrade it? Would these be preloaded onto a memory card or on disc?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Okayyyy

Errm can't you buy Tom Tom's once your over there????

OH had been looking at buying me an all singing dancing new car with it in but seems that only top of the range does the satnav inbuilt, I really don't need top of the range and would be quite happy with something that doesn't dance and sing.
But it means having to buy a SatNav system, IS it not possible to buy one out there or does it cost the earth ???? I need one here cause I am absolutely crap at naviagating around areas I don't know, not popular with the baby around tea time either

Surely if it' costs alot to buy the Sat NAv here and then buy a download or Aussie map to run on it would it not be better to buy it once your in Aus???

Jen

Take a look here for prices. http://dseau.resultspage.com/search....3fc0a87f9c0752
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:15 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

just back from a trip shopping around Sydney using my Navman.

As usual, a fair number of "turn right"s when the display shows the opposite, "continue straight ahead" when the computed track shows a turn - then the condemnatory "perform a U-turn" when you follow the voice.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
my tomtom voice say, " ooh you've been a naughty boy. Turn around at the next junction otherwise i'm gonna have to spank you !!"

and i'm not kidding !!!

She does have other comments when I go the right way, but they are definitely too rude to print
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:41 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

i bought the tomtom one last march and use it every single day. i drive for 12 hours a day at work and have never had a prob with it.
cant say the same for the other brands, i know a few drivers who have nearly thrown them out the window (navman and the like)

tomtoms the only way to go.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by soapy
i bought the tomtom one last march and use it every single day. i drive for 12 hours a day at work and have never had a prob with it.
cant say the same for the other brands, i know a few drivers who have nearly thrown them out the window (navman and the like)

tomtoms the only way to go.
Which TomTom you got Soapy? Did you buy it there ?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by furkew
my tomtom voice say, " ooh you've been a naughty boy. Turn around at the next junction otherwise i'm gonna have to spank you !!"

and i'm not kidding !!!

She does have other comments when I go the right way, but they are definitely too rude to print
Lol, that is funny
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:13 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clippies
We bought ours now because I want to use it whilst I'm here - then when we go to Oz we'll get the maps for £100 or so. You can buy them over there, I'm not sure of the price though. We've just bought a basic Tom Tom One (although we had the one with Europe on too for our holiday). For us it just makes more sense to buy one and make the most of it for the next 8 months or so that we're here. At least we know we can take it with us

There are some deals on TomToms at the moment with various offer codes about - if you want me to dig you one out let me know. I've got a 10% discount for pcworld but may be able to find another one
Thanks

Errrm what about charging it up though etc does that mean you need to have an Aussie/ UK adapter to charge it up?
I said that was what i'd be asking for for xmas (very tempting idea as are here this xmas so could be out driving round the country lol) if we weren't moving, i've got the geographical abilites of a squashed frog so I definately need one, but i'm just debating wether it would be worth buying it now or later?
What a quandry lol

Jen
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
I think i need to know someone whose got one to explain the pluses and minus's to me lol

Everyone seesm to have something good and bad to say about each one lolll which i find so not helpful lollllll
So what are the issues with TOMTOM
WHat are the issues with NAVMAN etc???

Jen
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:23 am

Just thought I'd post to say our TomTom One arrived and Dale took it out for a test run last night, did a few different routes and kept taking wrong turnings on purpose - didn't tell him to do a u'ey, just guided him back on track without telling him he'd gone off track if you know what I mean. Which is impressive I think, at least I won't be panicking trying to find somewhere to turn around

He's taken it to work with him today, not sure he'll be able to hear it in the van as I've read that it can be difficult to hear the One in noisy vehicles and that the Go would be better for that. Will let you know how it goes!

Then he'd better give it me back cus it's for me not him
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Clippies
Just thought I'd post to say our TomTom One arrived and Dale took it out for a test run last night, did a few different routes and kept taking wrong turnings on purpose - didn't tell him to do a u'ey, just guided him back on track without telling him he'd gone off track if you know what I mean. Which is impressive I think, at least I won't be panicking trying to find somewhere to turn around

He's taken it to work with him today, not sure he'll be able to hear it in the van as I've read that it can be difficult to hear the One in noisy vehicles and that the Go would be better for that. Will let you know how it goes!

Then he'd better give it me back cus it's for me not him
Hope you've added a charge on for him??? after all it's been used now so if he didn't pay for it I think he should now have ot pay half lol

Jen
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:35 am

Hope you've added a charge on for him??? after all it's been used now so if he didn't pay for it I think he should now have ot pay half lol

Jen
Lol ah well he did pay for it, he pays for everything

he said it was brilliant today when he used it to get to site in Warwick - did a wrong turn again and it guided him back on track no problems, took him right to the site Could hear it ok in the van too.

I tell you what else I think is ace, it's only small so can fit in your pocket and you can get it to give you walking directions to somewhere - that's fab!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I think i need to know someone whose got one to explain the pluses and minus's to me lol

Everyone seesm to have something good and bad to say about each one lolll which i find so not helpful lollllll
So what are the issues with TOMTOM
WHat are the issues with NAVMAN etc???

Jen

Well our Navman is OK (ICN 530), but it does tend to take it a while to redirect if you take a different route to what it tells you. Other than that we've had no problems with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.