British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sat-nav-system-shall-i-buy-uk-work-oz-really-need-help-402770/)

toon williams Oct 17th 2006 7:29 pm

Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!!

We want to buy a Sat Nav system in the UK to take to Oz in January. :)

I know that I will need to buy the Australia pages when we get there or something, but just wanted some info on which model we should be buying, dont want the all singing all dancing just something reasonably priced that will be able to work in Oz!!

Thanks for all help!!

fidge Oct 17th 2006 7:37 pm

Re: Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!!

Originally Posted by toon williams

I know that I will need to buy the Australia pages when we get there or something, but just wanted some info on which model we should be buying, dont want the all singing all dancing just something reasonably priced that will be able to work in Oz!!

Thanks for all help!!

hi tom tom go is a good 1 to get or a pda and tomtom gear if you can aford it
you can buy maps off ebay
ive tried loads and think tomtoms win hands down easy to use evan my mums got 1 so cant be that hard
:beer: :rolleyes:

daveplumber Oct 17th 2006 7:44 pm

Hi
I have been looking into this and have come up with the new navman f20 it generally retails for about £180.00 and have been informed by the technical dept at navman that oz and nz maps come in at about £46 pounds,
Hope this helps, :cool: Dave

shaakq Oct 17th 2006 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by fidge
hi tom tom go is a good 1 to get or a pda and tomtom gear if you can aford it
you can buy maps off ebay
ive tried loads and think tomtoms win hands down easy to use evan my mums got 1 so cant be that hard
:beer: :rolleyes:

yes TOMTOM is the way to go...

daveplumber Oct 17th 2006 7:56 pm

Look at the costs of the tomtom maps then check previous threads regarding tomtom not working in certain areas ;)

VanessaB Oct 17th 2006 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by daveplumber
Look at the costs of the tomtom maps then check previous threads regarding tomtom not working in certain areas ;)

can you buy them in oz and if so how much are they or is it cheaper to get here

Vanessa

fidge Oct 17th 2006 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by VanessaB

Vanessa

if your having a stop on the way you can get them in singapore they are abit cheaper still and they sell the maps for any where

redlion Oct 17th 2006 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by VanessaB

Vanessa

I was also wondering if it was possible and cheaper to get one in singapore on the way through too?

Nev. :D

The Bloke Oct 17th 2006 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by fidge
if your having a stop on the way you can get them in singapore they are abit cheaper still and they sell the maps for any where

The only drawback that people may come up with on buying electronic stuff in Singapore, HK etc, is that if their is a fault the warranty is usually void in Australia. I would also wonder how accurate the maps would be, as even in Australia, the maps are only relient on the info entered. I know this because the OH was updating street location details on the Gov't database and found that info from councils was usually months or years out of date, and that tis the info that is fed in to the SatNavs, refedexes,"Whereis.com" etc.

Pam Oct 17th 2006 9:19 pm

Thanks for all help!!

Hi we bought a tomtom one last Xmas £239.00 and oz maps from tomtom
website about £120.00 used it in Melbourne & Perth last easter thought we had wasted our money when hire car had satnav but tomtom worked alot better.
Dave

datamile Oct 17th 2006 9:24 pm

I've got a garmin i3, and to buy the Oz maps is more than the unit cost me in the UK. You have to be careful of that

Wol Oct 18th 2006 5:13 am

Some of the mapping that Navman uses is dire! It's supplied by Sensis - part of Telstra. 'nuff said.

Josie1100 Oct 18th 2006 6:35 am

We have got a Dell pda and have put the new Tom Tom 6 on it. It is the best we have used and have tried most Tom Tom editions. We also use memory map and find this really useful.

MisterTwo Oct 18th 2006 11:00 am

Thanks for all help!!

We bought a Garmin Streetpilot C320 in the UK which comes with UK and Europe maps. We then bought the Australia maps and loaded them on before we left. It works perfectly. The only problem I have had is in Melbourne CBD between the tall buildings, but the CBD is easy to get around anyway (Nearly all NatNavs have this problem). You could probably get a NavMan for around $500.00 when you get here. By the way, if you buy a SatNav outside the UK and bring it to Oz it will probably take about half an hour for it to pick up the satellites when you use it first time. When it does it will work fine after that.

toon williams Oct 18th 2006 11:20 am

Thanks for all the replies!! :)

Looks like TomTom is the way to go then!! ;)

Have looked at all the models so just wondered which is the best one!!:confused: