Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!!

Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!!

Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:35 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!!

Originally Posted by JenJen
Hey Furkew ( nice name btw)

I'm looking into buying the Tom Tom One but wanted to make sure I could get the Aussie maps for when we move out to Melbourne.
Thanks everyone for your help
God i'm only 28 and I don't know anyone with a pda? is it like a handheld computer or something?
As my phones on the blink i'll get a new one is Oz, can you get sat nav on your mobile now too then ?
You know when I was 18 - 20 I knew all the latest stuff, my brain after 3 kids just can't keep up, maybe I should stick my 8 year old on here he'd probably understand it all better lol

Jen

I have the tom tom one and you can buy Oz maps for them - they are over £100 for the Oz map though.
I'm with you - my brain has never recovered from pregnancy
Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:37 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Sat Nav system shall I buy in UK to work in Oz?? Really need help!!

Hey Furkew ( nice name btw)

I'm looking into buying the Tom Tom One but wanted to make sure I could get the Aussie maps for when we move out to Melbourne.
Thanks everyone for your help
God i'm only 28 and I don't know anyone with a pda? is it like a handheld computer or something?
As my phones on the blink i'll get a new one is Oz, can you get sat nav on your mobile now too then ?
You know when I was 18 - 20 I knew all the latest stuff, my brain after 3 kids just can't keep up, maybe I should stick my 8 year old on here he'd probably understand it all better lol

Jen

I have a Nokia N70 which has TomTom mobile. It cost about 300.00 pounds without the software, but if you are heading for Oz you will be looking to get a new mobile provider, so it might be worth looking into a mobile smart phone with tomtom possibilities.

The software is not cheap obviously, but it is very handy because you can use it in the car, on the motorbike or pushbike, and even when out walking because of the size.

If you only want if for in the car, the complete sets like a tomtom one is probably better value and slightly easier to use.

Its all very personal, but from experience in Melbourne with tomtom & Navman systems, tomtom wins hands down, but as you have also read, garmin also comes well reccommended.

Have fun in Melbourne.

btw a PDA is a hand held agenda/computer. can also easily be used for navigation systems, but not handy for only that purpose.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:44 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol clippies the rugrats have got alot to answer for haven't they lol

Thanks Furkew I'm quite happy to walk round looking for places, I doubt i'd get my fat ar*e on a bike so I'd probably just use it in the car, i've always said I need someone tomap read whenever I drive, I can make it to my parents and the city and the town but anywhere new and i'm lost before i've even left the house, a 10 minute journey turned into half hour last week when i had to find my friends house from bl**dy multimap directions which got me half way there then led me round in circles so I was having to guess which way to go when there were no signposts and multimap said go straight over - what into the brick wall ????
I hate trying to read directions, or a map that your resting on the steering wheel while driving. Bl**dy dangerous.
I found it by luck and by asking half a dozen people.
The TomTom One seems to be priced at £179.99 at the moment so hoping that they still have the Oz map at the end of the year it's prob only work out to beabout £300 in total which isn't bad seeing as some man tried to flog me a SatNav for about £450 last week. Besides one we've sold the house i'm sure I can afford to buy the Oz map i'll need

thanks guys

Jen
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:33 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Lol clippies the rugrats have got alot to answer for haven't they lol

Thanks Furkew I'm quite happy to walk round looking for places, I doubt i'd get my fat ar*e on a bike so I'd probably just use it in the car, i've always said I need someone tomap read whenever I drive, I can make it to my parents and the city and the town but anywhere new and i'm lost before i've even left the house, a 10 minute journey turned into half hour last week when i had to find my friends house from bl**dy multimap directions which got me half way there then led me round in circles so I was having to guess which way to go when there were no signposts and multimap said go straight over - what into the brick wall ????
I hate trying to read directions, or a map that your resting on the steering wheel while driving. Bl**dy dangerous.
I found it by luck and by asking half a dozen people.
The TomTom One seems to be priced at £179.99 at the moment so hoping that they still have the Oz map at the end of the year it's prob only work out to beabout £300 in total which isn't bad seeing as some man tried to flog me a SatNav for about £450 last week. Besides one we've sold the house i'm sure I can afford to buy the Oz map i'll need

thanks guys

Jen

Jen I'm exactly the same - I have no sense of direction and always get lost! So the Tom Tom has been the best investment husband ever made I can go anywhere now and even if you go the wrong way it just guides you back on track without panicking you saying you've gone the wrong way

We got a fairly good discount on our tomtom - think we got it from pcworld in the end but loads of places sell it. Best thing to do is search for discount codes on google.co.uk and then you should be able to get some money knocked off it
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

We had a tom tom go in the UK and got another one (tom tom 300) over here. With a bit of fiddling, we copied all the maps from one to another so we now have two aus versions. (with uk maps on cd, just in case) I would say the only criticism of the system over here, as opposed to the UK, is that the window mount results in the unit getting very hot from direct sunlight, even with aircon on. I have taken to fixing it up high, by the rear view mirror, out of the sun, while I wait for the Brodit dash mount the arrive from europe.

Mark
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

I am thinking of buying hubby a sat nav system - either a Tom Tom or a Garmin in the US before we move to Oz. We will need it to work in UK too. I've used other people's sat nav before, but can't remember how they charge - it is by USB on the computer/cig lighter in the car? Or do you have to plug it into the wall? I am just imagining buying one then never being able to use it once we leave here...
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Craig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really nice

I install Navman commercial tracking and Sat Nav systems, and I use a Tom Tom to get to my jobs, much better in my opinion. However Navman is a New Zealand Company so you may get better, more in depth Australasia mapping from them. Think it is all down to personal preference at the end of the day.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by suzimc
Hiya,

I am thinking of buying hubby a sat nav system - either a Tom Tom or a Garmin in the US before we move to Oz. We will need it to work in UK too. I've used other people's sat nav before, but can't remember how they charge - it is by USB on the computer/cig lighter in the car? Or do you have to plug it into the wall? I am just imagining buying one then never being able to use it once we leave here...
Our tomtom charges by a cig lighter thingy
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
Our tomtom charges by a cig lighter thingy
I spoke to my dad in the meantime and he said the same, but he also said the cigarette charger is a bit temperamental so he usually charges it up from the wall in the house. Maybe I will wait til we get to Oz after all...save me thinking of a crimbo pressie next year
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:46 pm

I spoke to my dad in the meantime and he said the same, but he also said the cigarette charger is a bit temperamental so he usually charges it up from the wall in the house. Maybe I will wait til we get to Oz after all...save me thinking of a crimbo pressie next year
Ours didn't come with a wall plug thing but I know you can buy them seperately. Presume the mains charger you buy in Oz would fit a Tomtom you buy here if you get one
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ours didn't come with a wall plug thing but I know you can buy them seperately. Presume the mains charger you buy in Oz would fit a Tomtom you buy here if you get one
Yeah, only thing is I'm in the US and you never know if it will work as the voltage is completely different here to UK/Aus so I reckon I should just bide my time - don't want to risk it blowing up or anything . I went out and bought him a new laptop a couple of hours ago instead and now he is a smiley bunny

Cheers for letting me know though
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:55 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

think its about 49 bucks here
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:58 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

our cigarette charger thingy broke after 2 days, so we bought another. i use it for 12 hours every day and have had no probs
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:00 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
our cigarette charger thingy broke after 2 days, so we bought another. i use it for 12 hours every day and have had no probs
Getting lost trying to find your beers mate?

ZX.......
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:02 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Getting lost trying to find your beers mate?

ZX.......
dont need a sat nav for that, its always in my hand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.