Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Run it up the flagpole

Run it up the flagpole

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 11:41 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Run it up the flagpole

John Howard announced that additional school funding will come with certain requirements, including having a working flagpole:

Schools to teach values for money
Malcolm Cole, national political correspondent
23jun04
SCHOOLS will not qualify for a new Federal Government $31.4 billion funding package unless they embrace "values-based" conditions, including each school having a "working flagpole".

Schools will be required to ensure all students do at least two hours of exercise each day and must produce "plain language" report cards telling parents precisely how their children are performing.

Prime Minister John Howard and Education Minister Brendan Nelson announced the extraordinary values-in-schools campaign yesterday, saying Australian parents wanted to see better standards in schools.

"I don't think there's anything old-fashioned about the display of patriotic symbols," he said.

"The younger generations embrace these things ... Thirty years ago I wouldn't have wandered the shores of Gallipoli with an Australian flag draped around my shoulders ... but I tell you what, my children would and many of their friends do and ... that is why it is not trite and irrelevant and old-fashioned to say you've got to have a flagpole so you can fly the Australian flag."
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 11:47 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Welcome to yesterday!

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 11:48 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

It's only the junior schools (I suppose that's to get kids into the HABIT of exercising), and it's 2 hours per WEEK, not per day.

And if you're not prepared to fly the flag of the country that protects you, then piss off out of it!
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 11:54 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.

Jeese, two whole hours excerscise a week, the poor darlings.

When i parked miles from the shopping center entrance the otherday, my daughter said "we're not Aussies yet Mum, so don't worry"

"What do you mean" Says Hevs

"Well, we havn't lost the use of our legs yet!"

My jaw hit the floor, out of the mouths of babes *shakes head*
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 12:42 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom

And if you're not prepared to fly the flag of the country that protects you, then piss off out of it!

Not sure if this was directed at me or more broadly. However, your view seems to be that the government is some sort of protective father figure, mine is that I pay my taxes to enable the government to serve on my behalf
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 12:51 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by jayr
Not sure if this was directed at me or more broadly. However, your view seems to be that the government is some sort of protective father figure, mine is that I pay my taxes to enable the government to serve on my behalf
It was a general comment, but if the shoe fits....

"The government' as you refer to it has a duty to protect the citizens and residents of the country which it serves. It does this through judicious use of the armed forces of that country. Before you start, no-one is suggesting that the government (of ANY country) is perfect. It's made up of people, and people are prone to make mistakes, and some serve themselves above the country they've sworn to serve.

My father put his life on the line as a Battle of Britain Spitfire pilot, so I get pissed off with people who want the protection which a government offers through its armed forces, but who poo-poo the idea of pride in the country in which you live, and who therefore think that flying the flag of their chosen country is somehow beneath them, or 'naff'.

I repeat my earlier summation:
If you're not prepared to fly the flag of the country that protects you, then piss off out of it!
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Our boys schools have had an aussie flag out the front and they have usually sung the national anthem once a week at assembly. Which seems like a nice reasonable amount of patriotism.

What I and many others object to is the Government says you WILL fly the flag or your school WONT get funding, is that not just a bit dictatatorial. What sort of patriotism is that?
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 12:58 am
Just Joined

geoff12 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's only the junior schools (I suppose that's to get kids into the HABIT of exercising), and it's 2 hours per WEEK, not per day.

The american flag ??

Forced patriotism means nothing IMO.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:02 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by jad n rich
Our boys schools have had an aussie flag out the front and they have usually sung the national anthem once a week at assembly. Which seems like a nice reasonable amount of patriotism.

What I and many others object to is the Government says you WILL fly the flag or your school WONT get funding, is that not just a bit dictatatorial. What sort of patriotism is that?
It's not dictatorial at all. Schools are given the choice. If they decide not to fly the flag, then they choose not to receive any government handouts. If there was NO choice, then it would be dictatorial.

Let's look at the other side of the coin....

If you were living in a country which didn't have the freedom of speech which you presently enjoy, you wouldn't even be discussing this question: it would be a case of 'Do it, or end up in a concentration camp.'

Now, if you're not prepared to fight for that freedom which you enjoy, then why should you enjoy it? "Flying the flag" is an expression, as well as an action, and means that you're ready to fight for your freedom.

So, are you ready to fly the flag?
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:03 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by geoff12
The american flag ??

Forced patriotism means nothing IMO.
TROLL ALERT!!!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

It's not dictatorial at all. Schools are given the choice. If they decide not to fly the flag, then they choose not to receive any government handouts. If there was NO choice, then it would be dictatorial.

Let's look at the other side of the coin....

If you were living in a country which didn't have the freedom of speech which you presently enjoy, you wouldn't even be discussing this question: it would be a case of 'Do it, or end up in a concentration camp.'

Now, if you're not prepared to fight for that freedom which you enjoy, then why should you enjoy it? "Flying the flag" is an expression, as well as an action, and means that you're ready to fight for your freedom.

So, are you ready to fly the flag?

I dont consider government funding for education as handouts, especially in a State School system that is so chronically underfunded.

People should fly the flag because they are proud and want to do it freely, not because they wont get money to educate children if they dont. So I will stand by what I say thats not only dictatorial but blackmail as well.

I have already said I am happy with my kids school flying a flag and singing the anthem, but I would like to think they were doing it of their own FREE choice.

Saw a cartoon this morning, Mr Howard had become a flag waving Mr Hitler, think that explains it better than I can.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:12 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by geoff12
The american flag ??

You are in the "Australia and New zealand" section, and the poster quotes "John Howard" You go figure
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:16 am
Karma Comedian

Some Australians would have this as the national flag, rather than the one containing the Union Jack:
Attached Thumbnails Run it up the flagpole-aboriginal-flag.gif  
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:18 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by jad n rich
I dont consider government funding for education as handouts, especially in a State School system that is so chronically underfunded.

People should fly the flag because they are proud and want to do it freely, not because they wont get money to educate children if they dont. So I will stand by what I say thats not only dictatorial but blackmail as well.

I have already said I am happy with my kids school flying a flag and singing the anthem, but I would like to think they were doing it of their own FREE choice.

Saw a cartoon this morning, Mr Howard had become a flag waving Mr Hitler, think that explains it better than I can.
I heard it said once that "People get the government they deserve, whether they want it or not."

If you're not happy with the way the government is divvying up the pot, then get Aussie citizenship, and run for office, rather than just whinging about 'chronic underfunding'.

It's called "putting your arse on the line", or "Standing up and being counted" in PC speak.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:20 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by jayr
Some Australians would have this as the national flag, rather than the one containing the Union Jack:
I don't have a problem with that. They were here 40,000 years before the white man. And at least they're prepared to FLY a flag!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.