Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Run it up the flagpole

Run it up the flagpole

Old Jun 26th 2004, 10:16 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by callë
sadly, you are right Ulujain. all the years I have lived over here, it is amazing to see day to day the amount of Americans who do jump on that bandwagon and yet turn around and foulmouth their goverment and fellow Americans at the drop of a hat. also given the chance to sue, the are not many here who wouldnt. you here so much about freedom and rights here yet minorities and those who run afoul of the law seem to be the only ones to really get their rights. seems people over here use those 'rights' to excuse their wrongs. Not everyone is like that of course, but far too many are. its really sad. those rights and freedom were founded on good causes but they are abused terribly.
Do you think Aussies love their politicians?
Old Jun 26th 2004, 10:26 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally posted by bondipom
Do you think Aussies love their politicians?
Odd, that I don't remember Politician of the list of professions for emmingration

Bye
Mark
Old Jun 26th 2004, 10:28 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

I am not advocating removing the freedom to flag wave. We must be free to chose either way.

This legislation is blatantly political, along with several other half arsed bills that are currently around. There is no provision for Gay marriage in Australia so why is the government bringing in legislation to ban it? Both sides are playing the game.

I will always question flag waving and its achievements.
The political talk isn't about ensuring the average joe flies a flag, it's about publicly funded places, like schools. I don't think anyone will make an individual fly a flag.

I can't see anything un-Australian or mind-blowingly jingoistic about a school flying the Australian flag.

I've never pictured the Australian flag as a banner under which all mindless patriots gather. It's a banner which identifies us as Australians, and personally I have no dramas with being identified as one. It's passive partisanship.

There may be no provision for gay marriage but it's not to say such a relationship is viewed too onerously in some places.

What's Partner - Interdependent all about then that isn't a subtle push in that direction anyway?
Old Jun 26th 2004, 10:38 pm

Ulujain it is the timing of the legislation. Schools have bigger problems than having to put up flags. Air conditioning would be a starter. Sadly this card is one that can only go downhill in a "I'm more patriotic than you" manner. Whats next?

Interdependant partners are the gay equivalent of De-Factos partners. It is not marriage. Why feel the necessity to ban what is not allowed? IMO A petty pop at the gay community. Another waste of precious legislative time for the sake of political one upmanship.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 11:04 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Ulujain it is the timing of the legislation. Schools have bigger problems than having to put up flags. Air conditioning would be a starter. Sadly this card is one that can only go downhill in a "I'm more patriotic than you" manner. Whats next?

Interdependant partners are the gay equivalent of De-Factos partners. It is not marriage. Why feel the necessity to ban what is not allowed? IMO A petty pop at the gay community. Another waste of precious legislative time for the sake of political one upmanship.
You've lived in NSW long enough to know that that state views long term de facto in the same light it would a legal marriage. There's little if any stigma remaining in Australia to "shacking up".

As for banning what is not allowed. It's not so much not allowed as not mentioned. By banning gay marriage , the statute would be more explicit on the subject.

As for gay marriage, I'm all for it. So long as gay divorce and gay family court is implemented when it all goes south.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 11:18 pm

Originally posted by Ulujain
You've lived in NSW long enough to know that that state views long term de facto in the same light it would a legal marriage. There's little if any stigma remaining in Australia to "shacking up".

As for banning what is not allowed. It's not so much not allowed as not mentioned. By banning gay marriage , the statute would be more explicit on the subject.

As for gay marriage, I'm all for it. So long as gay divorce and gay family court is implemented when it all goes south.
Gay Divorce. That would be one viscious fight.

My point is that the legislation is aimed at point scoring and appealing to the homophobe. A lawyer will have to say what rights a long term gay couple have. As per the flagpole issue the motives of the government are at question.

I heard that we are to get the "dob in an ethnic terrorist and be scared" fridge magnets again. So far the line has been useless waste of resources. At the moment we are being bombarded with over 100 million dollars worth of tax payer funded ads praising recent medicare legislation.

Practical useful legislation or populist bullshit?
Old Jun 27th 2004, 12:35 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

In primary school, we had a head master who, at daily assembly and at pain of the cane, instituted the Hitler salute to the flag and droning of Blessings To 'Bess.

Asked by a Digger "We fought a war to put an end to that. Why do you kids salute like that?

Answer "If we don't we get an extra rations of thrashings".

First day of a new head master the OutStreached arm was dropped as was the ration of thrashing.