Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Run it up the flagpole

Run it up the flagpole

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 5:25 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Good for you Bondipom. You do things your way and the rest of us will do things our way.

Cheers.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:03 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom
I am more than happy to let people mindlessly wave their flags but anyone wanting me to wave one can shove it where the sun doesn't shine. A flag is a bit of cloth. Relatives of mine fought in both world wars and they did so for the greater good and not a piece of cloth.
so did mine , and probably nearly every British expat on here, their grandparents did. They fought" for King and country" in those days.. which is the union jack., they fought so you could freely fly that flag in otherwords!

Individual countries flags are not just pieces of cloth ,it symbolises your country, your peoples , whether it is a welsh one, or an English one etc . Same as a national anthem.. it's supposed to be about your land , your nation and peoples... a celebration of it all rolled into one , which unfortunately the British anthem is not "God save the Queen" If you can't understand that.. well.

anyway you're quite welcome to shove a flag up your rear end if that's what tickles your fancy, just make sure it's your own flag .
cheers
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:10 am
scoobydoo

Mr Howard needs to put more emphasis on the 3R's......a lot of mums at my sons school think that my son is so bright...he can read!!!! So he can...he's nearly 7 for gods sake!:scared:

Many of his friends struggle with reading....get the parents to excersise the kids!!!!:lecture:

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
I think It's just England that has this problem about flying their st george flag ,
cheers
Sorry Ceri, but i have to disagree with you, but don't worry i'll not be calling you any words that begin with C, or telling you how to improve your sex life

I, or any one in my street/ town/ county NEVER had a problem with the St George, i've even brought mine to Aus with me.

I do however have a problem with the Union jack, after all, wouldn't want people thinking i was Welsh or anything
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:18 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scoobydoo
Mr Howard needs to put more emphasis on the 3R's......a lot of mums at my sons school think that my son is so bright...he can read!!!! So he can...he's nearly 7 for gods sake!:scared:
Different values overhere though arn't there?
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by hevs
Different values overhere though arn't there?
I think there must be different values all over this country.

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:25 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I think there must be different values all over this country.
well, lets face it, its a big old place
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:27 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Sorry Ceri, but i have to disagree with you, but don't worry i'll not be calling you any words that begin with C, or telling you how to improve your sex life

I, or any one in my street/ town/ county NEVER had a problem with the St George, i've even brought mine to Aus with me.

I do however have a problem with the Union jack, after all, wouldn't want people thinking i was Welsh or anything
You will never see a true welsh person flying a union jack before the welsh dragon. Personally I could burn that jack quite easily.
People are making the mistake here of saying in the Uk this and that, when they are talking about England. Wales has never had a prob flying our own flag with pride ( and no it's not just at rugby matches etc- they are permanent fixtures) - we fly it with pride. Every country I've been to, and actually I had a go at one person at a race track once, he had the union jack on his Kart with England written on it - I said if you want to fly a flag with England on it - fly your cross., and not the union Jack - it is not your sole flag

I see more union Jacks being flown by English than their St George crosses.. always have. unless it's a sporting match then they seem to come out then.

I don't own a union Jack flag myself , never have.. I will not fly it.
Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 23rd 2004 at 7:32 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:31 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I also brought my St Andrews flag out with me . Only used it a few times like the Grand Prix, when I was a Samoan supporter against England at the Rugby world cup and last week at Scotland V Aussies.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:31 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by Ceri
I see more union Jacks being flown by English than St George crosses by them.. always have
Cheers
But how do you know they're English??? Do we look different in a crowd or something

PS. The thing about being Welsh was a joke. Sad sense of humour, I know.........
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 7:37 am
Y Ddraig Goch

But how do you know they're English??? Do we look different in a crowd or something

PS. The thing about being Welsh was a joke. Sad sense of humour, I know.........
By the sickly, ill . pasty look ..ok I'm running now!!!( seriously though by their accent, and most of my English friends , and associates do fly a jack before a cross)

I know it was a joke - I put a smiley thing on the end of my post ( I tend not to use smiley things when I'm serious.. or if I've forgotten to put one on)

cheers... opps nearly forgot lol
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 12:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

And for those who support the Australian National Flag, there's this site:
http://www.australianflag.org.au

Jeremy

Originally posted by jayr
Well, it's better than discussing the arrival of yellow envelopes!

Here's some more flag stuff for those interested:

http://www.ausflag.com.au/
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 12:21 pm
Banned

Kendonakasaki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by downunderpom
It was a general comment, but if the shoe fits....

"The government' as you refer to it has a duty to protect the citizens and residents of the country which it serves. It does this through judicious use of the armed forces of that country. Before you start, no-one is suggesting that the government (of ANY country) is perfect. It's made up of people, and people are prone to make mistakes, and some serve themselves above the country they've sworn to serve.

My father put his life on the line as a Battle of Britain Spitfire pilot, so I get pissed off with people who want the protection which a government offers through its armed forces, but who poo-poo the idea of pride in the country in which you live, and who therefore think that flying the flag of their chosen country is somehow beneath them, or 'naff'.

I repeat my earlier summation:
If you're not prepared to fly the flag of the country that protects you, then piss off out of it!
Over here in little ole England they tried banning the flag ( St George ) in certain areas which got people's backs up and contributed to a upsurge in PATRIOTISM with flags flying from a great percentage of cars and houses, we may not agree with the governments decision on certain things but no-one will ever stop me flying my country's flag in my country, I fully agree with your statement " If u dont like then pi** off"
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

If you live in a free and democratic country you should NEVER be forced to fly a flag. and should NEVER be precluded from flying a flag.

John Howard's latest trick to make schools fly flags is yet another thinly veiled attempt to get the right-wing nationalistic vote. Yet another nail in the coffin for civil liberties in the country I used to call home!
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 4:13 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the US but dont have an American flag. I do however have a Union Jack that I have displayed inside my home. since I am not in my own country, I dont want to offend anyone else yet in my home where friends and family may come I am proud to show my affection for my country through a little symbolism. strangely though I've not yet been to Oz I also have an Australian flag. It is a symbol to me of the country I want to emigrate to. flags are just that..symbols. but to sentimental people, such as myself, if something means something to you there is no harm in displaying that. John Howard is not suggesting you have to fly the flag at your own home, but at public schools. I see nothing wrong with patriotism. In fact I think today too many people see things as all about themselves. shallow really. people need things to look up to and to learn respect.:lecture:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.