Reload this Page >

Relocation: Phil Down Under

Relocation: Phil Down Under

Old Feb 7th 2010, 8:48 am
Just Joined

magic_stag is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relocation: Phil Down Under

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
I think its good that people with bad expereinces reply to balance out view points.
I moved to Brisbane and ended up on the Gold Coast 2 and a half years ago and the weather has been different all the time. I personally think that it takes more than 6 months to get used to new surroundings and would suggest 2 years a better amount of time.
The couple that bought a place in Melbourne last week are friends of mine and have bought a big place on an acre for $500k, sounds like a bargain to me. Even with house prices dropping a bit in the UK its still way better than a now typical 3 storey town house the developers seem to be building with a postage sized stamp garden to keep your blade of grass in.
Everyone in Australia makes ends meet and they are not all multi millionaires, its a case of getting stuck in and taking a few years to build up what you have left in the UK. It wont happen overnight and certainly not in 6 months.
It's a bargain all right, why do you think I wanted to move? Sick of Barrat Homes and their rabbit hutches. I reacted with disgust when I saw them selling 1 bedroom houses(!?) in Merrow Park.
I agree that you need 2 years to acclimatise. But what do you do when you face a family revolt and everyone wants to go home? Then it's a question of cutting your losses and beating a heavy retreat. Do you have children? Even if you don't you must realise that any time lost in their education can never be regained. That was our first priority.
Of course most people are scraping to get by and economise. But I don't think I could survive 2 years on the dole
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

2plus3 will become famous soon enough

Oh Poo, I've just realised that I missed Phil on Friday

Need my fix so off to watch 4OD ...................

K xx
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:11 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by magic_stag
Thanks for your reply. Don't be depressed it was something meant to be. The boys hated the humidity in Brisbane, I did not care for it either. Also the outdoor life is over-rated, you cannot get out in the sun unless you Slip-Slap-Slop! Very dangerous melanoma, the boys hated wearing UV shirts when swimming.
The boys are a lot happier here in Stirling, they can play football, they love the snow, they don't fall asleep with the fans whirring overhead in the classroom (No air-con for children up to 40 degree heat!).
I don't regret going otherwise I would not find out. Consider it a probation period. Only mistake was I should have listened to my brother-in-law. He suggested don't sell the house and go first and try to look for work, then when everything is settled, bring the family say 6 months later. Don't uproot them unnecesarily. Only thing is the visa was granted Oct 04 and last entry April 05 for everyone, very tight deadlines. Not sure why the authorities insist everyone come together instead of staggering the entries.
Never mind, all worked out. Que sera sera!!
l heard about Aussies down here in Victoria moved up to Brisbane and Queensland for retirement in a warmer climate and didn't like the place , found it too humid and other things wrong and moved back to Victoria.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:12 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hellsbells712
Australia is a big place. Can fit Europe in it twice over.

I think that would be difficult given that Europe is bigger in land area than Australia.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:01 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mohogony
l heard about Aussies down here in Victoria moved up to Brisbane and Queensland for retirement in a warmer climate and didn't like the place , found it too humid and other things wrong and moved back to Victoria.
I have sat here tonight reading this thread and yes moving to oz is not for every one and a lot of the comments are true to the people that write them, all i can say is if you can give it a go then do it as you only live once.
I moved out to brisbane over four years ago and i kept my house rented in UK until my family were happy to say we are staying in Brisbane, but please my advice to every one is make back up plans because things change.
My 10 year old soon is talking like he is missing UK,so my wife and i have a back up plan if he does get more upset.
One more thing i must add is that we moved out here as many other people do,to make and have a better life but things are getting more expensive here like food ,gas, elec and my wife and i do find our selfs saying that its getting more expensive and its not going as far as it did four years ago,the pull of the family is very hard we just spent feb this year in the UK staying with my wife parents and even tho we have seen them a couple of years ago, this time of leaving was the hardest ever and has had a big impact on my wife parents and it has taken them over five weeks to be able to deal with it, and seeing my wife concerned with that hurts.
So please migrate if you can but be prepared to change your plans for the benefit of your own family
all the best
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I think that would be difficult given that Europe is bigger in land area than Australia.
There's not a lot in it. If you pack in the UK, Ireland and the Scandinavian countries into the gaps - I reckon they're almost equal..
Attached Thumbnails Relocation: Phil Down Under-image023.jpg  
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely can't do it twice though
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:20 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NickyC
There's not a lot in it. If you pack in the UK, Ireland and the Scandinavian countries into the gaps - I reckon they're almost equal..
But then you've got the bit that goes all the way out to Kazakhstan.

On the other hand the original proposition may have been a loose use of the word Europe as Aus is 1.75 times the size of the EU.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on whether you use my definition of Europe or the Eurovision Song Contest definition.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:23 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I think it depends on whether you use my definition of Europe or the Eurovision Song Contest definition.
Said the girl who thought the Gobi desert is in the Russia and Panama is in South America.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Syd1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its interesting reading these Forums. There is certainly no rights or wrongs about staying in Australia or returning to the UK. Magic Stag gave it a go and thought it was best to go back. Good for him I say! Takes balls to make the move and then he wanted to go back. So what?

We've lived here for three years and have loved every minute of it! But you grow a bit tired of the Brits who just moan about the UK and boast about Australia all the time.

Australia has some major issues at the moment. The middle class have no hope buying a house and are forced to rent. This puts pressure on the poor as they now have to compete with the middle class for rental properties. Which is causing more people to become homeless and live on the streets. I have seen it over the years just from going to work in the CBD. More people are living on the streets, its a fact.

Australia is now the least affordable place in the world for houses. 9 times the average household income is required to buy the average house in Sydney.

At least the middle class can buy a house in the UK.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:15 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
...and ignore the rest of Eastern Europe.

Australiasia (which includes NZ and New Guinea) - 8,884,516 sq km

Europe - 9,908,599 sq km
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Syd1
Australia is now the least affordable place in the world for houses. 9 times the average household income is required to buy the average house in Sydney.

Which makes it about the same ratio as London right? Which would be a like-for-like comparison.

UK faces some absolutely horrible times coming, IMO. Tremendous fiscal pressures which may take 10+ years to fix, no major growth industries (the only one around - finance - has taken a beating and is now politically very difficult), rising costs, rising population, social issues etc etc. Of course, there are some good places to live, as long as you can suffer the weather. But if you want a career, in many cases South East is the only option, and then you're trapped in commuter-ville with no space.

May be a wee bit biased though, as we're leaving in 3 months :-) Just come back after several years in the US and have confirmed our opinion that we really dont want to live in the UK any more. Truly a depressing place IMO.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Feargal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Syd1
Australia has some major issues at the moment. The middle class have no hope buying a house and are forced to rent. This puts pressure on the poor as they now have to compete with the middle class for rental properties. Which is causing more people to become homeless and live on the streets. I have seen it over the years just from going to work in the CBD. More people are living on the streets, its a fact.

That's a really useful insight - thanks for posting.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough

I think the woman was born in Ireland (her name was Bronagh after all..) but she obviously grew up in England (Essex). That's my bet anyway.

I enjoyed the show, but I had to laugh at the bit in Sydney where Phil was making out that everybody in Sydney commutes by ferry! If only! My commute to work in Sydney is much worse than it ever was in London - endless traffic jams and idiotic drivers.

As with most things of course, it depends on your individual circumtances. My commute to work in London was excellent - Twickenham, through Teddington and Bushy Park and down past Hampton Court. In Sydney, it's twice as long as i'm going in the same direction as everyone else on the appalling road system. Commuting by ferry would be nice but i'll leave that to those who can afford to buy a house in Manly ( I can't!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.