Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Redcliffe Area anyone?

Redcliffe Area anyone?

Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:11 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Redcliffe Area anyone?

Originally Posted by neatad
What are government schools like in this area?, I am currently living in NZ and it seems that when kiwi's move to Aus they only send there kids to private schools. Are the govt schools that bad!!!
I'm a pommie Kiwi and i'm curious!
thanks Anita
The thing is that private schools here seem quite different to those in the UK. Whereas UK private schooling is typically very expensive, there are lots of private schools around that really don't cost very much in comparison, maybe just a few $k a year - I think that's why many send their kids to private schools. Unless our financial situation changes significantly, we will be sending our kids to the local state school as it has a good reputation, although it is a very large school and with the speed in which this particular area is developing it is busting at the seams which I guess will have to have some sort of impact on the education standards at some point. I don't know, I have a few years to think about this yet.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Rach.n.Gaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

We've lived here in Redcliffe (well Kippa-Ring) for almost 4 years now. We came from Manchester and were uncertain as to how it would suit us, especially after reading a lot of posts on here re. Redcliffe and how it used to be known as Deadcliffe. We are so happy now and can't imagine living anywhere else. I had a couple of wobbles after the first 12 - 18 months and wondered if we should have settled somewhere else like Caloundra or Bribie or just down the road at North Lakes, even considered south Bayside or somewhere closer to the City. I think it was more a case of getting used to Queensland living and the whole situation of shops and restaurants closing early plus the slight hillbilly element which is far easier to live with than the knife carrying chavs we used to encounter in Manchester. Now I'm so settled in Redcliffe and have no desire to move ever. It takes time to adapt to a new way of life and i think most people try to rush it.

I'm 36 and have 3 children aged 19 mths, 7 and 18 so am a family person but not completely past it and still like a night out occasionally. In the last 6 months I've had more nights out than I could handle, some fantastic meals with friends or just me and my OH. We get up early every day just because we want to, and our 7 year old plays out on the street with the other kids or they come over to ours and play in our pool or we take them to one of several parks in walking distance or nip down the road to the seafront and grab an icecream. This is just on your average day after school. On the weekend there's unlimted choices for fun days out from 5 mins to 1 hour away. We watch english documentary-type tv shows and cringe at what we could be living like compared to our current lifestyle. Things closing early doesn't bother us anymore plus you get to know what's open late and there are loads of places that do. You can get whatever you need.

Having a teenager it was important for us to live within commuting distance to the City. He's been going there with friends quite safely since he was 15. He works in the City now and is so used to the commute it just isn't an issue to him... a bus to Sandgate station then a train into the city. Husband also works in the City (Conrad Treasury) and is not concerned by the drive in. Between us we've been to several concerts and music festivals and he's got friends all over Brisbane.

It took me a while to make friends but I find that difficult at my age in any situation. Now I've got friends and am making new friends all the time. I work in Redcliffe so have been able to get to know some of the community which is great. I also spent a lot of time in Redcliffe Hospital whilst pregnant and gave birth there. It was a fantastic experience and I can't praise the staff there highly enough.

As for schools, my oldest spent a year in each of the two State High Schools and they were okay, they have there issues like any schools but on the whole I thought they weren't bad. My middle child has attended a state primary school since grade 1 and it's excellent. He's quite a timid child and well behaved and since attending this school has gained confidence and learnt some great values. However, there are a couple of schools I have heard of which are not so good, one in Scarborough and the other in Kippa-Ring. The one my son goes to is on the edge of Kippa-Ring towards Rothwell. There are several private schools to choose from and we'll be considering these for High Schooling for our younger two. We're not wealthy or snobs but private schools are much more affordable and widely used than in the UK.

Now I've said my bit about Redcliffe I'm going to post on the meet-ups forum to try and arrange a Redcliffe meet.

Good Luck to those making the move or newly arrived, it's tough at first but well worth it in the end.

Rach
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:33 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rach.n.Gaz
Hi All

We've lived here in Redcliffe (well Kippa-Ring) for almost 4 years now. We came from Manchester and were uncertain as to how it would suit us, especially after reading a lot of posts on here re. Redcliffe and how it used to be known as Deadcliffe. We are so happy now and can't imagine living anywhere else. I had a couple of wobbles after the first 12 - 18 months and wondered if we should have settled somewhere else like Caloundra or Bribie or just down the road at North Lakes, even considered south Bayside or somewhere closer to the City. I think it was more a case of getting used to Queensland living and the whole situation of shops and restaurants closing early plus the slight hillbilly element which is far easier to live with than the knife carrying chavs we used to encounter in Manchester. Now I'm so settled in Redcliffe and have no desire to move ever. It takes time to adapt to a new way of life and i think most people try to rush it.

I'm 36 and have 3 children aged 19 mths, 7 and 18 so am a family person but not completely past it and still like a night out occasionally. In the last 6 months I've had more nights out than I could handle, some fantastic meals with friends or just me and my OH. We get up early every day just because we want to, and our 7 year old plays out on the street with the other kids or they come over to ours and play in our pool or we take them to one of several parks in walking distance or nip down the road to the seafront and grab an icecream. This is just on your average day after school. On the weekend there's unlimted choices for fun days out from 5 mins to 1 hour away. We watch english documentary-type tv shows and cringe at what we could be living like compared to our current lifestyle. Things closing early doesn't bother us anymore plus you get to know what's open late and there are loads of places that do. You can get whatever you need.

Having a teenager it was important for us to live within commuting distance to the City. He's been going there with friends quite safely since he was 15. He works in the City now and is so used to the commute it just isn't an issue to him... a bus to Sandgate station then a train into the city. Husband also works in the City (Conrad Treasury) and is not concerned by the drive in. Between us we've been to several concerts and music festivals and he's got friends all over Brisbane.

It took me a while to make friends but I find that difficult at my age in any situation. Now I've got friends and am making new friends all the time. I work in Redcliffe so have been able to get to know some of the community which is great. I also spent a lot of time in Redcliffe Hospital whilst pregnant and gave birth there. It was a fantastic experience and I can't praise the staff there highly enough.

As for schools, my oldest spent a year in each of the two State High Schools and they were okay, they have there issues like any schools but on the whole I thought they weren't bad. My middle child has attended a state primary school since grade 1 and it's excellent. He's quite a timid child and well behaved and since attending this school has gained confidence and learnt some great values. However, there are a couple of schools I have heard of which are not so good, one in Scarborough and the other in Kippa-Ring. The one my son goes to is on the edge of Kippa-Ring towards Rothwell. There are several private schools to choose from and we'll be considering these for High Schooling for our younger two. We're not wealthy or snobs but private schools are much more affordable and widely used than in the UK.

Now I've said my bit about Redcliffe I'm going to post on the meet-ups forum to try and arrange a Redcliffe meet.

Good Luck to those making the move or newly arrived, it's tough at first but well worth it in the end.

Rach
We've had meet ups in the past at the Belvedere both in the Steak and Crab side and the sports bar/deck side but haven't had one for a while. We may be able to come along depending on the date etc..
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:41 am
Just Joined

settlersfromsomerset is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,
We moved to margate beginning of Jan and settling in okay-kids at redcliffe high and humpybong schools ,both just joined seasnakes rugby.We're really liking sunshine,sand and sea and think the peninsula is central to most places,gold and sunshine coasts.Wheres good places to go at weekend evenings round here?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:45 am
Just Joined

neatad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by settlersfromsomerset
Hi everyone,
We moved to margate beginning of Jan and settling in okay-kids at redcliffe high and humpybong schools ,both just joined seasnakes rugby.We're really liking sunshine,sand and sea and think the peninsula is central to most places,gold and sunshine coasts.Wheres good places to go at weekend evenings round here?
thanks
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:42 am

Wheres good places to go at weekend evenings round here?
Adult or Adult and Child Evenings???
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Hi
both really,we've beento the bayview for a few bevvys and also done a few bbqs down at the beach,all very pleasant but wondering what else goes on,just in case we're missing all the action!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:42 am

Hi
both really,we've beento the bayview for a few bevvys and also done a few bbqs down at the beach,all very pleasant but wondering what else goes on,just in case we're missing all the action!
It's on the south side but http://www.*********.com/forum/barbi...away-days.html

the Belverdere is good as well for nights out with and without kids as has a play bit in corner of steak and crab part also full moon Shorncliffe.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your suggestions
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:44 pm

Thanks for your suggestions
The boat club as Scarborough is also ok for a reasonable pub standard meal and some nice ale and the Redcliffe RSL and Leagues club if you are into that sort of thing, I'm more of a pub person than a club person so not quite my scene.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 3:30 am
Just Joined

andyp80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We moved to Redcliffe 5 weeks ago and really like the place. We live across the road from suttons beach which is one of the best in the area. It is busy enough without the full huslte of Brisbane which isn't too hard to get to if we wanted to.

I'm a Gp and so far am only hearing good things from local about the area and it's future.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by andyp80
Hi

We moved to Redcliffe 5 weeks ago and really like the place. We live across the road from suttons beach which is one of the best in the area. It is busy enough without the full huslte of Brisbane which isn't too hard to get to if we wanted to.

I'm a Gp and so far am only hearing good things from local about the area and it's future.
Also have a ride out to Bribie Island and go to the surfing beach Woorim on the far side, it's cool and has life guards on as well at busy times.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:09 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by annqldau
Also have a ride out to Bribie Island and go to the surfing beach Woorim on the far side, it's cool and has life guards on as well at busy times.
Yep, Woorim is where we go if we're planning on spending a full-day at the beach. Half days or 'time-wasting' we trot down to Suttons. You can't really compare the two, Woorim is much nicer and not too busy either. Planning on heading there this w/end actually.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

andyp80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annqldau
Went to the surf beach at Bribie at the week-end and had a great time in the waves. As you said Lifeguards at week-end is excellant.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:08 am
Just Joined

chippy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nbn8
Hi

Myself and OH are looking to settle Brisbane area. Thinking about Redcliffe how far from Brisbane? Gold and Sunshine Coasts? Are their any problems renting and avg cost of property 4 bed? We are a family with 2 children aged 6 and 3 are their any nice schools. Basically is this a nice area? How big on average is Redcliffe is it near the beach? thanks Nicky
Hi we have lived in redcliffe for about 6 months great area if you have kids, the best schools here are scarborough and hummpybong, you can do cbd in about an hour at rush hour, i have 3 young children and there is plenty for them to do, loads of parks, lagoon which is free loads of beaches, clubs for older kids, theres the league club which has a kids club (very handy). The average cost for a 4 bedroom house is about $400 per week, you do need to take into account living costs like day car, shopping, bills, doctors and dentists you pay for so go to a doctors that do bulk billing. Redcliffe is about an hour from gold coast and sunshine coast, oz zoo is about 30 mins away. Hope this helps but please do look into everything first as it is very expensive for the first six months, good look joanne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.