Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it really that expensive to live in Oz?

Wikiposts

Is it really that expensive to live in Oz?

Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all
Default Re: Is it really that expensive to live in Oz?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I grew up in Benoni on the East Rand but spent some years in Mtunzini which is 40kms South of Empangeni. I still have a property there that I am about to sell. A fantastic part of the World that is now unfortunately becoming unliveable.
I'm not surprised you were hijacked - just another day in the Rainbow nation.
Empangeni, is that not were Nelson Mandala is from.?
Sure we drove through there, many moons ago. Hell Benoni,not good now hey, most of are friends are in veltaveedan, we actually were in Bromhoff, Then moved to olivedale.
My hubby worked all over Jo-burg , one job we had was m-nett, the other get ready for it, was soweto water works, in the centre of soweto, the contract lasted 12mths there.. he only made it out cos he had a guy called sunny boy working with him, that new the lingo.
But wot a life.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milly123
Empangeni, is that not were Nelson Mandala is from.?
Sure we drove through there, many moons ago. Hell Benoni,not good now hey, most of are friends are in veltaveedan, we actually were in Bromhoff, Then moved to olivedale.
My hubby worked all over Jo-burg , one job we had was m-nett, the other get ready for it, was soweto water works, in the centre of soweto, the contract lasted 12mths there.. he only made it out cos he had a guy called sunny boy working with him, that new the lingo.
But wot a life.
No, N Mandela is from the Eastern Cape - a long way away!
Benoni is okay. Don't come with your Northern Suburbs attitudes.
I went into Soweto when i was in the army. There was 120 of us, armed to the teeth and in armoured vehicles - anything less, forget it.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

cabaj will become famous soon enoughcabaj will become famous soon enough

I grew up in Benoni on the East Rand but spent some years in Mtunzini which is 40kms South of Empangeni. I still have a property there that I am about to sell. A fantastic part of the World that is now unfortunately becoming unliveable.
I'm not surprised you were hijacked - just another day in the Rainbow nation.
Hi Amazulu - don't come across too many people from that part of the world. I grew up in Eshowe and spent much of my youth on the beaches of Mtunzini. Been some while though, when last were you there?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabaj
Hi Amazulu - don't come across too many people from that part of the world. I grew up in Eshowe and spent much of my youth on the beaches of Mtunzini. Been some while though, when last were you there?
2003. The beaches are superb although you are not allowed to drive on them anymore which is a shame. Mtunzini is still a sleepy little place although there has been a lot of development. I'm actually surprised that it has not been overdeveloped given what's happened to so many other coastal areas in SA. When were you last there?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

cabaj will become famous soon enoughcabaj will become famous soon enough

2003. The beaches are superb although you are not allowed to drive on them anymore which is a shame. Mtunzini is still a sleepy little place although there has been a lot of development. I'm actually surprised that it has not been overdeveloped given what's happened to so many other coastal areas in SA. When were you last there?
I still have family up the north coast so called in at Mtunzini at the end of 2003. As you say little has changed. The development is slowly creeping up and the north coast from Durban to Salt Rock has changed totally since we left in 1991. Played golf at Zimbali last year which was pretty amazing - some serious houses have gone up there.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
I see what you are saying, but what I meant was comparatively speaking COL in Aus was cheap compared to UK back in 2000. Now it's on a par.
Yup - it was just before 2000 when there was all that talk about rip-off Britain.
Great thing was, the supermarkets seemed to get their act together almost overnight and prices plummeted for some things.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cabaj
I still have family up the north coast so called in at Mtunzini at the end of 2003. As you say little has changed. The development is slowly creeping up and the north coast from Durban to Salt Rock has changed totally since we left in 1991. Played golf at Zimbali last year which was pretty amazing - some serious houses have gone up there.
My hubby's last game of golf was in palabora,( home of the amarula wich is sitting in my fridge,) christmas 05, that has also now gone big on the house side , a few yrs ago, there was nothing but lion and monkey living on it,
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:53 pm
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice

Originally Posted by GillyG
I've been reading quite a few threads that say how expensive it is to live in Oz- cars cost more than the UK, food is more expensive (and poorer quality), house prices are on the rise etc.

I live half an hour from Gatwick and a 1 bed flat costs approx £150000 ($345000Aus), diesel is a staggering £1.10p a litre and a glass of wine is approx £4 a glass (nearly $10Aus).

Is it really that bad compared with the price of living in SE England?

We are thinking of moving anywhere between the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast and I'm thinking it is going to be roughly the same cost of living (but hoping it's going to be less!)
It's way too expensive to coem over to OZ............better stay in UK
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hoola
It's way too expensive to coem over to OZ............better stay in UK
You saying there's too many Brits there???!!!