Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it really that expensive to live in Oz?

Is it really that expensive to live in Oz?

Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is it really that expensive to live in Oz?

I've been reading quite a few threads that say how expensive it is to live in Oz- cars cost more than the UK, food is more expensive (and poorer quality), house prices are on the rise etc.

I live half an hour from Gatwick and a 1 bed flat costs approx £150000 ($345000Aus), diesel is a staggering £1.10p a litre and a glass of wine is approx £4 a glass (nearly $10Aus).

Is it really that bad compared with the price of living in SE England?

We are thinking of moving anywhere between the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast and I'm thinking it is going to be roughly the same cost of living (but hoping it's going to be less!)

Last edited by GillyG; Jan 27th 2008 at 7:48 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really that expensive to live in Oz?

Originally Posted by GillyG
I've been reading quite a few threads that say how expensive it is to live in Oz- cars cost more than the UK, food is more expensive (and poorer quality), house prices are on the rise etc.

I live half an hour from Gatwick and a 1 bed flat costs approx £15000 ($345000Aus), diesel is a staggering £1.10p a litre and a glass of wine is approx £4 a glass (nearly $10Aus).

We are thinking of moving anywhere between the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast and I'm thinking it is going to be roughly the same cost of living (but hoping it's going to be less!)
Cost of living in Brisbane is abut the same as I was used to in Brighton........
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Is that in the city of Brisbane? Do you think it would be cheaper living on the Gold or Sunshine Coasts?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:47 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I live half an hour from Gatwick and a 1 bed flat costs approx £15000 ($345000Aus), diesel is a staggering £1.10p a litre and a glass of wine is approx £4 a glass (nearly $10Aus).

Dont believe everything you read is the moral to the story and don't start comparing individual items.

Its about the same when you take into account that salaries and wages tend to be less.

But don't think that Australia is cheap though. On face value, compared to the pound it is and directly comparing costs of fuel etc, but when you start earning dollars its all pretty much the same.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:49 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Is that in the city of Brisbane? Do you think it would be cheaper living on the Gold or Sunshine Coasts?
Not really. The whole of south east Queensland is booming. Sure, places on the sunshine coast are cheaper, but then employment prospects are very limited.

It all amounts to the same thing. If its a really nice place to live, close to everything etc etc - then your going to pay for it.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it cheaper in Aus. But I came over when the rate was $2.5 to the pound. People arriving now may find it different.

For me:

- Groceries are about the same or slightly lower in Aus (depending on the season). The quality is as good as or better than what I used to get in the UK.

- Transport is cheaper in Aus. The petrol price makes a big difference. I know that you'll hear people saying you have to drive further but that's a choice. Aussies average about the same number of miles per year as Brits.

- Council rates are cheaper and I think they do a better job.

- Utilities are about the same averaged out over the year. Our bills are higher in winter months but winter does not last as long. Also our house is much bigger and we have a pool.

- Medical stuff is more expensive.

- Taxes are less. Although the advertised rates in Aus look higher there is a lot more hidden taxes in the UK. The only people who would do better in the UK (tax wise) are the self-employed.

- Going out is cheaper in Aus. And the food is generally better. I find that entertainment is generally cheaper (or free) in Aus.

- Beer is more expensive. Wine is cheaper.

I'll stop there for now.

How cheap or expensive Aus is will depend on your old and new locations, the exchange rate when you change, how good your job is, what you buy, how much you change your life, etc...
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:48 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

I live half an hour from Gatwick and a 1 bed flat costs approx £150000 ($345000Aus), diesel is a staggering £1.10p a litre and a glass of wine is approx £4 a glass (nearly $10Aus).

Not sure where you have read that information. Cost of living is comparable.
New cars are cheaper, 2nd hand cars are more expensive, food is better quality especially meat, vegetables and fruit. Fuel is cheaper.
We live in a bigger house in Oz with a swimming pool in a nice area and the mortgage is half what we paid in the UK. My wife and I earn less in Oz but have more money left over at the end of the month. I guesse it is how you want to live.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:49 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

We find the cost of living etc to be higher than what we were used to in the UK. We came from an area that didn't see massive house price hikes etc.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Gav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to all

From my reccie:

Food is about the same cost but better quality (especially fresh produce)

Going out is about the same

Weather is nicer

Petrol is cheaper

Weather is nicer

People are nicer

Weather is nicer

More house for your money

My wages will go up 33% as a civil engineer

Gav
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:33 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Euro Cars are more expensive well top end BMW, Merc..

Every other model especially Japanese are WAY cheaper.

We pay in $ what you guys pay in £'s on some...

Nick
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

New cars are approx same price as in UK, used cars are more expensive simply due to supply and demand.
Live in North Yorks, can buy a 3 bed house for same price as that 1 bed flat.
Diesel the same price and £4 for a glass of wine would only be seen in posh wine bar. Diesel cheaper in Aus but need to travel by car is greater and will use it over a greater mileage as would be very lucky to live a walk from local shop. Don't drink so won't be an issue how much a glass of any alcohol costs.
SE of England is far more expensive that most of the UK, not sure how it compares to Aus prices, when we were in Aus prices appeared slightly cheaper, but that's comparing wage of $90,000 + earning in UK that we won't be able to match in Aus

Last edited by Australia_bound?; Jan 27th 2008 at 11:51 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:49 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

I have found that food has gone up quite a bit in the last year or two here, but meat seems cheaper than the UK, bread and chocolate is more expensive. Dont drink so cant comment, but a carton of beer is about $30 I think. Petrol is cheaper (but you may drive more because the heat makes it a misery to walk too far), and in WA there is no MOT, not sure about other states. No tv licence. No rates if you rent. Rents are high at the moment, but probably not compared to the south of England. Parking is cheaper i think, here in WA. We have more money left after bills each week than we did in the UK, plus the lifestyle is heaps better. Beach is free after all!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys, things aren't that bad after all! Like some of you have said, the fact that it is nicer weather and the people are nicer (I guess that's a bit of a generalisation but hey) will make a big difference.

So if there are no MOTs, TV licences etc. what would I have to pay for that I might not expect coming from the UK?

Thanks
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cherry6
I have found that food has gone up quite a bit in the last year or two here, but meat seems cheaper than the UK, bread and chocolate is more expensive. Dont drink so cant comment, but a carton of beer is about $30 I think. Petrol is cheaper (but you may drive more because the heat makes it a misery to walk too far), and in WA there is no MOT, not sure about other states. No tv licence. No rates if you rent. Rents are high at the moment, but probably not compared to the south of England. Parking is cheaper i think, here in WA. We have more money left after bills each week than we did in the UK, plus the lifestyle is heaps better. Beach is free after all!
What do you mean by no rates if you rent?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:09 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

We came from Horsham West Sussex and its about the same

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.