Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it really that expensive to live in Oz?

Is it really that expensive to live in Oz?

Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:24 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really that expensive to live in Oz?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We're all different and all like different things in life so each to their own.

I think Empangeni is a dump.

There you go everyone is entilted to their own opinion.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:26 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Exactly. We get it that you don't like Perth, now shouldn't you be in bed early or something to get ready for work in gods country.
Isn't that Perth
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
only my opinion though, we are all entilted to that.
Which kind of makes this thread pointless if you think about it.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:27 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Isn't that Perth
Perth isn't for everyone.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:28 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Okay every continent apart from S. America and Antarctica.
I've done that too

Although for some reason a lot of people don't think that Egypt is in Africa. Then again a lot of people don't think
Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:50 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GillyG
When we are bored in the UK we end up going to the cinema/pub/out for a meal which easily costs £30 but in Oz we can just laze on the beach, surf and have a bbq with friends in the garden- PERFECT (and not as expensive)!!

And that is exactly what you will do and love every minute of it.

We often stroll down to the beach after work, even in early spring and early winter when it is too cold to swim it is lovely just watching the children run around and in winter we wrap up, go down and watch the waves and wild life. All through the summer we have loads picnics at the village beach by the canals, by the estuary, in one of the many local parks and of course at any one of the dozens of beaches. We have had some great days enjoying the outdoors with friends-we all bring tents, umbrellas etc for shade, boards, snorkel sets, beach games etc and spend hours down there.

Barbecues are a regular occurrence we very rarely have mozzies in this neck of the woods and when we do we use repellent and a lamp. The 8:30 sunsets in summer are not an issue, we have external lighting so the kids still swim in the pool when it is dark and most evenings we sit out on our balcony, watch the sunset over the ocean and then enjoy the stars.

Just wanted to assure you that the life you are talking about is totally doable, that is not to say that those who disagree are lying just that it is a reality for us and hopefully will be for you too.

I agree with Amazulu this is a great place to live, work and raise a family in terms of lifestyle, income, safety, future prosperity and the beauty of the place. I wouldn't live any where else and yes I have traveled extensively (previous career show business 12 years touring world wide -except Antarctica).
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:27 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philnorris
I spent ages writing a reply but then realised,

Well said the exchange rate shouldnt really come in to it when thinking about your on-going cost of living.
Really is a weird one, to get your head round.

Example:

Bob n Cindy arrive Perth 2004 Exchange Rate $2.50 / Pound
Lisa n Del arive Perth 2004 Exchange rate $1.40 / pound

Now Bob n Cindy may have exchanged 30k
Lisa n Del may have exchanged 30k

But Bob n Cindy, albeit have more dollars to their pound , spend on the basis that everything is dilluted by 2.5 cos they are stuck in the exchange rate trap.

Lisa n Del, realise that their quid aint worth much more than their dollar, and spend money with that in mind.

Result 6 months later.
Bob n Cindy, are Skint, find everything isnt as cheap as they thought, and are heading back to uk.
Lisa n Del, suddenly start earning dollars, and as the exchange rate falls in favour of the Aussie Dollar, realise they are better off, dollr for pound + lifestyle.

Its a weird one to get your head around, but i find it hard to explain. I tried tho

Ste
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Really is a weird one, to get your head round.

Example:

Bob n Cindy arrive Perth 2004 Exchange Rate $2.50 / Pound
Lisa n Del arive Perth 2004 Exchange rate $1.40 / pound

Now Bob n Cindy may have exchanged 30k
Lisa n Del may have exchanged 30k

But Bob n Cindy, albeit have more dollars to their pound , spend on the basis that everything is dilluted by 2.5 cos they are stuck in the exchange rate trap.

Lisa n Del, realise that their quid aint worth much more than their dollar, and spend money with that in mind.

Result 6 months later.
Bob n Cindy, are Skint, find everything isnt as cheap as they thought, and are heading back to uk.
Lisa n Del, suddenly start earning dollars, and as the exchange rate falls in favour of the Aussie Dollar, realise they are better off, dollr for pound + lifestyle.

Its a weird one to get your head around, but i find it hard to explain. I tried tho

Ste
I kind of understand what you are saying. I earned good money in the UK but considered myself an average earner. Although we were not struggling by any means, we had to economise an a lot of things - private schooling would have been out of the question for instance.

Over here, and admittiedly I now earn more than I did in the UK, we can pretty much afford anything we want. Okay, I'll never have a Porsche or a $400k boat but pretty much everything else I can afford. As I am a pretty materialistic person, it's one of the great attractions of living here in Perth. High income - lower overall expenses = more disposable income.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:42 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Yep.
Same here.

I think im looking at it, or trying to explain to UK residents > wannabe Ozzies

That their perception can and is sometimes based on the exchange rate, and similar scenario for 2 different sets of people, with slightly different variables, can produce weird results.

I totally agree with the materialistic thing.

I am so into bettering our life, and ploughing ahead on projects I would never have dreamed of in uk.
I am actually amazed, that by taking the plunge, you can reap the benefits.

Mind you I am after a Porsche, a 911 .. my ultimate car. But I will just make do with the Rolls.

Rolls Kinardly
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Yep.
Same here.

I think im looking at it, or trying to explain to UK residents > wannabe Ozzies

That their perception can and is sometimes based on the exchange rate, and similar scenario for 2 different sets of people, with slightly different variables, can produce weird results.

I totally agree with the materialistic thing.

I am so into bettering our life, and ploughing ahead on projects I would never have dreamed of in uk.
I am actually amazed, that by taking the plunge, you can reap the benefits.

Mind you I am after a Porsche, a 911 .. my ultimate car. But I will just make do with the Rolls.

Rolls Kinardly
You hear so many stories on here about people battling, struggling, mortgage too high, COL too much etc. Well we're not. My life has never been better and living in Perth is part of it. Hopefully, someone reading this in the UK will realise that not everyone over here is earning less money and struggling financially and life is the constant battle that you read about on this site.

I'm off to the Alfa Romeo showroom after work.......
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

But the reality is that the exchange rate hangs around 2.4 most of the time. the likes of 1.1 or 3 are few and far between. I usually use 2.5 (i.e double the $ price and double again) just as a reality check sometimes when I'm buying bigger stuff. Sometimes a $1000 sounds expensive but £400 (or even £440) may not.

At the end of the week, if I use 2.2. or 2.5, my weekly shopping is now (2007) about the same as it was (2004) in the UK without any loss of lifestyle.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:38 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gilly, you might find this thread useful re. costs:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507063

Re. having a good time for not much money - I have friends in both Sydney and Melbourne, as well as one in the wilds of TNQ, and they all tell me you can have a lot more fun, a lot more cheaply, than you can where I currently live and I would imagine where you live too. I'm told there is a lot more going on outdoors, FoC, etc., and leisure time is very relaxed - you're more likely to go to the beach, have a barbie with your mates or drink a few bottles of red at home than go to expensive places drinking champagne and cosmos.

Maybe I'm getting old (as are they, apparently!) but that's starting to appeal to me.

You don't sound like you're expecting Nirvana; that's a good start. Best of Luck.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
But the reality is that the exchange rate hangs around 2.4 most of the time. the likes of 1.1 or 3 are few and far between. I usually use 2.5 (i.e double the $ price and double again) just as a reality check sometimes when I'm buying bigger stuff. Sometimes a $1000 sounds expensive but £400 (or even £440) may not.

At the end of the week, if I use 2.2. or 2.5, my weekly shopping is now (2007) about the same as it was (2004) in the UK without any loss of lifestyle.
Dont you think, that the $1000 you spend is similar to 1000 pounds? for what you get
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I'm told there is a lot more going on outdoors, FoC, etc., and leisure time is very relaxed - you're more likely to go to the beach, have a barbie with your mates or drink a few bottles of red at home than go to expensive places drinking champagne and cosmos.
Hmmm, not sure about this one, I love going out to expensive places and drinking champagne and cosmos!!! There's more free stuff to do with kids though.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:04 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I shan't be giving it up completely, but at the moment we have a pretty shallow, hedonistic existence (the plus side to being unable to have kids ) and sometimes I think we need to rebalance it. My liver will thank me for it.

I'm hoping Sydney is a lot les humid than Sg so I can get more fresh air, for one thing. I currently go from house to taxi to gym or shopping mall and back, most days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.