Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qualifications equivalent

Qualifications equivalent

Old May 3rd 2018, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifications equivalent

Originally Posted by carcajou
$40,000 is not a good wage for Australia. You will really struggle on that, especially if your visa does not allow you to have a second job.
Nor is 17k in the UK.
Old May 3rd 2018, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Juliaw151 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ebo1608
That's good: BTEC gets mentioned in the list of equivalent quals, https://www.acecqa.gov.au/qualifications/nqf-approved.
Unfortunately not my particular course, so still a wait and see game as to whether it will be transferable
Old May 3rd 2018, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ebo1608
OP needs to come here with a plan to further herself as an educator's salary ain't much. BTW, I don't think kinder teachers are paid that much either. We have a friend who is studying for her kinder teacher degree whilst working full-time as a diploma, so it can be done. Saying that, I would recommend arriving with enough cash to cover costs of $20-30k a year. If it takes 3 years to get the degree, need $60-90k on top of salary for living. Plus, you need the cost of tuition, which hopefully is domestic fees of about $7k per full-time year. Whether domestic or international depends on the visa.
There’s no money in childcare,I was always told. The course I’m looking at, and have been offered, well it’s the cert 3, the diploma, and then advanced diploma in leadership and management. And the international fees for each of those is $4500, $7500, and $5005 respectively. But I think what I’ll do is get my BTEC assessed first as upon looking at the cert 3 I’m not so sure I’d need to do it, think it would be repetitive, so if it comes out ,y BTEC is equivalent I should just be able to do the diploma and the leadership and management course, which will bring ,y costs down a bit.
Old May 3rd 2018, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rammygirl
On that 17k how do you live now. Do you rent a home? Get benefits? Own a car?. How would that translate to Australia?
I rent and own my own car yes. No benefits.
Old May 3rd 2018, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliaw151
I rent and own my own car yes. No benefits.
That is a good start. And yes some things are more expensive here and some things cheaper. Initial set up costs a lot so best to have a nest egg to move with.
Old May 5th 2018, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

If OP is willing to live inland regional, it's possible to buy a house in the $100k to $200k range. "Inland regional" - think places like Mildura, Dubbo or the WA Wheatbelt - not Geelong, Newcastle etc. In that range it will be an old fibro house, possibly with asbestos, with 60 year old plumbing, and quite probably not in a good neighbourhood.

But owning your own house in the regions could be a nice alternative to having four flatmates in Sydney or Melbourne and commuting out to a regional centre for work.
Old May 5th 2018, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliaw151
so if it comes out ,y BTEC is equivalent I should just be able to do the diploma and the leadership and management course, which will bring ,y costs down a bit.
I think it will be equivalent to Aus Dip, see attached. Have you looked at the Adv Dip in Childcare, which is more about management than kiddies?

If you want to be a kinder teacher probably best to use Dip to get credits and not bother with Adv Dip. For example, you could get 8 units credit, https://www.swinburne.edu.au/study/c...CHC50113/local, out of a total of 32, https://www.swinburne.edu.au/study/c...rly-childhood/, equivalent to 1 year credit on a 4 year degree. Intentional fees are $24550/year.

EDIT: It seems 187 is pr visa so no international fees for you! Come to VIC and you will get zero fees for some quals, https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/375808. No childcare courses, which is interesting as it wasn't that long ago that the Feds would pay for dip and adv dip in childcare.
Attached Files
File Type: doc

Last edited by scrubbedexpat020; May 5th 2018 at 11:02 pm. Reason: Visa 187
Old May 6th 2018, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You are of course aware there is every chance the occupation could be removed. If you were studying in Australia at that time, there may be no pathway to a visa after study?