Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Qualifications equivalent

Qualifications equivalent

Old Apr 21st 2018, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifications equivalent

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Could you post a link
I found one. Is there a prize? Badge, pencil? Those were the days.

https://www.seek.com.au/job/35838430...8f08be-3740857

https://jobsearch.gov.au/ would be a good site but is down atm.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat020; Apr 21st 2018 at 11:39 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 12:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
I found one. Is there a prize? Badge, pencil? Those were the days.

https://www.seek.com.au/job/35838430...8f08be-3740857

https://jobsearch.gov.au/ would be a good site but is down atm.
Gold star for you!! Karratha, Port Hedland, Pilbara. Who wouldn't want to live and work there?

I'm out. I guess if the OP knows a way then good luck to her.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

OP is not eligible for the position advertised. It requires a Diploma, which is a couple notches above a Cert III.

I would also humbly suggest that the linked posting in South Hedland (which I am familiar with) is going to be enormously difficult to last two years in, for a huge number of reasons, and may not be the best example to hold up to OP.

If OP is willing to take on feedback and advice - and I am not fully sure she is - a way forward might be to come on a WHV, familiarise herself with childwork centres in viable regional areas, and then if a legitimate advertisement comes up, they can put a name with a face, will know her abilities and she'll be first in line for sponsorship.

I don't think letters to Santa Claus in Outback communities is the best way forwards.

Good luck. I'm also out.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 1:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Gold star for you!!
Thanks. Such a long time since I got one.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 1:11 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Info on the 187 here - https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/187-

Given the processing time looks to be on the longer side, I'm not sure how well this would work when the applicant is outside Australia to start. Looks to me that from start to finish they could be waiting 2 years for an applicant to be able to start.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 1:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou

If OP is willing to take on feedback and advice - and I am not fully sure she is - a way forward might be to come on a WHV, familiarise herself with childwork centres in viable regional areas, and then if a legitimate advertisement comes up, they can put a name with a face, will know her abilities and she'll be first in line for sponsorship.

She can't do the WHV, she's already been out on one.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Dmorgan07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if I could shed any light on this as I have just been granted my 189 visa under early childhood teacher, but I have no knowledge of 187 visa so sorry if I’m jumping in wrongly...

I had to do an aitsl assessment to prove my work experience and degree as suitable for skills needed to qualify for the visa. I also did an ACECQA assessment which takes your credentials from overseas and how they translate into Australian- this is needed for employment to work in childcare/long day care centres in Australia as everyone has to have their qualifications recognised by ACECQA (I suppose most people get this done automatically as they enrol in college or whatever on a course already approved by them). In order to pass both I had to prove I had 4 years of study at university level (I had 3 years bachelors degree and 1 year PGCE) plus proven placements at birth to 8, this was pretty much the same with the ACECQA.

It is not simple as “aitsl is for teachers, ACECQA is for early years” you need both.

I have no idea how the 187 visa works. If you can be sponsored regionally for any role within any sector then it sounds like to me that the OP will have the qualifications and skills needed to pass the acecqa assessment to qualify for a diploma level 3 lead educator. If you have to be sponsored under a skill on the medium llist the only one that is on there is early childhood teacher and OP wouldn’t pass the aitsl test.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Juliaw151 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dmorgan07
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if I could shed any light on this as I have just been granted my 189 visa under early childhood teacher, but I have no knowledge of 187 visa so sorry if I’m jumping in wrongly...

I had to do an aitsl assessment to prove my work experience and degree as suitable for skills needed to qualify for the visa. I also did an ACECQA assessment which takes your credentials from overseas and how they translate into Australian- this is needed for employment to work in childcare/long day care centres in Australia as everyone has to have their qualifications recognised by ACECQA (I suppose most people get this done automatically as they enrol in college or whatever on a course already approved by them). In order to pass both I had to prove I had 4 years of study at university level (I had 3 years bachelors degree and 1 year PGCE) plus proven placements at birth to 8, this was pretty much the same with the ACECQA.

It is not simple as “aitsl is for teachers, ACECQA is for early years” you need both.

I have no idea how the 187 visa works. If you can be sponsored regionally for any role within any sector then it sounds like to me that the OP will have the qualifications and skills needed to pass the acecqa assessment to qualify for a diploma level 3 lead educator. If you have to be sponsored under a skill on the medium llist the only one that is on there is early childhood teacher and OP wouldn’t pass the aitsl test.
The 187 has its own list, and doesn’t require (for the visa conditions anyway) assessment. Although I’m going to get my national diploma assessed anyway as it would be good to know what it comes out as there. I don’t need 4 years of tertiary study for childcare group leader on the Rsms.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

What amuses me about the RSMS visa is that in Victoria it applies everywhere except Melbourne, https://liveinmelbourne.vic.gov.au/c...gration-scheme. I wonder how many people focus on "regional" and conjure up visions of Skippy and the bush, instead of Ballarat, Geelong, etc. Nice places easily withing striking distance of Melbourne CBD.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 10:30 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliaw151
The 187 has its own list, and doesn’t require (for the visa conditions anyway) assessment. Although I’m going to get my national diploma assessed anyway as it would be good to know what it comes out as there. I don’t need 4 years of tertiary study for childcare group leader on the Rsms.
I think you may need to re-read the requirements. This is form the page linked to earlier:

At the time of application lodgement, you must provide with your online application:
•evidence that you have at least three years of relevant work experience
•a positive, valid skills assessment in your nominated occupation if you are applying for a:
◦subclass 186 visa under the Direct Entry stream in any occupation (the skill assessment must be conducted by the relevant assessing authority listed in the list of eligible skilled occupations)
◦subclass 187 visa under the Direct Entry stream in an occupation specified in a legislative instrument and you hold overseas qualifications. Important: a skills assessment will be required for all nominated occupations for all applications lodged on or after 1 July 2018.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I think you may need to re-read the requirements. This is form the page linked to earlier:
There are two legislative instruments list, one that doesn’t need skills assessments, and one that says those occupations do require it. Mines on the one that says they don’t. However, I did say I’d be getting my ND assessed anyway, as it would be beneficial for employers to know what it is, and also if I later on choose to do further study I know what I already have, if you get me. So it is a moot point.

Last edited by Juliaw151; Apr 30th 2018 at 11:16 am.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 1:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliaw151
There are two legislative instruments list, one that doesn’t need skills assessments, and one that says those occupations do require it. Mines on the one that says they don’t. However, I did say I’d be getting my ND assessed anyway, as it would be beneficial for employers to know what it is, and also if I later on choose to do further study I know what I already have, if you get me. So it is a moot point.
I always thought that one was for the transitional stream, and thus didn't need an assessment, and the other was for direct, which did, so you've taught me something tonight, thanks!

Be careful if you are just looking for an assessment which is for recognition of qualifications for work purposes not for migration though. Most employers don't give house room to immigration assessments as they just tell you if you qualify for a visa. Before you spend a huge amount of money make sure it'll be valid for what you want it to be.
For instance an electrician has can get a skills assessment for a visa, but no employer will care, they want said electrician to jump through fresh hoops once they arrive.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I always thought that one was for the transitional stream, and thus didn't need an assessment, and the other was for direct, which did, so you've taught me something tonight, thanks!

Be careful if you are just looking for an assessment which is for recognition of qualifications for work purposes not for migration though. Most employers don't give house room to immigration assessments as they just tell you if you qualify for a visa. Before you spend a huge amount of money make sure it'll be valid for what you want it to be.
For instance an electrician has can get a skills assessment for a visa, but no employer will care, they want said electrician to jump through fresh hoops once they arrive.
Well, that’s what it says, I may be wrong and taking It completely the wrong way. But yeah it says one list is assessments and one isn’t. Yes true, i’ll Apply to acecqa for my assessment. Most of the jobs I’m finding are saying acecqa approved qualifications if from overseas.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It does say that ALL occupations will require a skills assessment from July though, this is new. There is no way you would be ready to lodge an application by July. First you have to find a sponsor, then they need approval, then they need to nominate you and get that approved so you can apply. This process can take over a year.

The new regulations are also more onerous for employers so they may be less willing to entertain overseas applicants.

What ANZCO occupation from the list are you planning to apply under?
Old Apr 30th 2018, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rammygirl
It does say that ALL occupations will require a skills assessment from July though, this is new. There is no way you would be ready to lodge an application by July. First you have to find a sponsor, then they need approval, then they need to nominate you and get that approved so you can apply. This process can take over a year.

The new regulations are also more onerous for employers so they may be less willing to entertain overseas applicants.

What ANZCO occupation from the list are you planning to apply under?
Oh that’s my bad, didn’t see that. No I mean I’m on holiday next week so I can’t do my skills assessment till I’m back anyway. I’m not fussed how long it takes (within reason obviously, don’t wanna be waiting 10+ years!)

There are quite a few jobs about that say as long as overseas qualifications are acecqa approved they are happy to take on overseas applicants. It would be 421111.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.