Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Poms, British or English?

Are Poms, British or English?

Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Poms, British or English?

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

It has changed its claim to an aspiration
Precisely. There's a significant difference between the two.

Prior to 1998 (when the Irish did 'claim' Northern Ireland), I am not aware of one single other country in the international community that recognised the Republic of Ireland as the legitimate sovereign power in Northern Ireland.

Its irrelevant whether a Northern Irish person has renounced their British Citizenship. If they go up to an Oz immigration offical with their Irish passport, they'll be classified as Irish. So if Australia classifies them as Irish, and Ireland accepts them as Irish, and they class themselves as Irish, who cares that the UK thinks they're British?
Probably not even the UK cares

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 31st 2004 at 11:18 am.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 2:06 pm
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by BAY
I'm not Scottish or Welsh or Northern Irish or British . I'm ENGLISH and proud of it !

And I'm sure the Scots are proud to be Scottish, the Welsh are proud to be Welsh and the Northern Irish are proud to be Northern Irish.

The PC Brigade who say we are British make me mad
So you have obviously must have been around when Queen Elizabeth 1 was around, when she was Queen of 'England'??
Now that nation is known as UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND, or didnt you do geography?

Old Aug 31st 2004, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

In reply to a comment I do know someone who is catholic from Northern Ireland and would consider themselves British, there are some catholics that would be unionists politically.

From Katie
Old Sep 12th 2004, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

FatherChristmas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by andrew63
As far as I know, Pommie derives from POHMIE which stands for "Prisoners Of Her Majesty In England".
A term used to describe the prisoners sent over many years ago.
Thus, many Australians are descended from Pommies!

Sure way to get into a blue when you tell them this!

Andrew
The way I heard it on my various travels was that, when immigrants arrived in Oz in the early days, and the sun began to make them all red and peely, one old Digger looked at them and said, "Bladdy immigrants? They look more like bladdy pomegranates."
Old Sep 12th 2004, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Blossy is an unknown quantity at this point

Most definitely I'm English
Old Sep 24th 2004, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

steven'n'debi will become famous soon enoughsteven'n'debi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Slater
All immigrants were called Jimmy Grants, later they were refered to as Pommy Grants as a lot of them came in on ships carrying pommygranites.

Slater
i was told it was cos after so long on the boat they all looked like pommy granites!!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 7:46 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prototype

I have 2 (A & B) but you are right .....not much advantage to be gained from having the Irish one.!!

We shall see

http://www.itv.com/news/world_1851225.html
Old Oct 6th 2004, 8:50 am
wombat42

They all look the same to me