Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are Poms, British or English?

Wikiposts

Are Poms, British or English?

Old Aug 28th 2004, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Are Poms, British or English?

It's all gone mad and too PC now. I also Live in Manchester and I feel I am British but I can't put that on an application form over here. I was told off for it once at a job interview.

You are what you are a nice person me thinks

Lace
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:05 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Poms, British or English?

Your Poms, simple as that. Please dont confuse the situation.
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

My hubby is from northern ireland, is he a pommy too as he is British?
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

who cares, were all pepole poms or not!
Old Aug 28th 2004, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

that is true, but it is intersting for me as I fully expect to be called a pommie when I move out to Oz, hopefully not a whingin one, but wondered would hubby get classed as one too.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
that is true, but it is intersting for me as I fully expect to be called a pommie when I move out to Oz, hopefully not a whingin one, but wondered would hubby get classed as one too.
Well so far the big confusion the ozzies have for me and Mrs JTL is what to call us I'm Scots born, brought up in Northern Ireland and worked in Dublin for 5 years, she is Chinese born, brought up in Hong Kong/Canada/US, and then we both worked in Oz, London, Northern Ireland, and Scotland.

So basically we can talk our way out of any label. But you'll find in Brisbane, people love to talk about their backgrounds. Everyone is 1st 2nd 3rd generation something, and we pretty much have all bases covered on that, so we end up having long conversations with the most unexpected people about their histories. Met some interesting people in Ormiston (Brisbane suburb) today, one old lady was originally from Barrhead, near Glasgow, but then lived in Belfast for many years before emigrating to Oz 30 years ago.

I haven't been labelled a pom once, I musn't be hanging out in the right places.

Cheers,
JTL

P.S. Did you know Ormiston was created by a Scots guy?

first one ever to start a sugar plantation in Oz, and bought Hope Island on gold coast.

Last edited by JackTheLad; Aug 29th 2004 at 12:40 am.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 12:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Not technically

Some Australians do however confuse the terms 'English' and 'British'.

And not all may be fully aware that Northern Ireland is British unless it's explained to them.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by debbiemc
i was lead to believe by an a friend living in aus ,that the term pom..pome...meant 'prisoner of mother england', anyone else heard that ?
i heard similar, but for poms, its supposed to mean prisoner of majestys service,,,,,,,,,,,means the same..........jan
Old Aug 29th 2004, 2:55 pm
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by lacey21
It's all gone mad and too PC now. I also Live in Manchester and I feel I am British but I can't put that on an application form over here. I was told off for it once at a job interview.

You are what you are a nice person me thinks

Lace
I agree LAce, the world is becoming a rediculously pc obsessed place! Stuff em I say!
No way am I 'English'. Mancunian, Lancastrian and BRITISH!! amen

Old Aug 29th 2004, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

mary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant futuremary1 has a brilliant future

Depends on his religion.

A friend from Northern Ireland once told me that the Catholics like to be called Irish and the Protestants British and thats why they are entitled to 2 passports- Irish and British.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 7:14 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Slater
All immigrants were called Jimmy Grants, later they were refered to as Pommy Grants as a lot of them came in on ships carrying pommygranites.

Slater

Another theory I once heard was that the prison warders had POHM (Porperty of his/her Majesty) on their uniforms and were therefore called poms...

Cheers
Al.
Old Aug 29th 2004, 10:37 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

I'm not Scottish or Welsh or Northern Irish or British . I'm ENGLISH and proud of it !

And I'm sure the Scots are proud to be Scottish, the Welsh are proud to be Welsh and the Northern Irish are proud to be Northern Irish.

The PC Brigade who say we are British make me mad
Old Aug 29th 2004, 10:58 pm
togooff&things

Is there not another word for A Scots migrant? Not a Pom but something else relating to Scottish origin only. (- watch it English patriots who would like to have a shot at a new name!!!!)

Old Aug 29th 2004, 11:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mary1
Depends on his religion.

A friend from Northern Ireland once told me that the Catholics like to be called Irish and the Protestants British and thats why they are entitled to 2 passports- Irish and British.
If he's from Northern Ireland he's a British citizen regardless.

I don't think it's a particularly good thing to make assumptions about someone's nationality based on their religion. And not everybody falls into the convenient pigeon-holes used for that purpose anyway (not everyone has a religion to begin with).

Jeremy
Old Aug 29th 2004, 11:33 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lathlain
I was born in Manchester and im white but I never acknowledge that Im English. I feel and am proudly British, so why all the hype and nonsense about 'we are all english'?

Wasnt England an ancient nation, but gave up its sovereignty when the Union was created?
It annoys me also when people refer to the whole of the UK as "England'.
So are poms Brits or Anglos? Same thing?
As far as I know, Pommie derives from POHMIE which stands for "Prisoners Of Her Majesty In England".
A term used to describe the prisoners sent over many years ago.
Thus, many Australians are descended from Pommies!

Sure way to get into a blue when you tell them this!

Andrew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.