Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Political correctness gone mad?

Wikiposts

Political correctness gone mad?

Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:22 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political correctness gone mad?

Originally Posted by biggy
the letter 2 posts up was from us in another paper
Ahh good one. Nicely done
Old Dec 13th 2005, 10:23 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seang
Ahh good one. Nicely done
we had to say summit...couldnt let it lie...tis CHRISTMAS after all
Old Dec 16th 2005, 1:44 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I trust that Mr and Mrs Paul & Melanie Jowsey's children do not have "Christmas Holidays", as they dislike Christmas so much.
Exactly. And it might also be assumed that Mr & Mrs Jowsey will be working their usual hours over Christmas and not taking any time off. Also that young Charles 10 and Harrison 8 won't be expecting any presents under any tree or in any stocking this 25th December....
Old Dec 16th 2005, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by biggy
Everybody knows who they are, because they attended my kids State School last year, and kicked uo a stink about everybody singing Christmas Carols...........so they got Carols banned in our school then ****ed off to another to kick up a stink!!!!!
They were also interviewed on national television so the nation could see these selfish bigots in action.

Some will do anything for their few seconds of fame.

But what does it tell you about the culture in schools that makes a Head so conciliatory towards a very minor squeaky wheel with a reputation for squeaking?
Old Dec 16th 2005, 3:47 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NedKelly
XMAS for the pagans!

Actually....

Xmas, comes from Christmas. The X comes from the X in greek chi, which means I or christ or something.

Its not pagan.

Anyway, the wife dug up all our old christmas cards this year cos we couldn't be bothered buying new ones. We have thousands of old christmas cards we've never sent. I just couldn't bring myself to use the american ones we have:

"Happy Holiday season"

Piss off , its christmas!!
Old Dec 16th 2005, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
What is the world coming to:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...1-1248,00.html

I thought it did not happen in Australia

G
This is so stupid. So what if it was mentioned a dozen times?

We are not Christians, but we love to celebrate Xmas as much as Diwali by having a tree, decorating it, and having pressies (and so do my family living in Aus and the States). I love all the Xmassy songs played in the malls (or has that been banned for the fear of 'offending' non Christians' ) and the holiday/fun spirit.

Why can't people just let others be, and let them have fun. It's as bad as someone saying I don't have the right to celebrate Xmas because I am not a Christian

A big pity - really

Anya
Old Dec 17th 2005, 6:50 pm
ABCDiamond

The Prime Minister, Mr Howard said Australians should stop downplaying the importance of Christianity at Christmas time for fear of offending other faiths or non-religious people.

"You don't demonstrate tolerance towards minorities by apologising for your own heritage," the Prime Minister told The Sunday Mail last weekend, speaking before the Sydney race riots.

Mr Howard said he had "contempt" for arguments that the religious aspect of the festive season should be toned down through the removal or banning of Christmas trees and symbols, nativity scenes and concerts.

Islamic Council of Queensland president Abdul Jabal said: "We don't celebrate Christmas but we support others doing so. It's a time of peace and sharing."
He agreed it was not necessary to downplay religious occasions to promote tolerance.

Old Dec 17th 2005, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

The Prime Minister, Mr Howard said Australians should stop downplaying the importance of Christianity at Christmas time for fear of offending other faiths or non-religious people.

"You don't demonstrate tolerance towards minorities by apologising for your own heritage," the Prime Minister told The Sunday Mail last weekend, speaking before the Sydney race riots.

Mr Howard said he had "contempt" for arguments that the religious aspect of the festive season should be toned down through the removal or banning of Christmas trees and symbols, nativity scenes and concerts.

Islamic Council of Queensland president Abdul Jabal said: "We don't celebrate Christmas but we support others doing so. It's a time of peace and sharing."
He agreed it was not necessary to downplay religious occasions to promote tolerance.

EXACTLY! I have recently been to a Christmas Nativity, and a pantomime, two separate places, but all performed by children with physical and learning disabilities, and did they or anyone watching give a hoot that they were all of mixed races, cultures,religions???? NO!!
I REST MY CASE.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:03 am

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

I have any angry post regarding Traditions and Christmas that was.

My Step Sister was asked today if she would consider working Christmas Day - is she a nurse you ask? Maybe an ambulance driver? Nupe, part time at the local Movie place whilst studying.

Why open Christmas Day, so that those that don't "agree" with Christmas can come along and watch their "Bollywood" movies.

I found this just completely amazing to say the least, where is the respect for the Christmas tradition gone!