Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Place in the Sun Down Under

A Place in the Sun Down Under

Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Place in the Sun Down Under

Originally Posted by Grayling
If you wanted to buy a house in most parts of Brisbane you would have no choice

Good job I don't then innit!

I'll stick with Adelaide I think - unless I win the lottery then I'm buying a camper van and off I go
Old Jan 4th 2009, 6:46 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Ah, but if he is are you not saying that those that say it's not are immature also
No but I don't like the implication that those who can not see that ,obviously, things are cheaper in Australia are somehow less 'mature or analytical'.

I am certainly mature...and analytical
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:07 am

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point

by the way...............i thought the show was shite
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

No but I don't like the implication that those who can not see that ,obviously, things are cheaper in Australia are somehow less 'mature or analytical'.

Me too...unfortunately

Originally Posted by dinner-dash
by the way...............i thought the show was shite

What show?

Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

I know it is only an hour, but it was a bit rose tinted - again...

Given we were watching it with my MIL who is with us for Xmas in the UK before we leave in 1.5 weeks to move to Melbourne, she thought it was crazy they looked at places so far out when they were looking to spend between 500-600k. Fair point.

Also, the couple started out by saying one of their priorities was a good school - this was never mentioned again!

And why can they not put the Aus value in rather than the UK - it all depends on when the show was broadcast as to how much the house was, and given the rate has and will change, and the programme is for Brits in the UK, it would have helped a lot more... or maybe we are all too thick to work out the exchange rate?
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Aussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
That Amanda lamb used to be a real babe,now she looks like an aussie chick
I quite like her! After all, it's just a TV programme, made for entertainment..although everyone's idea of entertainment is different!

I am sure I read somewhere that the people who are looking for houses are told how to react to them by the production team? I think it was someone who was on one of the Place In The Sun programmes in UK and she said they had to do quite a few "takes" at each property even if they didn't like them. As it was, I enjoyed looking at the scenery anyway.

Just a thought, do people actually really buy a house, having only seen those shown to them by the programme?

Will still watch the rest of the series and now doubt WDU as well, just to get my Aussie fix!!

Lou x
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

So are you suggesting that all those posters who point out the high cost of living are 'immature'?
Of course not. They are right - the cost of living is higher than it used to be. But others refined this. See my next point.

The implication was that *some* things may be cheaper. It is dependant on the individual. Perhaps your ears were smarting because you appeared to want to have a dig at those who either realised this, or like to discuss local prices. Well good for them.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jan 4th 2009 at 9:53 am.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:00 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I'll stick with Adelaide I think - unless I win the lottery then I'm buying a camper van and off I go
to Melbourne

Oh really
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Arguing about price difference between countries which roughly cost the same, excellent! Adequate weather and lifestyle = priceless.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Of course not. They are right - the cost of living is higher than it used to be. But others refined this. See my next point.

The implication was that *some* things may be cheaper. It is dependant on the individual. Perhaps your ears were smarting because you appeared to want to have a dig at those who either realised this, or like to discuss local prices. Well good for them.
You seem to be tilting at windmills Badge.

If you bothered to read this thread you will see that it was not me who made a reference to high prices at all.

If you want to have a go at someone then why not pick on those who raised the issue.

I simply pointed out that, no doubt, someone would be along to correct them.

The cost of things does not bother me in the slightest but I don't see the point of pretending that things aren't as they appear to a large number of members of this forum....or all they all simply wrong?

G
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Adequate weather and lifestyle = priceless.
Debatable
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Debatable
Grrrrr, all this silly bitching is like watching and hearing two drag queens in a pie bake-off!!!!
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Gordo Marshall
Grrrrr, all this silly bitching is like watching and hearing two drag queens in a pie bake-off!!!!
I know but the telly's crap as usual
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
to Melbourne

Oh really
Sure I'll stop off and say hello on my way around
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:45 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Shallow Hal's on.......again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.