Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Place in the Sun Down Under

A Place in the Sun Down Under

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Paula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud ofPaula Cox has much to be proud of
Red face A Place in the Sun Down Under

Hi All

Just to let you know that A Place in the Sun Down Under is on to-night channel 4 at 8.00pm, Sorry if this has already been posted.

Paula
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice
Default Re: A Place in the Sun Down Under

thanks for the heads up. any one got any inside info. which part of Melbourne and is it worth watching or is it just the normal gloss.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:35 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

just found this on the listings from the WWW

With a cheaper cost of living and a government so far managing to fend off the global recession, Australia is becoming more and more popular as a destination for Brits wanting a new life. In this brand new series, Amanda Lamb helps three families relocate `down under' as well as investigating how to navigate the Australian immigration system and finds out exactly what makes Australia so appealing to Brits.

and this

Series offering advice on buying property abroad. Amanda Lamb helps three families relocate to Australia, visiting southern vineyards, west coast beaches and the city life of Sydney. She also explains the points-based immigration system, and how to get the best chance of obtaining residency in a country which welcomed 20,000 Brits migrants in 2007. Amanda helps a family from Wrexham find a place in Melbourne on a budget of 250,000 pounds.

and this

With the costing of living soaring and no end in sight for the crisis in the UK property market, more people than ever are ditching the doom and gloom of Britain in search of a new life in Australia. Last year around 20,000 Brits packed up, leaving friends, families, jobs and their homes to make the 10,000 mile move in the hope of finding a better, brighter life.

Probs nothing you wouldn't find out on here but should be worth a watch i suppose, just off to set the Sky+ now

Dougie
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

I'm watching it now. The presenter is well annoying. I feel sorry for the couple on the show.

Melbourne looks gorgeous.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

joquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nicejoquin is just really nice

Originally Posted by notacrime
I'm watching it now. The presenter is well annoying. I feel sorry for the couple on the show.

Melbourne looks gorgeous.
Well we felt sorry for the presenter.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about

I felt sorry for the presenter too! Also a few hormonal outbursts i think?
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:07 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

"With a cheaper cost of living and a government so far managing to fend off the global recession..."

I don't want to burst your bubble but IMHO that snippet of their blurb I quoted is rubbish and one of the reasons people are sorely disappointed when they move here.

I would hope you'd get more of a balanced picture from this site.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:23 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
"With a cheaper cost of living and a government so far managing to fend off the global recession..."

I don't want to burst your bubble but IMHO that snippet of their blurb I quoted is rubbish and one of the reasons people are sorely disappointed when they move here.

I would hope you'd get more of a balanced picture from this site.
It's a lie isn't it pure and simple as it's anything but cheap here. Day to day living costs are more then the UK IMHO.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:57 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've never seen the programme (been out of the UK for a while) but TBH it makes me quite angry that they perpetuate this myth.

I would hope that anybody seriously considering a move knows better as they've done their homework (and been through this site with a fine tooth comb ), but even my family and friends thought we'd be moving to a big house with a huge garden and swimming pool...in inner city Sydney.

I'd love to get my documentary-making TV Producer friend to shoot an alternative view. Now, who can we pitch it to
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:58 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I've never seen the programme (been out of the UK for a while) but TBH it makes me quite angry that they perpetuate this myth.

I would hope that anybody seriously considering a move knows better as they've done their homework (and been through this site with a fine tooth comb ), but even my family and friends thought we'd be moving to a big house with a huge garden and swimming pool...in inner city Sydney.

I'd love to get my documentary-making TV Producer friend to shoot an alternative view. Now, who can we pitch it to
These programmes are always the same, they like to portray the evil UK with the attitude of who wouldn't want to move to utopia all based on false spin.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Originally Posted by fraser
These programmes are always the same, they like to portray the evil UK with the attitude of who wouldn't want to move to utopia all based on false spin.
Well said Fraser, these programs are mythical I think. These programs are always the same bla bla bla ... and usually not even presented by people who have lived there for a substantive period, or only been to Sydney once or something.

Not see the Ch.4 program, but it sounds just like that BBC one, which keeps repeating itself.

I agree with other posters - how about an accurate one, like a fly on the wall, docu-soap format etc. How far more interesting I personally reckon.

I am sooooooo BORED rigid of hearing about house prices, beaches, the 'waoh' factor, shopping malls, Kings Park and expat communities! aaaarrrrgggghhh. There again, nobody is forcing me to watch them is the other perspective on this.

Cheers
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a lie isn't it pure and simple as it's anything but cheap here. Day to day living costs are more then the UK IMHO.
this post gets the "most accurate post of the day award"
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 5:25 am
Just Joined

Dairymilk04 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Catch
this post gets the "most accurate post of the day award"
Nice One
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 5:33 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

shit me i agree totally with you again Fraser Anyone who thinks its 'cheaper' to live in Aus as opposed to Blighty are in for one hell of a shock

Lee
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 5:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
shit me i agree totally with you again Fraser Anyone who thinks its 'cheaper' to live in Aus as opposed to Blighty are in for one hell of a shock

Lee
I'm surprised one of the resident spin doctors hasn't been along yet to 'prove' you are wrong

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.