Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth is uptight, stuffy, dull and boring

Perth is uptight, stuffy, dull and boring

Old Feb 18th 2012, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future
Default Re: Perth is uptight, stuffy, dull and boring

Originally Posted by dave99
I lived in Perth for about 4 years and never once got asked to leave a pub, never found them stuffy either, quite the opposite.

If your after more of an englandy feel try durty nellys www.durtynellys.com.au its hidden away on a side street and has a great vibe at nights, good food to.

Perth is not like england and trying to look for the same things that you used to do in england is a mistake, you have to change you attitude and look for other things. I am back in the UK now and everywhere I go theres a million people crammed in.
I wish I was back in perth so I didnt have to queue for 20minutes just to get served in a pub, not to mention finding a bloody table to sit down at is difficult
Good points! I'll try dirty nellys!
Old Feb 18th 2012, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Indeed, with an attitude like that I'm surprised they got to finish the first one.
Sorry your post is personalised which you should not do because you don't know me from Adam.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 11:04 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Or in fact any large or small city here.

Originally Posted by Cherry ripe
Maybe because People in Perth use bars as a way of relaxing and not as a way to lose their use of their limbs. If that is how you are wanting to use you weekends then may I suggest Manchester, Leeds,Liverpool,Glasgow. In fact any major city in the uk!!!
Old Feb 18th 2012, 12:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe because People in Perth use bars as a way of relaxing and not as a way to lose their use of their limbs. If that is how you are wanting to use you weekends then may I suggest Manchester, Leeds,Liverpool,Glasgow. In fact any major city in the uk!!!
....and quite a fair number in Brisbane
Old Feb 18th 2012, 12:22 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Perth is uptight, stuffy, dull and boring

Originally Posted by cubeonly
Sorry your post is personalised which you should not do because you don't know me from Adam.
Adam, is that you? Long time no see!

Old Feb 18th 2012, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

SiennaRowe is an unknown quantity at this point

How's that for a one-line description of a place.

Moved here in December from England but won't be staying for long.

Over 50's not welcome in bars and clubs. Over 50s like to go out on the town you know.

Bullshit place, Perth. Full of corporate stuffy types, very uptight. If you're thinking of moving here from UK, and you like a bit of nightlife or are are single status over 50, forget it!
There's a couple of pubs in Joondalup (N.Suburbs) that my hubby likes. The Old Bailey is one of them & also The Sovereign which is next to Grand Cinemas. I'm not sure where you are just thought i'd give you a few suggestions. :-)
Old Feb 18th 2012, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Mike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really niceMike-T is just really nice

That's a sweeping generalisation there Mr/Mrs Cherry Ripe to which I myself, being a Mancunian might take offence........although being a Manc, i will laugh it off as a jolly jape. Not ALL Mancs/Yorkshirefolk/Scousers and Wegians are out and out lush heads.........only about 80%....apparently

To the original poster, there's loads of good pubs in Perth. If we know where you are living, we may be able to advise....
Old Feb 18th 2012, 1:42 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to all for negative orig post, but that's what these forums are for - to speak your mind, plus me being me I wear my heart on my sleeve and don't mince my words.

Anyone know is there a pub in Perth I can walk in to, spend-up in there, then fall out of in to a waiting taxi, for the weekends? My pub experience so far is that if I have two beers the bar staff start looking at me as if I'm a criminal, then after the third they look in to my eyes and tell me they're glazed so I am pissed and must leave the premises!
My husband will be 50 in September, he has never ever had any trouble going in to a pub/bar. When my Dad of 73 years old came to visit, I would go to college and leave him in the pub - several pints later I would get him and find him surrounded by locals chatting/putting the world to rights.

Might just be the pubs you go to, when I worked in the city we would all go out on a Friday night, all of us mixed ages and never had any issues.

These days I dont go out much as I am rarely in the city so may go out locally to me but it might be worth checking out other places and allowing yourself to become a regular, let the bar staff get to know you.

Old Feb 18th 2012, 1:45 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Good points! I'll try dirty nellys!
I like the Moon & Sixpence as well - I think it is on the same side as the Ibis Hotel (I think), bit of a 'lads pub' on a Friday night but I do like it.

Round where we live, one of our favs is The Leftbank in Freo, The Norfolk Hotel is another one we like.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SiennaRowe
There's a couple of pubs in Joondalup (N.Suburbs) that my hubby likes. The Old Bailey is one of them & also The Sovereign which is next to Grand Cinemas. I'm not sure where you are just thought i'd give you a few suggestions. :-)
Thanks appreciated! I'll go to these asap!
Old Feb 18th 2012, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mike-T
That's a sweeping generalisation there Mr/Mrs Cherry Ripe to which I myself, being a Mancunian might take offence........although being a Manc, i will laugh it off as a jolly jape. Not ALL Mancs/Yorkshirefolk/Scousers and Wegians are out and out lush heads.........only about 80%....apparently

To the original poster, there's loads of good pubs in Perth. If we know where you are living, we may be able to advise....
Cheers! West Perth I've settled in! It's downhill to the office!
Old Feb 18th 2012, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
My husband will be 50 in September, he has never ever had any trouble going in to a pub/bar. When my Dad of 73 years old came to visit, I would go to college and leave him in the pub - several pints later I would get him and find him surrounded by locals chatting/putting the world to rights.

Might just be the pubs you go to, when I worked in the city we would all go out on a Friday night, all of us mixed ages and never had any issues.

These days I dont go out much as I am rarely in the city so may go out locally to me but it might be worth checking out other places and allowing yourself to become a regular, let the bar staff get to know you.

Thanks for your reassurances! Appreciated. The Moon & Sixpence was good tonight!

Last edited by moneypenny20; Feb 19th 2012 at 10:30 pm. Reason: mending quote.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
I like the Moon & Sixpence as well - I think it is on the same side as the Ibis Hotel (I think), bit of a 'lads pub' on a Friday night but I do like it.

Round where we live, one of our favs is The Leftbank in Freo, The Norfolk Hotel is another one we like.
Thanks! I ended up in the Moon & Sixpense tonight. beat my record and had 6 Stellas without getting ousted! Good band as well! It'll work out I'm sure. Thanks to all for the suggestions!

Now to the internet to find the Melbourne F1 result
Old Feb 18th 2012, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Now to the internet to find the Melbourne F1 result
From last year? This year's is not until the 18 March!

Last edited by moneypenny20; Feb 19th 2012 at 10:31 pm. Reason: messy quote
Old Feb 18th 2012, 8:14 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SiennaRowe
Good places to grab a granny or get into a fight. Not my kinda places, there was a stabbing at the Sovereign a week ago.

My Mrs was in the Sov last week with her mates, one of them passed out and they were asked to leave - legends!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.