Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Queensland

Perth or Queensland

Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

pommie_sheila will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Perth or Queensland

Well said - all down to personal choice and what feels right!
I've only ever been to Brissie and the Gold Coast but also holidayed and did the touristy thing up the GC Highway - Mackay, Townsville, Port Douglas etc.
Would also like to see Perth one day - am a nomad really but with 6 kids can be exy to say the least! I also happen to think Gut Feelings can be v. useful when deciding!!
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kez81
Im from aberdeen but have chosen to live in perth not for work reasons but yeh there is alot of people come to perth for work and also houston i know quite a few people living in houston they have a good life travelling to lovely places such as Jamaica, Florida, mexico on a regular basis as its short flights i just think perth a bit isolated and if i had a choice between Perth or houston i think it would be Houston.

kezx
Where you from in Aberdeen Kez?

Nic
Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

stubbieholder31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cranni
I don't get the persistent comments about "nice beaches but nothing else to do". We have done more here in 2 years than we did in 10 in the UK. Northbridge nightlife is good, gigs a plenty, loads of events staged for the kids, loads of places to go, lots of things outdoorsy to do....
I agree there, we do lots more here than we did in UK, my older kids love Perth, and always seem to be busy, they have a great life.
Denise
ps maybe we are just easy pleased, and with all the troubles in the world , we appreciate what we have, and not what we dont have.[/QUOTE]
Hi Cranni, of course I know you are absolutely right. I am torn towards perth. Hubby says Queensland. I usually win !
Gonna have to sit down and battle it out.
I just want a quiet life and that's it really.
I appreciate your comms, will keep you up-dated cranni
Leah x.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
Can I ask why you think Perth is a better place to live ? Very individual obviously but interested in your opinion...
We used Brisbane as a base for over 10 years while we worked up In Papua New Guinea. The whole of Queensland was magic then....... and probably still is now? Wasn't too keen on the Gold Coast though......... too many lager louts made it like the UK ......only hotter.

Doesn't matter where you really end up in OZ? At the end of the day it's what you as an individual make of it. I guess the craic is everywhere........ you've just got to find it!

I've lived in Sydney............ terrific night life but not much cop if you start work early........ great if you follow rugby league......... great if you flock to open-air concerts.

I think most complaints about Perth are re nightlife....... or lack thereof?

Granted Perth is a bit off the beaten bush, it's a bit out the way and pretty remote..........yet I've seen Neil Young at the concert centre, saw the Stones at Perry Lakes, Dire Straits at Subi Oval........ Paul McCartney at Subi Oval ............ must have seen Bob Dylan here at least 6 times; and it wasn't all that long ago we saw Dylan, Ray Charles, Wilson Picket, John Mayall, et al down at Claremont. Maybe Claremont show wasn't as good as when I had chance to see Jimi Hendrix at the Isle of Wight......... but hey...... it wasn't too bad!

Must be summat wrong with me because I'm as happy as Larry in Perth; this will do me nicely thank you very much.

Our 3 boys have grown up here, we found Perth to be a fantastic place for bringing up children. We had chance to relocate to Darwin as i had 2 years on the oil rigs up there..... Darwin was great too....... very laid back lifestyle..... ... ... almost like being back in New Guinea......... a bit too hot and dusty though. In my book though........ you can't beat Perth!

But; as someone previously said,"It's horses for courses!"
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all

decisions decisions!

we have two employers at the moment that seem very interested in sponsoring my partner on a 457. one in Perth and one in Sydney.

I am not sure which is going to best for us, we are a young family with a 2 year old son who loves the outdoors.

We want to move to Australia for a better way of live, more relaxed and better quality time as a family where would you all recommend for us? because if i read anymore my eyes are going to explode!

I must admit we did look at QLD too, but its not a option for us at the moment
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:19 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowmellow
I am not sure which is going to best for us, we are a young family with a 2 year old son who loves the outdoors.

We want to move to Australia for a better way of live, more relaxed and better quality time as a family where would you all recommend for us?
In my opinion with those criteria it is a "no-brainer". Perth over Sydney everytime.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:43 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nic938
Where you from in Aberdeen Kez?

Nic
orginally a torry quine but lived in cove before coming here.

Are you from aberdeen also??

kezx
Old Jul 13th 2007, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by worzel
In my opinion with those criteria it is a "no-brainer". Perth over Sydney everytime.
thats what i thought
Old Jul 13th 2007, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

orginally a torry quine but lived in cove before coming here.

Are you from aberdeen also??

kezx
Yes, moved down here about 10 years ago but still go home every 6 weeks, trying to make the most of it before I come to Perth. Can't get the kids to understand that we are emigrating to Perth on the other side of the world, they think it is the one they pass on the way to Aberdeen Bless them! How long you been there? Did you go to Torry Academy?

Nic
Old Jul 14th 2007, 6:23 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nic938
Yes, moved down here about 10 years ago but still go home every 6 weeks, trying to make the most of it before I come to Perth. Can't get the kids to understand that we are emigrating to Perth on the other side of the world, they think it is the one they pass on the way to Aberdeen Bless them! How long you been there? Did you go to Torry Academy?

Nic
Yeh i did go to Torry academy i went to victoria road primary before that, we have been here 2 years next week going back at xmas for a month first trip back in that time cant wait!!!

When are you heading for perth??

kezx
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeh i did go to Torry academy i went to victoria road primary before that, we have been here 2 years next week going back at xmas for a month first trip back in that time cant wait!!!

When are you heading for perth??

kezx
Have sent you a pm Kez.

Nic
Old Jul 14th 2007, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice

Been living in Perth 8 years and just got back from 10 days in the gold coast for a holiday we actually thought we would of been coming back saying we would be selling up but we arn't much prefer Perth.Gold Coast great for Movie World etc but Perth is the best.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shade8
Been living in Perth 8 years and just got back from 10 days in the gold coast for a holiday we actually thought we would of been coming back saying we would be selling up but we arn't much prefer Perth.Gold Coast great for Movie World etc but Perth is the best.
Spot on!
Old Jul 14th 2007, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
From my take on it, the people on here who view Perth very positively are those that earn substantial salaries or who have substantial incomes from other sources.

For those who are really torn between Perth and somewhere else, you'd probably find greater value in the views of someone who has a similar income to you.

The usual suspects view Perth as utopia - someone in the mining sector earning well over $130K, someone who has made a lot of money from the Perth property boom.

The oft-repeated "it's all good" may be true for those commanding such salaries.
There's a degree of truth in this.....
Old Jul 14th 2007, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve99
and you value life in its entirety, you cannot beat Perth.

I think too many people fall into the trap of thinking that Brisbane = the Gold/Sunshine Coast, its not the same place, its miles away. I have this vision of all these brits that have given up on southern spain clambering off the plane at Brisbane airport going "where's the f*&%)n beach luv?" sorry guys its nowhere near here its about an hour and a half that way....
and then by 3pm they finally make it to Surfers and hit the beach and all go "why's it f*&%)n dark luv?" ahh that'll be the huge great big skyscrapers blocking the sun.....
also don't think SE Qld will solve some problems.

But of course, a lot of people don't want just beaches, that's the issue.

For me, parts of SE Qld would just edge it.

If I was earning 130k and lived in the Hills in Perth I would be happier than most.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.