Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Queensland

Perth or Queensland

Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Queensland

Originally Posted by worzel
They did a world tour either last year or the year before but wouldn't come to Perth as their show was too big to bring all the way across the Nullabor. Just about everyone else comes here though.

I don't get the persistent comments about "nice beaches but nothing else to do". We have done more here in 2 years than we did in 10 in the UK. Northbridge nightlife is good, gigs a plenty, loads of events staged for the kids, loads of places to go, lots of things outdoorsy to do....
I also don't get the 'nothing to do' story. I'm sick of debating it now. I know it's good here. You know it's good here. That's all that matters.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:08 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

They did a world tour either last year or the year before but wouldn't come to Perth as their show was too big to bring all the way across the Nullabor. Just about everyone else comes here though.

I don't get the persistent comments about "nice beaches but nothing else to do". We have done more here in 2 years than we did in 10 in the UK. Northbridge nightlife is good, gigs a plenty, loads of events staged for the kids, loads of places to go, lots of things outdoorsy to do....
I think northbridge is rubbish but it depends on the person each to there own we are all different at the end of the day.

We have done alot of things while we have been here camping in NSW driving from melbourne to Perth across the nullabor which was a great experience but since we have arrived here in Perth not done much at all maybe it down to not really knowing where to go etc.. been to magaret river thats about it!!

kezx
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:31 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Me neither, I've come to the conclusion some people are never happy and too many expect everything for nothing.

Perth is a package - the whole package, sure if your the sort of person who whinge's and moans and generally worries and talks about things that your never going to change then im sure you'll manage to find fault with it.
But if your a positive person and you value life in its entirety, you cannot beat Perth.

I think too many people fall into the trap of thinking that Brisbane = the Gold/Sunshine Coast, its not the same place, its miles away. I have this vision of all these brits that have given up on southern spain clambering off the plane at Brisbane airport going "where's the f*&%)n beach luv?" sorry guys its nowhere near here its about an hour and a half that way....
and then by 3pm they finally make it to Surfers and hit the beach and all go "why's it f*&%)n dark luv?" ahh that'll be the huge great big skyscrapers blocking the sun.....
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by steve99
Me neither, I've come to the conclusion some people are never happy and too many expect everything for nothing.

Perth is a package - the whole package, sure if your the sort of person who whinge's and moans and generally worries and talks about things that your never going to change then im sure you'll manage to find fault with it.
But if your a positive person and you value life in its entirety, you cannot beat Perth.

I think too many people fall into the trap of thinking that Brisbane = the Gold/Sunshine Coast, its not the same place, its miles away. I have this vision of all these brits that have given up on southern spain clambering off the plane at Brisbane airport going "where's the f*&%)n beach luv?" sorry guys its nowhere near here its about an hour and a half that way....
and then by 3pm they finally make it to Surfers and hit the beach and all go "why's it f*&%)n dark luv?" ahh that'll be the huge great big skyscrapers blocking the sun.....
Fair play its the whole package for you but not for everyone we all came from different walks of life ofcourse we are going to have different opions!!

kezx
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

From my take on it, the people on here who view Perth very positively are those that earn substantial salaries or who have substantial incomes from other sources.

For those who are really torn between Perth and somewhere else, you'd probably find greater value in the views of someone who has a similar income to you.

The usual suspects view Perth as utopia - someone in the mining sector earning well over $130K, someone who has made a lot of money from the Perth property boom.

The oft-repeated "it's all good" may be true for those commanding such salaries.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
From my take on it, the people on here who view Perth very positively are those that earn substantial salaries or who have substantial incomes from other sources.

For those who are really torn between Perth and somewhere else, you'd probably find greater value in the views of someone who has a similar income to you.

The usual suspects view Perth as utopia - someone in the mining sector earning well over $130K, someone who has made a lot of money from the Perth property boom.

The oft-repeated "it's all good" may be true for those commanding such salaries.
Fair play to you NKSKv2. I guess I'm one of your 'usual suspects'. I will say though that, cutting out the so called 'boring' aspect of Perth, the reality is that the COL, house prices etc are not that much more than the rest of Australia with the exception of SA and Tasmania, but then there are economic reasons why these places are cheaper.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:10 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I hear you sister! ...

And I'm a usual suspect ...

"Hand over the keys mother f*****, what the f*** ..."

I assume you're asking me?

Well, first of all it's a nice city with great beaches.

But that's it.

It's a nice city with great beaches...

That really is it.

You need to ask yourself - as I have been doing for two years - whether that is enough - and for me....it isn't.

It certainly isn't enough when you consider the extortionate house prices and the poor wages (well, my poor wage) unless you're in the mining sector.

I have well-documented concerns about the education system also. My (rented) house is freezing in winter. (Many other houses are similarly badly built). I'm now in the kids' school hiolidays and I can't get anywhere decent quickly. Local landscape is tedious to say the least.

Suburbs are bland and if they aren't bland they are incredibly expensive.

And I find Perth very parochial and....just backward!

But....nice beaches and very gleaming skyline.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:28 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Absolutley agree 100%

I do like Perth, it is a lovely place. I don't think i could live here forever though. Oz is a big place. I must see more of it.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:42 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Perth or Queensland

I am certainly one of the "usual suspects" but I am not earning mega-bucks nor have I made a lot of money from the boom ($100K on the house but it is not real money as we have no intention of selling). I earnt more in the UK. I am not saying Perth is utopia either, it has its problems, just that it ticks all the boxes for us.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 2:44 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Oz is a big place. I must see more of it.
Maybe that is it. We spent 3 months down here a few years ago and saw more of Australia than most Australians see in a lifetime.

We settled in Perth.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:07 am

Maybe that is it. We spent 3 months down here a few years ago and saw more of Australia than most Australians see in a lifetime.

We settled in Perth.
We also have done alot of travelling around australia but there is still loads more for us too see we are content in perth just now but i really cant see it being long term for us we are going to stay another 2 years then see alot can change it that time we might decided to stay we might not.

its great that you and your family have settled and are enjoying life in perth.

kezx
Old Jul 10th 2007, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

It's a nice city with great beaches...

That really is it.

You need to ask yourself - as I have been doing for two years - whether that is enough - and for me....it isn't.

I ask myself this question every day. I usually come up with the same answer.

To me Perth is a very pleasant place to spend a few weeks, not a lifetime. I live in a very nice, old bit of Perth, but it feels like I'm stuck on an island of about 4 square km. It really is a beautiful island, and the climate, the space, and the sunsets are great. But I don't think it will be enough to keep me here in the long term.

I can see why people who for work reasons have to choose between Perth or Houston or Aberdeen would be happy in Perth. Take away that (and the massive salaries), and I wonder if they'd be so enthusiastic.

If I were starting over, I'd be thinking about Sydney or Melbourne, but I think the same issues would arise. My island would be 8 square km instead of 4.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 4:12 am

Im from aberdeen but have chosen to live in perth not for work reasons but yeh there is alot of people come to perth for work and also houston i know quite a few people living in houston they have a good life travelling to lovely places such as Jamaica, Florida, mexico on a regular basis as its short flights i just think perth a bit isolated and if i had a choice between Perth or houston i think it would be Houston.

kezx
Old Jul 10th 2007, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Perth's remoteness is it's worst feature.

It's a four hour drive to anywhere half decent.

Flight prices out of WA are criminal.

There's no doubt it's a very comfortable place to live but it is rather bland. The city has no significant architecture and the place is dead on a Saturday evening. In contrast to Worzel, I find Northbridge to be shite quite honestly. One man's meat and all that.

The Northern suburbs are devoid of character and there is no landscape of any description. Brigadoon and the scarp overlooking the Swan is as good as it gets.

That said, the beaches, the Swan Valley, the parks and the people make it an enjoyable experience all the same.

It's a small town not trying very hard to be a city.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
I ask myself this question every day. I usually come up with the same answer.

To me Perth is a very pleasant place to spend a few weeks, not a lifetime. I live in a very nice, old bit of Perth, but it feels like I'm stuck on an island of about 4 square km. It really is a beautiful island, and the climate, the space, and the sunsets are great. But I don't think it will be enough to keep me here in the long term.

I can see why people who for work reasons have to choose between Perth or Houston or Aberdeen would be happy in Perth. Take away that (and the massive salaries), and I wonder if they'd be so enthusiastic.

If I were starting over, I'd be thinking about Sydney or Melbourne, but I think the same issues would arise. My island would be 8 square km instead of 4.

It's been a gradual realisation for me.

I was actually disappointed from day 1 I think but I tried really hard to get to like it but over the last 2 years I've given up trying to defend it and just recognise that it isn't for me. Somebody wrote a good post a few months ago about Perth and that everything seemed a bit of an anticlimax.

I really have tried to like it. Those fabulous summer days when there is nowhere better on Earth.... but I find myself contstantly needing to come back to those summer days to justify staying here.

Never mind, on Friday, I'll have done exactly 2 years. I don't think you can say that I haven't given it a good go!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.