Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Queensland

Perth or Queensland

Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

stubbieholder31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth or Queensland

Hi Guy's, does anyone know if housing is cheaper in Queensland on the whole or is Perth cheaper?
I assume Queensland would be more expensive?
I suppose it depends on different areas.
I am finding it difficult to decide where to be. We have a daughter aged 7 so require all th eusual things such as good schooling, etc.........
Visited in Queensland 3 years ago and loved it. But haven't been to perth. I have just heard so many great things about Perth also that I feel bamboozled !, confused even ~ !
Any info to help me decide please, getting fraught sat here going round in circles! Feel like i'm going mad

Leah x
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth or Queensland

Originally Posted by stubbieholder31
Hi Guy's, does anyone know if housing is cheaper in Queensland on the whole or is Perth cheaper?
I am finding it difficult to decide where to be. We have a daughter aged 7 so require all th eusual things such as good schooling, etc.........
Visited in Queensland 3 years ago and loved it. But haven't been to perth. I have just heard so many great things about Perth also that I feel bamboozled !, confused even ~ !
Any info to help me decide please, getting fraught sat here going round in circles! Feel like i'm going mad

Leah x
I reckon they are pretty similar with Perth probably slightly more expensive but a much, much better place to live.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stubbieholder31

Leah x
I think it will depend very much on whereabouts in Qld you are looking (Qld being a State with many "city's" in!) If you are talking Perth-Brisbane I expect it will be very similar though I believe Perth may still come out marginaly more expensive.

We are going to Cairns and i believe what we may buy there for 400Aud may cost 500 or more in Perth

http://www.realestate.com.au/

Will give you some idea of comparison
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:35 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Been here in Perth for 3 years and we're looking to get out of it at the end of next year...long story...just doesn't suit us but it may well suit you and your family.

Trawling through the real estate sites I have come to realise that you get soooooooooo much more for your money over there in SE QLD. The blocks of land seem to be much bigger, as long as you don't intend to live on a legoland estate.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Can I ask why you think Perth is a better place to live ? Very individual obviously but interested in your opinion...

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I reckon they are pretty similar with Perth probably slightly more expensive but a much, much better place to live.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:10 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
Can I ask why you think Perth is a better place to live ? Very individual obviously but interested in your opinion...
You either get Perth or you don't. If you like bustling cities it won't work for you. It has everything you need (unless you like U2) but just a bit better-paced.

Sorry, Amazulu, mate - putting words in your mouth but I think that is the gist of why most of us love it here.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Been here in Perth for 3 years and we're looking to get out of it at the end of next year...long story...just doesn't suit us but it may well suit you and your family.

Trawling through the real estate sites I have come to realise that you get soooooooooo much more for your money over there in SE QLD. The blocks of land seem to be much bigger, as long as you don't intend to live on a legoland estate.
We're trying to get out also.

It ain't for us - we are most definitely a family who doesn't "get" Perth or WA.

(Have to say that it has nothing to do with it being a small town though)
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
We're trying to get out also.

It ain't for us - we are most definitely a family who doesn't "get" Perth or WA.

(Have to say that it has nothing to do with it being a small town though)
Me too. I feel abit foolish chosing Perth over Brissy.

I will try Brissy next year hopefully. Perth is just not my style.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Me too. I feel abit foolish chosing Perth over Brissy.

I will try Brissy next year hopefully. Perth is just not my style.
I'm on real downer at the minute.

I'm absolutely kicking myself for coming to Perth.

I don't like to think that I have any regrets in life and I'm not that keen on admitting to mistakes but I'm afraid I do regret coming here and it was a big mistake.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

stubbieholder31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, sorry to hear that. Why the regrets though if you don't mind me asking?
What don't you like about it?
I am trying to build a picture so that i can decide if it would be right for me and my family.

Leah
Old Jul 9th 2007, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I assume you're asking me?

Well, first of all it's a nice city with great beaches.

But that's it.

It's a nice city with great beaches...

That really is it.

You need to ask yourself - as I have been doing for two years - whether that is enough - and for me....it isn't.

It certainly isn't enough when you consider the extortionate house prices and the poor wages (well, my poor wage) unless you're in the mining sector.

I have well-documented concerns about the education system also. My (rented) house is freezing in winter. (Many other houses are similarly badly built). I'm now in the kids' school hiolidays and I can't get anywhere decent quickly. Local landscape is tedious to say the least.

Suburbs are bland and if they aren't bland they are incredibly expensive.

And I find Perth very parochial and....just backward!

But....nice beaches and very gleaming skyline.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

ykx1426 has a spectacular aura aboutykx1426 has a spectacular aura aboutykx1426 has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=worzel;5030854]You either get Perth or you don't. If you like bustling cities it won't work for you. It has everything you need (unless you like U2) but just a bit better-paced.

Why the reference to U2? Do they not get Perth?? I thought they played the Burswood Dome back in the late 90s?
Old Jul 10th 2007, 12:49 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I assume you're asking me?

Well, first of all it's a nice city with great beaches.

But that's it.

It's a nice city with great beaches...

That really is it.

You need to ask yourself - as I have been doing for two years - whether that is enough - and for me....it isn't.

It certainly isn't enough when you consider the extortionate house prices and the poor wages (well, my poor wage) unless you're in the mining sector.

I have well-documented concerns about the education system also. My (rented) house is freezing in winter. (Many other houses are similarly badly built). I'm now in the kids' school hiolidays and I can't get anywhere decent quickly. Local landscape is tedious to say the least.

Suburbs are bland and if they aren't bland they are incredibly expensive.

And I find Perth very parochial and....just backward!

But....nice beaches and very gleaming skyline.
Absolutely agree. Karma sent.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 12:54 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think queensland it you want a busier lifestyle Perth if you want a laid back quite lifestyle.

I lived in melbourne before coming to perth i found melbourne a bit overwhelming but now im here in perth i actually miss the hussle and bussle of melbourne Perth for me can be too quiet thats my opion if i had my time again i would probably try queensland.

good luck with your decision!!

kezx
Old Jul 10th 2007, 1:01 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ykx1426
Why the reference to U2? Do they not get Perth?? I thought they played the Burswood Dome back in the late 90s?
They did a world tour either last year or the year before but wouldn't come to Perth as their show was too big to bring all the way across the Nullabor. Just about everyone else comes here though.

I don't get the persistent comments about "nice beaches but nothing else to do". We have done more here in 2 years than we did in 10 in the UK. Northbridge nightlife is good, gigs a plenty, loads of events staged for the kids, loads of places to go, lots of things outdoorsy to do....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.