Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Queensland

Perth or Queensland

Old Jul 17th 2007, 5:57 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perth or Queensland

This is in no way, shape or form a dig, but I'm curious to learn just how much research you put in prior to the move ... ?

We set ourselves realistic income targets & thoroughly investigated property prices in the areas that took our fancy.

We would have loved to move into Subiaco or Fremantle but the housing costs were in our opinion way over the odds.

In general, almost always ... property will appreciate as an investment. Perth prices within the last 5 - 6 years have been rising at a pace never been seen before. I'm surprised you didn't break the bank to get on the ladder?

It's easy being wise with hindsight but our extensive research prior to departure has certainly stood us in good stead now.

If we were moving now from the UK with what we had when we did, Perth would almostly certainly not be our preferred destination.

Our original hopes & dreams of Australia 4.5 years ago when we first started looking into the emigration process was the promise of a mortgage free existance. Reality has altered all that ...

Perth would be a tough place to start now for the "average" family ...

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I still think that there exists a blinkered mentality whereby those that have been successful in Perth seem to think that everybody else must be some kind of idiot not to see the apparent utopia.

I can perfectly well see why people who are very successfully financially might see Perth as some kind of wonderland. They have a nice house (houses), they can, whenever the opportunity presents itself, jet off to Singapore, Melbourne, Sydney or the UK for a refresher. They can send their kids to the best schools.

Contrast with those who earn the average wage who are trying to buy a house, who are stuck in Perth forever due to the inability to afford even a temporary escape, who are at the mercy at the state education system who can't afford private medical...I still haven't read (m)any posts from those earning $60 - 70K stating how much they love Perth. Come on - where are you all?!
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:00 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Three Legs
This is in no way, shape or form a dig, but I'm curious to learn just how much research you put in prior to the move ... ?

We set ourselves realistic income targets & thoroughly investigated property prices in the areas that took our fancy.

We would have loved to move into Subiaco or Fremantle but the housing costs were in our opinion way over the odds.

In general, almost always ... property will appreciate as an investment. Perth prices within the last 5 - 6 years have been rising at a pace never been seen before. I'm surprised you didn't break the bank to get on the ladder?

It's easy being wise with hindsight but our extensive research prior to departure has certainly stood us in good stead now.

If we were moving now from the UK with what we had when we did, Perth would almostly certainly not be our preferred destination.

Our original hopes & dreams of Australia 4.5 years ago when we first started looking into the emigration process was the promise of a mortgage free existance. Reality has altered all that ...

Good post and spot on there mate.

Has the baby popped out to say hello yet
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:04 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Has the baby popped out to say hello yet
Alas not ...

Done the curry, done the pineapple ... the castor oil & bedroom gymnastics may shift it
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:08 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Alas not ...

Done the curry, done the pineapple ... the castor oil & bedroom gymnastics may shift it
well have fun while you try.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:17 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, agree with nearly all of that. The one exception is the "mortgage-free" thing. It was certainly an objective before we came but we have changed our minds since. Partly because prices rose 20% between application for visas and buying so it was not an option. But it was also a choice. We took out a larger mortgage than planned by $50K but that meant we could afford the boat. Our mortgage is still only 20% of total outgoings. Look at Steve's situation. Enjoy it while you can.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that my negative view of Perth as due solely to house prices has become something of an urban myth. The high price of property in Perth is not the main reason why I think that I've just about had my fill of the place.

On a perfect summer's day I think Perth is fantastic. I also think that it is a great place for young kids. Our household income isn't bad. And I have no desire to move back to the UK.

For me I have signifcant reservations about the education system here. That is just about my number one concern - primary, secondary and higher.

Secondly, I find the landscape dull and uninspiring. I've been up to Exmouth and I've been down south. Even down south - it was OK but a lot of hours to see something which was "OK". I couldn't believe how disappointed I was by Rottnest Island - having lived on the edge of the rainforest for 5 years I can't get excited by an off-shore sand dune.

The suburbs I find souless - complete monotony devoid of all character. Even those "established" suburbs like Cottesloe, Claremont and Dalkieth are, to be honest, pretty dull. (Fremantle is the one saving grace of the place). Once you get into the realms of Duncraig, Carine, Kingsley, Ocean Reef, Joondalup - it's just about impossible to tell where you are. You really could be anywhere in the Perth metro.

Perth is isolated take it or leave it. If I want to see another city I have to travel a long way. Sure, you may think that I should have known this before I moved here (I did) BUT often potential issues don't become real issues until you have lived here for 2 years.

Whilst my salary is OK, I could earn better elsewhere - especially in relation to property prices. And then I get to property prices which are just not low enough to cover all of the negatives above.

There are other niggles such as lack of Sunday opening, union powers, this state government, poor range and quality of groceries in supermarkets, the shoddy building work which goes on, the fact that by midday it's too windy for the beach...etc etc. (And these are just niggles before the true defenders of the place say "I can't believe that you want to leave because the shops aren't open on a Sunday!")

House prices are an issue but it is not the main driver for me. It's just that cheaper house prices no-longer cover up the negatives for me - they may have done 4 years ago but they don't now - because cheaper house prices don't exist.

Just on balance, I don't think that Perth is as fantastic as others think.

(BTW there also exists in some people the unthinkable. "We've made the move, we've bought a house and we will just bloody well enjoy it because we're not moving again" Perth could be like the arse-end of the universe and they still wouldn't admit that they may actually be in the wrong place for them and their family)
Old Jul 17th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

There are other niggles such as lack of Sunday opening, union powers, this state government.................
Surely you don't want Richard Court & Kierath back......... ?
Old Jul 17th 2007, 11:14 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

(BTW there also exists in some people the unthinkable. "We've made the move, we've bought a house and we will just bloody well enjoy it because we're not moving again" Perth could be like the arse-end of the universe and they still wouldn't admit that they may actually be in the wrong place for them and their family)
There seems to be even more people unwilling to accept that some of us can be happy here than there are actually those in that position.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Well summed up, for you, but I think you have to credit that for some people it is really what they wanted.

I think alot of the ''popular'' Australian landscape is overrated - I like forests and tropical sea/landscapes and the nakedness of the outback (not the beauty cos it ain't), and the VIC countryside in particular, especially as its so close to the city, but Perth's landscape would not do it for me.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
There seems to be even more people unwilling to accept that some of us can be happy here than there are actually those in that position.
There you go..This is so true....true of just about everyone who has built a negative or "I WILL remove your rose-tinted glasses"" opinon of this country. Not talking about Nisky now.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Probably so.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wishing to be balanced as ever, today was one of those days where I thought that there were few places better than Perth...

Mid-winter, 23 degrees - glorious weather, a walk along the sea front to a great cafe in Trigg for breakfast. The sea was fabulously calm with pristine blues. Ambled back, cup of tea in the garden with the newspapers, late dinner in a great restaurant SOR with lots of good beer.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 1:03 am
A former regular of BE

Wishing to be balanced as ever, today was one of those days where I thought that there were few places better than Perth...

Mid-winter, 23 degrees - glorious weather, a walk along the sea front to a great cafe in Trigg for breakfast. The sea was fabulously calm with pristine blues. Ambled back, cup of tea in the garden with the newspapers, late dinner in a great restaurant SOR with lots of good beer.
...and today it is pi55ing it down