Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Old Jan 13th 2018, 9:53 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Capital Of Cool, Must Visit City

Originally Posted by Beoz
What's with the Coles West Leederville opening hours? Shuts at 5pm on a Saturday and doesn't open until 11am on Sunday morning. This seems standard for Perth.

Bit backwards isn't it? Is this standard?

My local Coles (all 3 of them) is open from 7am-midnight 7 days a week.
Think yourself lucky. For the longest time they didn't really have Sunday trading. Actually allowing limited opening hours is an advance for them, with the thought that they might allow deregulation "in a few decades".

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/...8688a8502640cc
Old Jan 14th 2018, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Think yourself lucky. For the longest time they didn't really have Sunday trading. Actually allowing limited opening hours is an advance for them, with the thought that they might allow deregulation "in a few decades".

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/...8688a8502640cc
Ha. I friend of mine moved to Perth a year ago. She does say its about 20 years behind the east coast.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha. I friend of mine moved to Perth a year ago. She does say its about 20 years behind the east coast.
In what way is it 20 years behind?
I lived in Melbourne for 4 years and the only difference I find apart from the size of the place is the shopping hours. No big deal really. We have running water and electricity too!

Last edited by AJCS; Jan 14th 2018 at 1:10 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Perth is not 20 years behind the east coast and this is coming from someone who hated Perth when we moved here 5 years ago after living in NSW for 9 years. Hated the fact Perth is so flat, is nowhere near as green as the east coast, is so isolated from the rest of Australia and had crap Sunday trading hours.

But Perth has grown on me. It has a great vibe actually. There are now some great places to eat and drink. And places like Fremantle, Cottesloe and Leederville are cool. But it’s the weather I love the most - the lack of humidity and days and days of cloudless blue skies and bright sunshine. It got to 36C today but the dry heat means I wasn’ t sweating buckets or bitten mercilessly by mozzies.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

What's with the Coles West Leederville opening hours? Shuts at 5pm on a Saturday and doesn't open until 11am on Sunday morning. This seems standard for Perth.

Bit backwards isn't it? Is this standard?

My local Coles (all 3 of them) is open from 7am-midnight 7 days a week.
But the IGA in Leederville is open 24/7. And it’s a really good one
Old Jan 14th 2018, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Of course Perth is not twenty years behind Eastern States or England as I have heard said. Some fashion was/is a season or two behind Europe but no idea nor care if that still applies.

I think it is a 'mating call' of the dispossessed incomers in part, to repeat a 'tired' old phrase without any really thought or perhaps other factors getting to them.

Perth is and has always been a rather conservative place, It can be hard to 'fit' in if not raised here and have a network here. This can indeed lead to feelings of 'under appreciation' in certain fields of endeavour.
If that is what is meant by being behind then a verdict of guilty could reasonably be imposed.
This results from Perth being in possession of a reasonably 'small town' mentality for quite a long time with a small but powerful 'elite' managing to keep the lid on.

This will likely be of limited concern to most though.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
But the IGA in Leederville is open 24/7. And it’s a really good one
It's my local when need something quick. Very convenient for sure. Prices make it unsuitable to do a weekly shop though ....
Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJCS
In what way is it 20 years behind?
I lived in Melbourne for 4 years and the only difference I find apart from the size of the place is the shopping hours. No big deal really. We have running water and electricity too!
I don't live in Perth so I couldn't tell you. Just hearing from someone who moved there from the eastern states.

To be fair, my regular business travel doesn't give me the impression there is a time warp going on in Perth. It would be better for a group who have lived, and I mean day to day living in both places to discuss.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Surely all that proves is you not having 'cool' friends or being too grounded in 'Sydney eccentrics' as to be able to recognise the 'cool' vibe around them?
Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't live in Perth so I couldn't tell you. Just hearing from someone who moved there from the eastern states.

To be fair, my regular business travel doesn't give me the impression there is a time warp going on in Perth. It would be better for a group who have lived, and I mean day to day living in both places to discuss.
But when has not knowing ever prevented you voicing misleading or just plain wrong opinions, with regular frequency in the past? Surely not living in Perth will not tamper with ongoing prejudices in regards to Perth?
Old Jan 15th 2018, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the troubadour
But when has not knowing ever prevented you voicing misleading or just plain wrong opinions, with regular frequency in the past? Surely not living in Perth will not tamper with ongoing prejudices in regards to Perth?
Ha ..... The pot calling the kettle black. I was pretty honest where the information comes from and clearly said its not my info.

This coming from the guy who tells us all about Sydney, how no one can live because its too expensive, how it has no natural beauty. All from one or two quick visits. Well 5 million can't be wrong sport.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ha ..... The pot calling the kettle black. I was pretty honest where the information comes from and clearly said its not my info.

This coming from the guy who tells us all about Sydney, how no one can live because its too expensive, how it has no natural beauty. All from one or two quick visits. Well 5 million can't be wrong sport.

Yet on the other hand you attempt to convince that Perth is busy. Then qualify that by stating St Georges Terrace.

Well sport, have been more than one or two quick visits to Sydney, but let that pass. Your getting there though. Sydney is too overpriced for the average punter. Some will pay over the odds others will the hell out. Outside of harbour views a very average city for those living in the burbs, as most do. So your rating of a successful city is one that 'pumps them in'.
Amazingly pedestrian analysis for one wanting to go places.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Perth and absolutely love it. Been to Sydney (crazy busy, too many people, run down, once you've seen the harbour your pretty much dove) Gold Coast (sprawling and dingy) and Melbourne (great city but not a fan of the climate) and wouldn't live anywhere else (very happy not to have too many more people live here)

Originally Posted by GarryP
You have to feel for the Perth Tourism marketing exec. It's hard work getting international tourists to turn up, since it's out of the way to the main destinations, but with the direct flights to London with non-stops, well it sounds like it's all good.

However interstate visitors are well down this year and even WA aren't holidaying instate. Put simply, those that know best don't want to holiday there.

Trying to brand Perth as 'cool' is something of a desperate throw (since anyone who's been there knows it isn't). More concentration on actual tourist draws seems indicated - like dealing with the Rotto Ferry costs and horrible service. Bribing a travel journalist to write you a positive story is more than a bit desperate.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
It's my local when need something quick. Very convenient for sure. Prices make it unsuitable to do a weekly shop though ....
I'm there most days!
Old Jan 15th 2018, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sr71
Imagine coming from London, one of the world's premier cities and arriving in Perth. It would be somewhat depressing I'd imagine, unless you like the beach.
Mmmm lived in both and would choose Perth every day of the week. London is great if you're a tourist wanting to do the museum or a young person keen on the pub/club/drugs scene or maybe a member of the elite so you could hang out with the other elite but that's it. Not to live year in year out.

Last edited by aussietobe; Jan 15th 2018 at 11:09 am. Reason: Typos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.