Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth- am I missing something here?

Perth- am I missing something here?

Old Mar 20th 2009, 3:07 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Perth- am I missing something here?

Yes perhaps Perth is just a very large isolated outback mining town, thats why OZ with a population of 21.5 million only 1.5 million live in Perth. If Perth and WA is so great then why aren't hundreds of thousands of Aussies from the east moving over there, it seems to be mostly Poms, kiwis and South Africans that want to live there. Those Aussies that move to Perth for from the east usally only move there for jobs in the mining industry not because they want to live there for a better lifestyle.

Last edited by mohogony; Mar 20th 2009 at 3:10 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of

aussietobe.............i have to disaggree with the statement that many aussies have visited Britain and found it backward!!i was in perth for 7 years and did not meet hardly any aussies that had been to UK.they had not even been out of WA !!!!!!!!they would tell me it was the best country in the world but were so iggnorant as they had never been anywhere else!!!i got sick of their small minded attitude.also dont talk about being backward! felt like i had stepped back in time .......but not in a good way
but this is just my experience ,one that made me realise how i love England and English people.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

kaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to allkaungchiau is a name known to all

I think people move to Perth for one reason or another. I have never been to Australia, so would not want to say if it is a dullsville as mentioned by one contributor above.

I suppose people who work in mining and oil and gas would live here rather than say, Melbourne or Sydney.

Life is short, make the best out of it. People who work in the oil and gas often live in the middle of nowhere, like Sahara Dessert or some very remote part of Africa. It may not appeal to some, but many ends up staying for years.

The world order is changing, and what may seem like an isolated city would appeal to many. People in big cities are often less friendly and anti social.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes perhaps Perth is just a very large isolated outback mining town, thats why OZ with a population of 21.5 million only 1.5 million live in Perth. If Perth and WA is so great then why aren't hundreds of thousands of Aussies from the east moving over there, it seems to be mostly Poms, kiwis and South Africans that want to live there. Those Aussies that move to Perth for from the east usally only move there for jobs in the mining industry not because they want to live there for a better lifestyle.
This is very strange logic...

In the same way, why isn't everyone flocking to Cambridge?
Or Devon?
Or London?
Or England?

They are all supposedly nice or happening places but only 7 million people live in London compared with 60 million in the rest of the UK. And compared with Jakarta (population 13 million) it must be twice as crap.

(Edinburgh is quite nice also but with only 450000 people living there (i.e. 0.75% of the UK's population compared with 7% of Australia's population who live in Perth) it must be a boring pile of dog doo.)
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:26 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
This is very strange logic...

In the same way, why isn't everyone flocking to Cambridge?
Or Devon?
Or London?
Or England?

They are all supposedly nice or happening places but only 7 million people live in London compared with 60 million in the rest of the UK. And compared with Jakarta (population 13 million) it must be twice as crap.

(Edinburgh is quite nice also but with only 450000 people living there (i.e. 0.75% of the UK's population compared with 7% of Australia's population who live in Perth) it must be a boring pile of dog doo.)
7 Million only takes into account Greater London i.e. the Boroughs around 1,500 square kms. The metropolitan area is over 13 million people!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:52 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by virginiec
Have been on an expat assignment in Perth for the past 2 and a half years. Now looks like I will be here on a perm basis.

I know that this is one of the best postings I could have got. However, I 'm beginning to get a bit of cabin fever.

This is especially evident on a weekend, where I'm fast running out of new things to do:

- I have regularly walked along Cottesloe esplanade
- I have often been to Margaret River (a long way to go for a weekend)
- Been to Mundaring Weir
- Been up to Lancelin
- Done Freo to death

I love travelling (Sydney is my favourite city as a base)

I dont want to come across as a winging POM but am struggling to find new places to go.

Any tips/ ideas?
Just spent the afternoon at the aviation museum at bullcreek,well worth a visit if into aviation,some good indoor fun on a hot day
Old Mar 30th 2009, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Anirak is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, would like to here more about your job in Perth, sounds interesting.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Anirak is an unknown quantity at this point

Ups, sorry, woud say: to hear
Old Mar 30th 2009, 5:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catch
Just spent the afternoon at the aviation museum at bullcreek,well worth a visit if into aviation,some good indoor fun on a hot day
Great isn't it? When we were there we were shown around the Lancaster by an old boy who was an air gunner in WW2. I had a good old yarn with him as my grandfather was a Mosquito pilot in the war.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 6:13 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Great isn't it? When we were there we were shown around the Lancaster by an old boy who was an air gunner in WW2. I had a good old yarn with him as my grandfather was a Mosquito pilot in the war.
Wow! they have a Lancaster? I'll be taking my lot there, definitely. I hadn't even heard of this museum.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 2:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Wow! they have a Lancaster? I'll be taking my lot there, definitely. I hadn't even heard of this museum.
It's great Renth. They also have a Catalina flying boat and a Spitfire plus plenty of others. My son loves it there, definitely worth a visit.