Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth- am I missing something here?

Perth- am I missing something here?

Old Mar 15th 2009, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

virginiec will become famous soon enough
Default Perth- am I missing something here?

Have been on an expat assignment in Perth for the past 2 and a half years. Now looks like I will be here on a perm basis.

I know that this is one of the best postings I could have got. However, I 'm beginning to get a bit of cabin fever.

This is especially evident on a weekend, where I'm fast running out of new things to do:

- I have regularly walked along Cottesloe esplanade
- I have often been to Margaret River (a long way to go for a weekend)
- Been to Mundaring Weir
- Been up to Lancelin
- Done Freo to death

I love travelling (Sydney is my favourite city as a base)

I dont want to come across as a winging POM but am struggling to find new places to go.

Any tips/ ideas?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth- am I missing something here?

Originally Posted by virginiec
Have been on an expat assignment in Perth for the past 2 and a half years. Now looks like I will be here on a perm basis.

I know that this is one of the best postings I could have got. However, I 'm beginning to get a bit of cabin fever.

This is especially evident on a weekend, where I'm fast running out of new things to do:

- Been to Mundaring Weir
- Been up to Lancelin
- Done Freo to death

I dont want to come across as a winging POM but am struggling to find new places to go.

Any tips/ ideas?
Are you single?

If so, leave whilst you can.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Have started seeing someone from work.

They have been here a lot longer than me but i have seen a lot more of the state...
Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

- Been to Mundaring Weir
- Been up to Lancelin
- Done Freo to death

Any tips/ ideas?
No you have pretty much covered all the ground, could always try a Brit night at the pub Old Bailey??Not a pub person perhaps?
Forgot there is Rottnest Island (once is enough )same as Penguin Island.
Got back from Melbourne four weeks ago more of an urban thing there(buzz) as in Sydney If that is what you prefer best relocate there(as not to be found here)I am sure others will spell out further virtures of being in Perth.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Have started seeing someone from work.

They have been here a lot longer than me but i have seen a lot more of the state...
I'd still leave before you start to like him/her.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the troubadour
No you have pretty much covered all the ground, could always try a Brit night at the pub Old Bailey??Not a pub person perhaps?
Forgot there is Rottnest Island (once is enough )same as Penguin Island.
Got back from Melbourne four weeks ago more of an urban thing there(buzz) as in Sydney If that is what you prefer best relocate there(as not to be found here)I am sure others will spell out further virtures of being in Perth.
I agree entirely. Rotto is good for a day: but extremely expensive

The only thing keeping me here is my job which I love...
Old Mar 15th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

I have to admit that I'm also going a little stir-crazy.

I guess that's what comes from having Europe on the doorstep for so long. To now being in one of the most isolated cities in the world, where it costs a small fortune to get anywhere.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

How about going up to Moore River, it's lovely there. Or closer to home Yanchep? Have you done the Swan Valley wineries?

We've been to the outdoor cinema quite a few times, although it's probably coming to the end of the season now but worth checking out.

How about Phantom of the Opera or Drailion?

M
Old Mar 15th 2009, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Done Yanchep, and done Swan Valley many times. Go up there every few weeks to pick up some rather nice honey!

I think with me it's missing having the option of visiting different countries and cultures so easily. Get on an Easyjet flight and be in Switzerland/Germany/Greece etc within a couple of hours.

I'm enjoying my time here in Perth. But must admit that as time goes by I can't see it really being a long-term thing. There's simply not enough to do over weekends.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 5:56 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by the troubadour
No you have pretty much covered all the ground
What, covered all the ground in only five different things?

Try http://101wa.com.au/ - 101 different things to go and see in WA. 23 of them in Perth.

On a more general point: Maybe Perth isn't the right place for those of you who don't like it. But that may be as much about the person as it is about Perth. That's not intended to be a criticism of anyone. But it does annoy me when people post saying "Perth is boring". What you mean is, "I find Perth boring". There is a world of difference in what the two sentences mean.

b
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:07 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by benlast

Try http://101wa.com.au/ - 101 different things to go and see in WA. 23 of them in Perth.

On a more general point: Maybe Perth isn't the right place for those of you who don't like it. But that may be as much about the person as it is about Perth. That's not intended to be a criticism of anyone. But it does annoy me when people post saying "Perth is boring". What you mean is, "I find Perth boring". There is a world of difference in what the two sentences mean.

b
Maybe it is you that thinks "Perth is great" rather than "Perth is great"
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by benlast

b
Thanks for that. Have done a lot of the things on the list. Coral Bay remains one place where I'd like to go to along with Broome. But these are things which take some planning.

This wasn't meant to be a criticism of Perth. Its just that people regulalry state that Perth is one of the best cities in the world in which to live and it feels like people are seeing things that i cannot.

I have lived in most major cities in the world and have found Perth the hardest to break down the barriers and fit in.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Thanks for that. Have done a lot of the things on the list. Coral Bay remains one place where I'd like to go to along with Broome. But these are things which take some planning.

This wasn't meant to be a criticism of Perth. Its just that people regulalry state that Perth is one of the best cities in the world in which to live and it feels like people are seeing things that i cannot.

I have lived in most major cities in the world and have found Perth the hardest to break down the barriers and fit in.
You quite obviously need to develop an alcohol addiction and fit in with the rest of the Perth-ites, there's always plenty to do if you like drinking
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
You quite obviously need to develop an alcohol addiction and fit in with the rest of the Perth-ites, there's always plenty to do if you like drinking
Having lived in Paris and Moscow I have drunk more than my fair share....
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:29 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing keeping me here is my job which I love...
Tell us more about this job that you love... I wish I had one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.