Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth- am I missing something here?

Perth- am I missing something here?

Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

jsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant futurejsvk has a brilliant future
Default Re: Perth- am I missing something here?

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Maybe it is you that thinks "Perth is great" rather than "Perth is great"
hi you can try taking a trip out to the country to york, or new norcia or try a picnic at north dandalup dam a really lovely place to visit, also serpentine and pinjarra (there are wineries), try going to wooraloo and having a look at the dancing horses..try dwellingup for a weekend escape or moore river, you could also go south to yelgorup eco park or footprints eco park for weekends away... I have lived in perth for 30 plus years and i love it there are always things to do!! try the visitors centre on line or visit postcardswa this great state has so much to do and so much to offer if you really want to explore..we live in the most isolated city in the world but that dosent mean its the most boring either..
Old Mar 15th 2009, 6:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by virginiec
Have been on an expat assignment in Perth for the past 2 and a half years. Now looks like I will be here on a perm basis.

I know that this is one of the best postings I could have got. However, I 'm beginning to get a bit of cabin fever.

This is especially evident on a weekend, where I'm fast running out of new things to do:

- I have regularly walked along Cottesloe esplanade
- I have often been to Margaret River (a long way to go for a weekend)
- Been to Mundaring Weir
- Been up to Lancelin
- Done Freo to death

I love travelling (Sydney is my favourite city as a base)

I dont want to come across as a winging POM but am struggling to find new places to go.

Any tips/ ideas?
You can go to Singapore or KL really cheaply now. Just did a quick check, and a weekend return to Singapore on Tiger can be had for under $350. Flight time is roughly the same as to the east coast. I'd rather go there than Sydney or Brisbane.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe you need to take up some new sport and join a club, so that although you may be in the same place at the weekend you have people to do stuff with and start to belong. Would you like to learn to surf, snorkel, dive, kayak, skydive, drive a boat, 4WD? There are classes and clubs for each of these and many others. There are eco clubs where you can travel to nice destinations and clear paths, save creatures etc. There are nice places up north to visit, but a bit distant. But yeah, if you need to get out, fly to somewhere else.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:47 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You can go to Singapore or KL really cheaply now. Just did a quick check, and a weekend return to Singapore on Tiger can be had for under $350. Flight time is roughly the same as to the east coast. I'd rather go there than Sydney or Brisbane.
Not meant as a criticism of Perth or Oz for that matter but the distance from 'anywhere' does come into play. When I lived in Bristol I used to go out on a Friday night every couple of months or so in Dublin. Fly out Friday afternoon and catch the first flight back Sat morning. Cost... about 25quid return.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Not meant as a criticism of Perth or Oz for that matter but the distance from 'anywhere' does come into play. When I lived in Bristol I used to go out on a Friday night every couple of months or so in Dublin. Fly out Friday afternoon and catch the first flight back Sat morning. Cost... about 25quid return.
It's one of the few disadvantages of living at the bottom of the world......
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:46 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Yes. It is. But I'm not arrogant enough to think that my opinion must automatically be true for everyone else.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Are you single?

If so, leave whilst you can.
Very sound advice...
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I'd still leave before you start to like him/her.
Even sounder advice.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree entirely. Rotto is good for a day: but extremely expensive

The only thing keeping me here is my job which I love...
Me too...well perhaps not love entirely but i know my way around it and with what looks like some very turbulant times ahead i intend to continue at least until mid 2010 here and postpone arriving at a decision until after an extended break in Europe.(move to Melbourne or Sydney or really still belong to the European world)
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:42 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benlast
What, covered all the ground in only five different things?

Try http://101wa.com.au/ - 101 different things to go and see in WA. 23 of them in Perth.

On a more general point: Maybe Perth isn't the right place for those of you who don't like it. But that may be as much about the person as it is about Perth. That's not intended to be a criticism of anyone. But it does annoy me when people post saying "Perth is boring". What you mean is, "I find Perth boring". There is a world of difference in what the two sentences mean.

b
Completely agree. This weekend I have been diving, next weekend will be wakeboarding. 2 weeks ago I was snorkelling and doing offroad driving. The weekends can't come round quickly enough for me, there is always a tough choice of what to do every weekend. But if you don't like doing that sort of thing then Perth probably isn't for you.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by margy
How about going up to Moore River, it's lovely there. Or closer to home Yanchep? Have you done the Swan Valley wineries?

We've been to the outdoor cinema quite a few times, although it's probably coming to the end of the season now but worth checking out.

How about Phantom of the Opera or Drailion?

M
Yes all very nice for what it is although a number of things are to a greater or lesser extent similar,especially what is on offer by the sea.
Perhaps it is me but i find Mindarie Quays, Hillarys,and the like, a little stirile,even sanitized and just a tiny bit boring.
Swan Valley is good,enjoy DuckStein,A german eating and drinking place there but again how many trips can one make there in a year?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by benlast
What, covered all the ground in only five different things?

Try http://101wa.com.au/ - 101 different things to go and see in WA. 23 of them in Perth.

On a more general point: Maybe Perth isn't the right place for those of you who don't like it. But that may be as much about the person as it is about Perth. That's not intended to be a criticism of anyone. But it does annoy me when people post saying "Perth is boring". What you mean is, "I find Perth boring". There is a world of difference in what the two sentences mean.

b
Well of course goes one would have assumed with out saying this same measure can be applied to any number of things in life surely?
Some folk enjoy a more active life style others prefer a place displaying a more reflective,creative or even artistic
side with a far greater choice of possible alternatives in interests and more diverse social contact possibilities than is immediately apparent here.
Nought to be annoyed about really just people searching out different things.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Are you single?

If so, leave whilst you can.

Totally agree.

Thanks for that. Have done a lot of the things on the list. Coral Bay remains one place where I'd like to go to along with Broome. But these are things which take some planning.

This wasn't meant to be a criticism of Perth. Its just that people regulalry state that Perth is one of the best cities in the world in which to live and it feels like people are seeing things that i cannot.

I have lived in most major cities in the world and have found Perth the hardest to break down the barriers and fit in.
No, people are not seeing things that you are not. You are seeing the reality. Perth, unless you are into the offroading or the ocean is boring once you have done the things on your list.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's one of the few disadvantages of living at the bottom of the world......
I would say it is one of the MANY disadvantages.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that. Have done a lot of the things on the list. Coral Bay remains one place where I'd like to go to along with Broome. But these are things which take some planning.

This wasn't meant to be a criticism of Perth. Its just that people regulalry state that Perth is one of the best cities in the world in which to live and it feels like people are seeing things that i cannot.

I have lived in most major cities in the world and have found Perth the hardest to break down the barriers and fit in.
You are not alone with regards to your comments about breaking down the barriers...Takes time....the sprawl goes a long way in retarding to a degree social contact.
Perth may be fantastic for some namely couples with young children (up to 16 or so)was going to say for the elderly..but not sure one does not see too many around and about....For singles,et al perhaps benefits less pronouced?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

virginiec will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by the troubadour
You are not alone with regards to your comments about breaking down the barriers...Takes time....the sprawl goes a long way in retarding to a degree social contact.
Perth may be fantastic for some namely couples with young children (up to 16 or so)was going to say for the elderly..but not sure one does not see too many around and about....For singles,et al perhaps benefits less pronouced?
The thing that gets me is the touchiness of the West Aussies. I have lived in a lot of cities all around the world, I am doing a project that has put a lot of money into the local economy and when I suggest areas where Perth could learn from other places I am met with a barrage of abuse: "if you don't like it then F**K off back"

Unbeliveably parochial!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.