Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth- am I missing something here?

Perth- am I missing something here?

Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth- am I missing something here?

Originally Posted by TandC23
I second that motion!
Trying to make my mind up on that one ,what the hell lets live dangerously Perth i will cast my vote in the affirmative also.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sprintman
Can somebody please explain the British mania for moving to Perth (dullsville) which is so isolated from the rest of Australia let alone the world? Is there a WA team in the U.K pushing WA as the place to be because the rest of the poms and Aussies really don't understand. You move from a country with a sort of temperate climate and close proximity to other people and varied landscapes to the state with nobody for thousands of kms and an extreme climate. For us poms in other parts of Oz this seems like madness of a diffeerent kind. What really is driving this?
Perhaps i can be of a little help here.It is all to do with something called Lifestyle do hope this clarifies your question.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:18 pm
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future

Never equated dull & boring with lifestyle but each to their own.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sprintman
Never equated dull & boring with lifestyle but each to their own.
Me neither,until after a number of years of hearing this word used out here.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heljinder
Yes, you're quite right, but this is the very reason why I'm taking my two young boys away from WA, and back to England. I rather not be faced with two adolescent boys possibly resenting their parents for raising them in such a dull, claustrophobic and insular strip of humanity in the middle of nowhere, away from their extended family and roots. I'm not so sure of the philosophy behind the oft used statement 'a better life for the kids'. My kids were fine in England, they never asked me to move them to Perth so they could have a better lifestyle. If adults need to scratch the immigration itch, then retire here instead, but leave your children out of it. My own opinion, of course.

This wasn't directed at you ACE, I just wanted to highlight what you said about Perth being better for families and older people.
My current take on Perth/UK is this:

If I had a household income of over 70K GBP then I think I would be happier in the UK. I’d pretty much have the choice of areas where I could live and therefore the choice of schools.

I’d be able to escape the gloomy weather whenever I wished – two weeks in Greece in October would be no problem.

I’d be able to afford a decent car for doing European road trips – and the petrol for the trips.

I’d be able to jet off for city breaks to Paris, Berlin, Rome etc for the weekend.

But our household income in the UK would be about 45K GBP at an absolute push.
None of the above would be possible for us and many of the things that people talk about missing wouldn’t be accessible to us.
I know that although there are many things I miss about the UK, I’d soon be sitting there frustrated that I couldn’t afford to do anything.

I wonder what the average household income of people from the UK now in Perth was?
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Me too although lived in a what i considered a very safe area W2 for many years constantly ventured all over London with out encountering any (well almost)problems on the street(inside a few pubs and clubs well that was a different matter but even then only on odd occassions)
Do you really feel that it would be so different now?I mean it was still dodgy in parts then just got on with it.

Maybe not, but I'm older and wiser now and probably wouldn't take the chance. I can also afford the taxi fare home now which helps!!

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
My current take on Perth/UK is this:

If I had a household income of over 70K GBP then I think I would be happier in the UK. I’d pretty much have the choice of areas where I could live and therefore the choice of schools.

I’d be able to escape the gloomy weather whenever I wished – two weeks in Greece in October would be no problem.

I’d be able to afford a decent car for doing European road trips – and the petrol for the trips.

I’d be able to jet off for city breaks to Paris, Berlin, Rome etc for the weekend.

But our household income in the UK would be about 45K GBP at an absolute push.
None of the above would be possible for us and many of the things that people talk about missing wouldn’t be accessible to us.
I know that although there are many things I miss about the UK, I’d soon be sitting there frustrated that I couldn’t afford to do anything.

I wonder what the average household income of people from the UK now in Perth was?
Our household income in the UK nearly 9 years ago was approx 60K GBP, both of us working full time. With 1 child and another on the way that would have dropped significantly as we both wanted me to stay at home. That did influence our move to OZ as it meant we could afford to live on one income quite comfortably at that time here in Perth.

When we return to the UK we should be able to get between 70 and 80k GBP a year with one full timer and one part timer. Here we have well over a A$100k, working full time and part time, a small mortgage and can only afford a holiday out of WA every 2 years! And before anyone says I need to holiday in WA, I have, but I actually find you get better value elsewhere.

We definately had more spare cash 5 years ago than we do now and we were on one income then. Shows how expensive Perth has become.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stm1971
Maybe not, but I'm older and wiser now and probably wouldn't take the chance. I can also afford the taxi fare home now which helps!!

Our household income in the UK nearly 9 years ago was approx 60K GBP, both of us working full time. With 1 child and another on the way that would have dropped significantly as we both wanted me to stay at home. That did influence our move to OZ as it meant we could afford to live on one income quite comfortably at that time here in Perth.

When we return to the UK we should be able to get between 70 and 80k GBP a year with one full timer and one part timer. Here we have well over a A$100k, working full time and part time, a small mortgage and can only afford a holiday out of WA every 2 years! And before anyone says I need to holiday in WA, I have, but I actually find you get better value elsewhere.

We definately had more spare cash 5 years ago than we do now and we were on one income then. Shows how expensive Perth has become.
I suggest you go back to the UK asap and then report, it is a very different place from 9 years ago.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:08 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
I suggest you go back to the UK asap and then report, it is a very different place from 9 years ago.
Yes, apparently it has gone to the dogs.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Your point??

It actually hasn't been 9 years since I have been there (been back a few times for varying lengths) and I know it is a different place now. Perth has also changed a lot in 9 years, some good, some bad. Swings and roundabouts mate.

We are actually do a lot more research into a move back to the UK than we ever did coming out to Perth. Rose tinted glases are long gone!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
Yes, apparently it has gone to the dogs.
It's been going to the dogs for as long as I can remember, looks like it finally made it!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

This is a ridiculous thread.

Everyone should have looked carefully at moving here and have their own reasons for moving here.

Just because someone has different reasons than another person, that doesn't make it wrong.

Life is what you make of it. Perth is a great place to live, as is the UK.

They are both what you make of them. Some will like, others won't.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:19 am
Account Closed

It's been going to the dogs for as long as I can remember, looks like it finally made it!
Don't listen to them. The UK is a great place to live. Don't let people put you off. Some people on here seem to like to slag off the UK to justify their reasons for moving to Australia.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:21 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Don't listen to them. The UK is a great place to live. Don't let people put you off. Some people on here seem to like to slag off the UK to justify their reasons for moving to Australia.
Never!!!!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't worry I don't!!

I have actually enjoyed living in Australia for the most part and I have never slagged off the UK as it is my home and for all it's problems it is still a great place to live. It's a shame some people only choose to see the bad parts of it.

I think a lot of people also forget that it was the skills and education they aquired in the UK that enabled them to emigrate in the first place, they should be a bit kinder to their homeland.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:36 am
Account Closed

Don't worry I don't!!

I have actually enjoyed living in Australia for the most part and I have never slagged off the UK as it is my home and for all it's problems it is still a great place to live. It's a shame some people only choose to see the bad parts of it.

I think a lot of people also forget that it was the skills and education they aquired in the UK that enabled them to emigrate in the first place, they should be a bit kinder to their homeland.
Maybe the UK is better off without them. Good luck mate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.