Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth- am I missing something here?

Perth- am I missing something here?

Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:24 am
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future
Default Re: Perth- am I missing something here?

Can somebody please explain the British mania for moving to Perth (dullsville) which is so isolated from the rest of Australia let alone the world? Is there a WA team in the U.K pushing WA as the place to be because the rest of the poms and Aussies really don't understand. You move from a country with a sort of temperate climate and close proximity to other people and varied landscapes to the state with nobody for thousands of kms and an extreme climate. For us poms in other parts of Oz this seems like madness of a diffeerent kind. What really is driving this?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stm1971
That's exactly how I used to feel when I was out in London, it has a special buzz about it. I know some people hate it but love or hate it, it is one of the things that Australian cities don't really have. The closest I have come to it here is in Melbourne.

A friend of mine posted some pics of a night out in London on Facebook over the weekend of them just enjoying the city and taking in the sights. She has lived in London all her life.

She even managed to get there and home again on the tube without being mugged or stabbed, something some people who don't like London can't seem to comprehend!
Was in Melbourne a little over four weeks ago and agree with comments.I am sort of considering moving there but not before mid next year after a trip to Europe.
Actually thought that Fitzroy Street and Gertrude Street would have been a little buzzier..but still liked it.
Your friend sure must be brave travelling by tube after dark and disregarding life and limb while dodging hoodies
on the walk home.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Was in Melbourne a little over four weeks ago and agree with comments.I am sort of considering moving there but not before mid next year after a trip to Europe.
Actually thought that Fitzroy Street and Gertrude Street would have been a little buzzier..but still liked it.
Your friend sure must be brave travelling by tube after dark and disregarding life and limb while dodging hoodies
on the walk home
LOL, she wasn't alone!!

Makes me cringe to think that I used to walk home in the dark on my own from my local East London tube station after a night out. Don't think I would be that brave now!!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:11 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
This sort of thing isn't just confined to WA; it is similar in SA too. They have a small town colonial chip on their shoulder and don't like being advised by people with a pommy accent that there may be a better way of doing things. Those same people are usually the ones who criticize the UK when they have never left Australia.
Fortunately, not everyone has that mentality, particularly if they have travelled a bit....
Having travelled through 23 countries and having lived in Finland, UK, Germany, Greece and the last decade in Oz, I may get some s....t from this... but sorry to say those few (but vocal) whinging poms have earned that name. There are those fantastic people who actually understand that they APPLIED for the right to live in this country, they WANTED to come here. And as soon as they saw it not being England in the sun they start (quite vocally) hating the place.

God forbid they had to look for new mates, new hobbies, new foods to eat, banking is different, (TV surprisingly works but heaven forbits doesnt show Corrie or EastEnders...)currency is different, some things more expensive, some cheaper, they ran out of things to do as they were only doing touristy stuff (how about normal stuff because you LIVE here, you are not on holiday and therefore, as worzel suggested go diving or snorkelling, or join footy club, cricket, netball, you name it to make new mates, go camping etc....), live like a local and you may understand why locals love it.

I have spent 10 yrs here and apart from weekends where I choose to stay home, I am forever running around with stuff to do. My first point ALWAYS for stuff to do is mates giving ideas and if we can't come up with something we dig out local paper and find the "stuff to do" page. Surprising what you end up doing on weekends, from camping trip to the bush, jetty jumping with mates, winery tour, local free concert, footy match, horse races, diving, fishing, kids festivals, about learning local volunteer services through their "open days etc". I suppose, life is what you make of it.

I chose to live here, and I chose to make it the best life I can have. No, It's not what I grew up with but hey, I moved half way across the world to different climate, different country, just because they speak english, does not mean they are ANYTHING like England. They are country in their own right, and just because past history makes them believe they are all UK like, the melting pot created by decades of migration from Asia, Europe, US and alike, means it is just that, new country with new ways. Adjust, move or leave.
Now, ducking for cover.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:32 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
Having travelled through 23 countries and having lived in Finland, UK, Germany, Greece and the last decade in Oz, I may get some s....t from this... but sorry to say those few (but vocal) whinging poms have earned that name. There are those fantastic people who actually understand that they APPLIED for the right to live in this country, they WANTED to come here. And as soon as they saw it not being England in the sun they start (quite vocally) hating the place.

God forbid they had to look for new mates, new hobbies, new foods to eat, banking is different, (TV surprisingly works but heaven forbits doesnt show Corrie or EastEnders...)currency is different, some things more expensive, some cheaper, they ran out of things to do as they were only doing touristy stuff (how about normal stuff because you LIVE here, you are not on holiday and therefore, as worzel suggested go diving or snorkelling, or join footy club, cricket, netball, you name it to make new mates, go camping etc....), live like a local and you may understand why locals love it.

I have spent 10 yrs here and apart from weekends where I choose to stay home, I am forever running around with stuff to do. My first point ALWAYS for stuff to do is mates giving ideas and if we can't come up with something we dig out local paper and find the "stuff to do" page. Surprising what you end up doing on weekends, from camping trip to the bush, jetty jumping with mates, winery tour, local free concert, footy match, horse races, diving, fishing, kids festivals, about learning local volunteer services through their "open days etc". I suppose, life is what you make of it.

I chose to live here, and I chose to make it the best life I can have. No, It's not what I grew up with but hey, I moved half way across the world to different climate, different country, just because they speak english, does not mean they are ANYTHING like England. They are country in their own right, and just because past history makes them believe they are all UK like, the melting pot created by decades of migration from Asia, Europe, US and alike, means it is just that, new country with new ways. Adjust, move or leave.
Now, ducking for cover.
Teza for President (when we get a Repubic)
Old Mar 16th 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Teza for President (when we get a Repubic)
I second that motion!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stm1971
LOL, she wasn't alone!!

Makes me cringe to think that I used to walk home in the dark on my own from my local East London tube station after a night out. Don't think I would be that brave now!!
Me too although lived in a what i considered a very safe area W2 for many years constantly ventured all over London with out encountering any (well almost)problems on the street(inside a few pubs and clubs well that was a different matter but even then only on odd occassions)
Do you really feel that it would be so different now?I mean it was still dodgy in parts then just got on with it.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mohogony
Move to Victoria, no one gets bored there, theres millions of things to do and places to go in both Melbourne and the entire state.
Melbourne as it goes is pretty cool and do have a friend from Perth who moved there over a year ago and still raves about it..and he was a local to Perth but it would appear lost forever.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

I think where you come from in the UK influences what you think about Perth. Me and the wife are from Cornwall and appreciate the wonderful surroundings and great climate in Perth and love going for long walks at weekends and then home for a few drinks in the evening.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Catch
Having lived in Bunbury for 2 years for work commitments,(No offence to bunbury)Perth feels like NewYork,Always find things to do and we are not "Outdoor sporty types"
Used to live in Albany and yes Perth can appear a bit like that after time spent in such places(nice that Albany is and all)
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ACE
I can never understand it when I see threads where people get really upset because someone else has said that where they are living (usually Perth) is boring. It is just a personal preference thing some love it some don't and there is absolutely nothing wrong with you voicing you opinion. I understand 100% why some people find it boring and would not try to convince anyone otherwise. The thing I absolutely love about living here is the lifestyle. I have been here for almost 3 years and I still love doing simple things like crabbing on the estuary with the kids, taking the boat to the Lake and camping out, fishing, watching the sunset over the ocean, picnics, parties, barbies with friends and I still love the beach even in winter just looking at and being near the water gives me a buzz. We have always lived within walking distance or view of water, just being able to see or get out on the water everyday alone is enough to keep me here. I just love the slow laid back life I now I have, I live in Mandurah but we do go up to Perth fairly often usually for meals, concerts, (Ruby Philogene an international opera diva and friend who I worked with at Opera North in Leeds has just relocated to Mandurah so we will be able to enjoy some world calss opera in Perth very soon) Kings Park, exhibitions and functions; I don't enjoy clothes shopping and pubs so the lack of those things here is not a worry. I am so much more relaxed than I was before moving here I have a fantastic job that I really appreciate, we are building our own home, I have taken up boating (got my skippers ticket last year), Teakwondo (got my two stripe yellow belt last year), yoga, I exercise on the beach before work and these are the things that make my life fulfilling and exciting. I just have a different outlook on life I am really laid back and chilled. There are lots of things to see and do some take a lot of planning and money however, the WA lifestyle is just a lifestyle that you love or hate and one which is more suited to families or older people.

Good luck
ACE
There is that word lifestyle again.Sorry ,am pleased for you are enjoying life here thats the way it should be.Fully agree can be a grand place for young families.
Do you not think it could be a little lonely for the aged?
Suppose they could move into whats it called a lifestyle village?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
There are plenty of restaurants in Northbridge you can eat at 11pm. I really don't understand people trying to compare Perth to London, there is no comparison with things to do nor will there ever be, and the same goes for Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane etc. Whether you are East or West coast you will never be able to have a quick trip to Paris or Prague. Perth living is a lifestyle choice, as is anywhere else in the world, depends if you like that lifestyle.
I would suggest that Northbridge at 11 pm is not particular great lifestyle choice and food available then a even poorer choice.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now, ducking for cover.
God i miss Eastenders ....and do tell what is this dollar thing all about.Actually Australia is a pretty soft option and neither difficult to come to terms with nor understand.
Unlike Finland which has one of the worlds most difficult languages and climates to boot.Hey if you managed to get your tongue around that ...then respect.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:47 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Now, ducking for cover.
A great post ... it needed to be said! No need to duck ...

I really, really don't get the "perth is boring brigade". There is so much that you can involve yourself in over here and I've lived in Amsterdam, Johannesburg, London and Oxford to name a few places so it's not as if I've lived a sheltered existence at all.

I suspect that it's the people that sit back and expect to be entertained, that can't cut it over here.

Give me a concert at a winery than some superbowl stadium any day. Perth is cool
Old Mar 16th 2009, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
I think where you come from in the UK influences what you think about Perth. Me and the wife are from Cornwall and appreciate the wonderful surroundings and great climate in Perth and love going for long walks at weekends and then home for a few drinks in the evening.
I can see that you are going to love it here and have a lot of fun.And do agree does depend a lot on where one hails from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.