Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

People from the UK ,how you finding it here??

People from the UK ,how you finding it here??

Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all
Default Re: People from the UK ,how you finding it here??

We are based in WA & hate it. We cannot wait to go back to the UK.

On the note of houses, we have noticed that virtually no houses here have insulation, double glazing or heating. This means houses are either could and draughty or baking hot.

My husband is sitting on an environmental panel advising companies how to reduce noise, environmental waste, heat etc etc, he is met with continual 'Oh we don't do it like that here...we've always done it this way so we'll continue to do it like that'. Talk about anti-progressive. It's like living in the 1970's with an anti-challenge culture.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

The worlds biggest Geology conference! That's what!
Old Aug 6th 2012, 1:31 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateOrange
We are based in WA & hate it. We cannot wait to go back to the UK.

On the note of houses, we have noticed that virtually no houses here have insulation, double glazing or heating. This means houses are either could and draughty or baking hot.

My husband is sitting on an environmental panel advising companies how to reduce noise, environmental waste, heat etc etc, he is met with continual 'Oh we don't do it like that here...we've always done it this way so we'll continue to do it like that'. Talk about anti-progressive. It's like living in the 1970's with an anti-challenge culture.
So its just not worked out for you......what I can say is that Ozzies do not like being told 'hey, if you listen to me then you can't go wrong". They will go with your ideas but like to think it was theirs...bit like husbands really!
In your other post you mention your kids hating it and I asked then how the parents felt...now I know. Maybe your current location and social life is not ideal, is there any options to move and try other parts of this huge continent?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

So we have a car and a holiday let in colundera or wherever it is the mrs has found. Great fish and chip shop run by Indians on the front and a super market flogging dry wors just around the corner It Just gets better by the minute. What is there to dislike ?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

patsmb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zen10
Never really understood what Australians have against temperature modification in houses. The places we have looked at with no heating or cooling staggers me when we're talking about a range of temps from 0 - 45.

I suppose back before they started playing silly buggers with the economy houses were well-built with thick walls which kept the houses warm in winter and cool in summer. Now they're just cardboard boxes so the temps really get inside.
Double brick houses in SA prone to bad cracking and subsidence because of wet winters and hot summers
Old Aug 8th 2012, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Then let's say stuff made and installed at some point after 1975 = insulation.
My house was built in the 1980s and it has insulation.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Double Glazing is definitely set to take off here. I've put a fair amount of my renovation budget into insulation and not that happy with the end result now that we've been through a Winter. I anticipated being able to use a 3.5 kwh invertor reverse cycle heater for 20 mins and that heat maintaining for a major part of the evening... It did heat up well, however the heat escaped somewhere and I'm not sure where, as everything is insulated. On the poistive side, I am able to heat my whole 23 square house with 9Kwh of Reverse Cycle invertor Air conditioning, which only uses 3kwh of power at max. It's just that the heat is escaping faster than I would have thought.
Ozzie - whatever people say about the 'efficiency' of reverse cycle I ain't convinced it is the best.

We use ours occasionally to warm the house if we have been out and the fire has gone out. Yes, it does warm, but it would be depressing if it was all we had. The warmth from a real fire is so much (subjectively) better.

One day we will probably put in double-glazing. There - I've said it.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 11:24 am
Just Joined

patsmb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
My house was built in the 1980s and it has insulation.

Ozzie - whatever people say about the 'efficiency' of reverse cycle I ain't convinced it is the best.

We use ours occasionally to warm the house if we have been out and the fire has gone out. Yes, it does warm, but it would be depressing if it was all we had. The warmth from a real fire is so much (subjectively) better.

One day we will probably put in double-glazing. There - I've said it.
Double glazing and central heating with radiators I wish -we live on a hillside and its Baltic in the winter We have ducted gas heating but its no where near as good a radiators
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by patsmb
Double glazing and central heating with radiators I wish -we live on a hillside and its Baltic in the winter We have ducted gas heating but its no where near as good a radiators
I would put in double glazing just to maximise the efficiency of heating - when we have the ready cash to do it - but before our earning potential is reduced and the bills become critical.

Right now, I'm not bothered.