British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   People from the UK ,how you finding it here?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/people-uk-how-you-finding-here-764591/)

philnmi Jul 11th 2012 6:45 am

People from the UK ,how you finding it here??

Just wondering if any families landed from the uk recently anywhere in australia ,and how you are all finding it ???? other then cold :lol:
please also someone reply rather then just keep viewing ......other wise it just becomes boring on here ....

Mummy3 Jul 11th 2012 8:06 am

Re: People from the UK ,how you finding it here??

Cold but sunny, a little windy. Quite enjoying the sunny days that we get. Although the cold is making my joints hurt, think that is because I cannot really remember being warm! Looking forward to spring. But only been here 4 weeks...

feed_cantona Jul 12th 2012 10:19 am

I'm finding it good so far. My wife is from Melbourne and I am Welsh, I've visited a few times before moving so i already had an idea of what i was getting into.

The job I have is good for me as its in the industry I was in back home, in fact a good carer move, which not everyone will have and not be as lucky so maybe my outlook may be a bit more positive due to that.

The things that I have found difficult are:

- Not knowing the shops, and what i can buy in each shop. I am getting there now thankfully.

- Slow banking. I'm used to being able to move money between banks almost instantly back home, and having to wait about 4 or 4 days for a credit card payment to clear. It all is just that little bit slower.

- Getting used to the TV channels, where to find UK shows.

I find the people in general to be very nice, I can say that so far only one person I have spoken to has turned out to be an idiot.

The weather can be difficult to judge, back home you can usually tell what its going to do, but Melbourne at the moment is unpredictable.

Missing my parents but not badly, we Skype about three times a week so not bad. As a 30 year old I know that I will probably not find a friend that I'll be a close with as I was to my best friend back home. I have known him all of my life and not having a best friend to that degree is not getting me down as such but does make me a little sad.

Mummy3 Jul 12th 2012 10:38 am

met my first grumpy aussie today, a delivery guy. but have to say the people seem great.

paulandcelia Jul 13th 2012 8:17 am

10 mths in now. Overal we love it here although the first few months we found it hard.

Aussie's in general are very friendly as long as you make the effort, they don't to start with.

On the down side customer service is really bad here in my opinion, trying to get orders corrected when they made the mistake can be very frustrating and I still havn't got all my money back off Big# and TV is absolute rubbish unless you like american shows.

Tramps_mate Jul 13th 2012 8:55 am

Originally Posted by feed_cantona (Post 10168419)
I'm finding it good so far. My wife is from Melbourne and I am Welsh, I've visited a few times before moving so i already had an idea of what i was getting into.

The job I have is good for me as its in the industry I was in back home, in fact a good carer move, which not everyone will have and not be as lucky so maybe my outlook may be a bit more positive due to that.

The things that I have found difficult are:

- Not knowing the shops, and what i can buy in each shop. I am getting there now thankfully.

- Slow banking. I'm used to being able to move money between banks almost instantly back home, and having to wait about 4 or 4 days for a credit card payment to clear. It all is just that little bit slower.

- Getting used to the TV channels, where to find UK shows.

I find the people in general to be very nice, I can say that so far only one person I have spoken to has turned out to be an idiot.

The weather can be difficult to judge, back home you can usually tell what its going to do, but Melbourne at the moment is unpredictable.

Missing my parents but not badly, we Skype about three times a week so not bad. As a 30 year old I know that I will probably not find a friend that I'll be a close with as I was to my best friend back home. I have known him all of my life and not having a best friend to that degree is not getting me down as such but does make me a little sad.

Agree with learning what shops sell what!!

My temp house mate is the biggest idiot I have ever met. I don't like saying it, but I actually think he is a retard..

He told me he got in trouble in work for using the coffee holder on the office computer.

Yes, he thought the cd drive tray was a cup holder. He didnt know what a cd drive was.. He's only 35... :ohmy::blink:

Tockalosh Jul 13th 2012 10:53 am

5 hours in and loving it in Brissie. Mobile internet set up within an hour of landing, mini sims for Iphones should have been working but arent yet, shopped at Woolies and its a hell of a lot cheaper than the Middle East plus impressed (how sad) with fridge pack of heinz beens.

Sat on balcony over looking the river and besides the rain everything feels good. Now I need a cheap hire car for the month tomorrow

Tim86 Jul 13th 2012 11:22 am

its all sounding very positive (less the odd idiot! but they are everywhere i guess!)

i'm moving to Sydney next month so have all these experiences to come!

i cant wait!!!!

springoz Jul 13th 2012 10:30 pm

Would 2.5 yrs qualify as "recently"?
If so, our family are on the Sunshine Coast. I have no complaints about the cold as I really struggle with the heat and humidity of the summer months. Australia has been a good place live overall, however, we are moving back to the Uk next month. Yes, the shopping choices took some getting used to, especially the food. On the up side, because there is such lovely fresh produce, I have learned to cook so many differents things that used to be so easy and cheap to buy at Sainsbury's and are not easily available at coles or woolies.
As a family, we have found the cost of living to be way more than the North West UK. Our rental property here for example, is 3 times more than it will be on our return.
Although I have made some good friends here, my OH has not been so fortunate and we both miss our lifelong friends dearly as well as the support of family.
So, good luck with your move and I hope you have many good experiences in Australia.

Kim67 Jul 27th 2012 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 10169976)
5 hours in and loving it in Brissie. Mobile internet set up within an hour of landing, mini sims for Iphones should have been working but arent yet, shopped at Woolies and its a hell of a lot cheaper than the Middle East plus impressed (how sad) with fridge pack of heinz beens.

Sat on balcony over looking the river and besides the rain everything feels good. Now I need a cheap hire car for the month tomorrow

Welcome to Aus forum from the dark side and welcome to Brisvegas.

Mummy3 Jul 27th 2012 10:55 am

6 weeks in and the kids are really happy at school, I am meeting more people and feel a lot happier, OH is happy at work, and Summer is coming...

Only downside, getting used to the shops, there isn't a one stop for everything...

Alfresco Jul 27th 2012 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Mummy3 (Post 10196103)
6 weeks in and the kids are really happy at school, I am meeting more people and feel a lot happier, OH is happy at work, and Summer is coming...

Only downside, getting used to the shops, there isn't a one stop for everything...

Apart from Bunnings, but yes, I do get your point. ;)

Mummy3 Jul 27th 2012 11:07 am

Food, alcohol, ready meals!!!

feed_cantona Jul 27th 2012 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Mummy3 (Post 10196103)

Maybe we should start a thread to describe the shops and list british equivalents.

eddie007 Jul 27th 2012 11:12 am

Five years... Feels like five minutes... Then again beginning to forget what life was like in the uk.... Cant remember the endless days stuck indoors coz of the weather.... Thank Goodness we immigrated before the kids REALLY started getting ontop of eaxh other... Cant imagine 3 teens and a twenty summit in our house back in England....

Lovely sunny winters day here in perth.... Sunnies in the middle of winter is FABULOUS:thumbsup:.... Even if its bloody cold at night....