Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A NEW TENANT ISSUE - JUST BAD LUCK

A NEW TENANT ISSUE - JUST BAD LUCK

Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default ANOTHER ISSUE with my rented flat - JUST BAD LUCK

I have been in this flat now 4 months, Builders are working in making a new garage and other builders are refurbishing the flat next door.

The building is a mess overall but it is getting up to the point of "disgusting" and the builders in the flat next door use to work until 10pm and so on....

The cherry in the cake is an interruption to the gas this morning which let the water boiler not working.

I called the agent and he told me (in a really arrogant tone) that don't even think to call a plumber to turn the boiler on again as they will not will pay for it if I claim the money back. To call a plumber and to want a shower before work is unreasonable, and that is totally normal to wait a couple of days in winter or to have my shower in somebody's home bla bla bla...

The question is:
IF I call a plumber to turn on the boiler, do I have the right to claim the money back? If not, can I add this issue to my list of pain to elevate a formal complaint to the NSW Fair Trade Commission for all the inconvenience?

Thanks in advance....

Last edited by MAR001; Aug 8th 2012 at 9:07 am.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A NEW TENANT ISSUE - JUST BAD LUCK

Cant you restart the boiler manually?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Cant you restart the boiler manually?
Done, a good samaritan came and turned on manually (after two hours trying myself).. so problem fixed...

Not being able of getting a shower to work along with the attitude of the STRATA admin ended up in a really frustrating evening...
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

We also had a hot water issue at one point. I did not rush to call out a plumber myself as a first step not least because it is important to keep some good relations going. I think one morning without hot water is not going to kill me, if they told me they will deal with it, then I will give them the opportunity to do so. It is called being reasonable, sometimes hot water system breaks down.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:08 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAR001
Done, a good samaritan came and turned on manually (after two hours trying myself).. so problem fixed...

Not being able of getting a shower to work along with the attitude of the STRATA admin ended up in a really frustrating evening...
I hope that you got him/her to show you how to do it.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
We also had a hot water issue at one point. I did not rush to call out a plumber myself as a first step not least because it is important to keep some good relations going. I think one morning without hot water is not going to kill me, if they told me they will deal with it, then I will give them the opportunity to do so. It is called being reasonable, sometimes hot water system breaks down.
It sounds a bit less reasonable after being covered in dust for a month because of the works around, builders disturbing at 10pm, coming from the gym, no friends around and with an important meeting next day...
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAR001
It sounds a bit less reasonable after being covered in dust for a month because of the works around, builders disturbing at 10pm, coming from the gym, no friends around and with an important meeting next day...
So deal with each issue separately. Don't get your own plumber in before the agent has time to just because the builders worked late last month. It is illogical, tit for tat, and weakens any future case you may have to make.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Aug 8th 2012 at 1:27 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

The agent was probably incredulous that you could not wash without a shower - using flannel, kettle, bowl, and head over sink (if you need to wash hair).