Post man?

Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Jord w will become famous soon enough
Default Post man?

Anyone over in Australia working for
Australia Post?
I was a postman for royal mail a few years ago and looking at my options for
Australia. Would just like to know how you find the job? Working in the heat? I know it's not the best payed job but it seems like they have a lot of vacancies around Australia.

I am a Australian citizen so no problem with visa etc.

Any info would be great!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post man?

From what I can tell posties get to ride really cool mopeds all over the footpath and peoples gardens without being arrested by the police...

I would LOVE to be a postie
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Lol that sounds good to me
I have my full bike license in the UK which I think is transferable. I enjoyed the job in the UK until Royal mail made major cuts.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked with Apost for 16 years now. I'm on nights in the sorting area. At present Apost is only taking on people part time, and working them full time hours, so as to reduce penalty and overtime payments. If you work full time hours for a year you could be taken on full time.

Most full time posties are now earning between 60 to 70k plus 9 pct super.... So it works out to about the average wage... albeit with at least 4 hours of overtime per week over a year to get to that figure. We've had a couple of night shift 80ks this year.

They do favour people that have worked with the royal mail... We have a couple at our local District center.

All you have to do is get onto the Aus post website and apply there. With a motor bike licence and royal mail experience you are almost certain to be offered a part time job at least. A fair proportion of the posties, are tradesmen that work for Apost for bread and butter money and do their trades cash in hand as cream.

Here's the link

http://auspost.com.au/working-with-u...positions.html
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've worked with Apost for 16 years now. I'm on nights in the sorting area. At present Apost is only taking on people part time, and working them full time hours, so as to reduce penalty and overtime payments. If you work full time hours for a year you could be taken on full time.

Most full time posties are now earning between 60 to 70k plus 9 pct super.... So it works out to about the average wage... albeit with at least 4 hours of overtime per week over a year to get to that figure. We've had a couple of night shift 80ks this year.

They do favour people that have worked with the royal mail... We have a couple at our local District center.

All you have to do is get onto the Aus post website and apply there. With a motor bike licence and royal mail experience you are almost certain to be offered a part time job at least. A fair proportion of the posties, are tradesmen that work for Apost for bread and butter money and do their trades cash in hand as cream.

Here's the link

http://auspost.com.au/working-with-u...positions.html

That is just what I wanted to here thank you

Is it worth me applying yet as I am still in the UK do you think?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jord w
That is just what I wanted to here thank you

Is it worth me applying yet as I am still in the UK do you think?
I'd say they would want a firm residential address before considering any applicant. You can certainly try though. BTW The social aspect of Post is it's greatest benefit, means you'll find freinds and settle into your new enviornment very quickly.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

This is sounding perfect for me. Do they deliver Saturday's? As on the website it says have your weekends free?? What sort of hours do the posties work?
Thanks for the positive input!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:09 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

You can also be a post contractor in some areas but my very limited impression is that it is a pretty tough gig.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

And better still if you go where ozzieeagle is you won't have to worry about working in the heat

only joking :|
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This is sounding perfect for me. Do they deliver Saturday's? As on the website it says have your weekends free?? What sort of hours do the posties work?
Thanks for the positive input!
We should be so lucky!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We should be so lucky!

I take that as a NO!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I take that as a NO!
No at present... I think it's on the way back. Which will be after a break of more than 40 years. There is plenty of talk about it being on the agenda. It's because Aus Post are aggressively chasing the internet small parcel market.

We get some horribly hot days in Melbourne in the summer.... If its circa 38 plus and windy then you'll know all about it. They do tend to try and start ASAP on those days.

Some days there could be over 200kg of mail to deliver, with the small parcels, it's getting very heavy.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 7th 2012 at 10:42 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
You can also be a post contractor in some areas but my very limited impression is that it is a pretty tough gig.
Most contracts, especially parcel delivery with Aus Post are like slave labour.

If you get taken on permanent part time, your workload has to adhere to federal guidlines and your much better off.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your input ozzieeagle. It's a job I know I can do and that makes me feel more comfortable if we move over next year. My wife has the better job here that she will continue to do in Australia.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for your input ozzieeagle. It's a job I know I can do and that makes me feel more comfortable if we move over next year. My wife has the better job here that she will continue to do in Australia.
Exactly the same situation as myself. Best of luck and hope it goes well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.