Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

People from the UK ,how you finding it here??

People from the UK ,how you finding it here??

Old Aug 2nd 2012, 1:13 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People from the UK ,how you finding it here??

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No insulation? You would have to be living in some kind of shithole to have no insulation.
Then let's say stuff made and installed at some point after 1975 = insulation.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Add to that the single glazing, the house we are in looks modern but with ducted heating, that goes straight out the windows!!
It was really cold last night.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 3:18 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
Add to that the single glazing, the house we are in looks modern but with ducted heating, that goes straight out the windows!!
It was really cold last night.
Never really understood what Australians have against temperature modification in houses. The places we have looked at with no heating or cooling staggers me when we're talking about a range of temps from 0 - 45.

I suppose back before they started playing silly buggers with the economy houses were well-built with thick walls which kept the houses warm in winter and cool in summer. Now they're just cardboard boxes so the temps really get inside.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

So the house will be stifling if it ever warms up??
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 3:32 am
Banned

So the house will be stifling if it ever warms up??
My house is unbelievably awful in the summer. We have one crap air conditioner that is so old and inefficient I think it must be one of the prototype models from the Edwardian era. If we run it at max we can get the temp down to 28 ish on hot days, but it produces the same amount of noise I would expect from standing under a 747 at take off. The rest of the house sinks into a strange heat-haze delerium - I have measured 38 in the bedroom which is of course above body temperature.

Luckily this is only a few weeks here and there across the summer. Anyway - point is go into one of the 1920s houses with thick walls and it's totally cool without aircon. So now you have half the population burning oil and electricity to stay cool and warm, etc., just because they wanted to save a few quid constructing the houses. False economy.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No insulation? You would have to be living in some kind of shithole to have no insulation.
I live in a "modern" Queenslander and it has crappy single glazed windows with timber frames that basically allow air to blow through them. Add to that the four sets of double doors onto balconies and you get a house that requires you to open the balcony doors once the sun is up to let some heat in

The original Queenslanders are even worse.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 3:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bingobob777
I live in a "modern" Queenslander and it has crappy single glazed windows with timber frames that basically allow air to blow through them. Add to that the four sets of double doors onto balconies and you get a house that requires you to open the balcony doors once the sun is up to let some heat in

The original Queenslanders are even worse.
And sure - this is the opposite problem we have here as well in the winter when it is regularly warmer outside in the garden than inside the house. It's just the physics of living in a poorly built shelter in a country with a wide temperature range.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, surely all the insulation, double glazing, cavity wall etc would go a long way to be more green than the incentives given by the electricity companies?
Am sat in a room with 3 outside walls, 1 of which is doors, ducted heating. So have hot water bottle, blanket and may have to go and sit somewhere else with a smaller tv!!!
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I checked out the Costco in Sydney the other day and it is crazy cheap.

Think there's only a branch in sydney and melbourne at the moment but well worth making the effort to get there if you want to buy in bulk and save some serious dollars.
Joe there is one in Canberra as well, by the Airport and having been in both it is waaaaaaaay calmer than that middle eastern hotspot which is the Auburn store!! I think a second is opening in Sydney area as well.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Welcome to Aus forum from the dark side and welcome to Brisvegas.
Thank you very much, absolutely loving it but plans are changing faster than the traffic lights. Thought we were going to robina and then wife trots off to calondra and the sunny coast is suddenly the best place on earth.
One moment we are getting a 60 series LC then a novated lease patrol and now it's a choice between my beloved land rover discos and an 80 series LC

I have never been so indecisive in all my life

Perhaps the biggest shock after a lifetime of drinking Stella is that I actually prefer the taste of XXXX
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paddyo
Joe there is one in Canberra as well, by the Airport and having been in both it is waaaaaaaay calmer than that middle eastern hotspot which is the Auburn store!! I think a second is opening in Sydney area as well.
North Brisbane Costco is months away..

Can't believe there's not one already!
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, surely all the insulation, double glazing, cavity wall etc would go a long way to be more green than the incentives given by the electricity companies?
Am sat in a room with 3 outside walls, 1 of which is doors, ducted heating. So have hot water bottle, blanket and may have to go and sit somewhere else with a smaller tv!!!
Yehp, 100 pct correct.

Double Glazing is definitely set to take off here. I've put a fair amount of my renovation budget into insulation and not that happy with the end result now that we've been through a Winter. I anticipated being able to use a 3.5 kwh invertor reverse cycle heater for 20 mins and that heat maintaining for a major part of the evening... It did heat up well, however the heat escaped somewhere and I'm not sure where, as everything is insulated. I'm looking at the windows in the older part of the house now. I'm not too sure what I can do about my house being made of wood and only 8 inches max from the plaster to the outside elements. Open to suggestions on that one. Only thing I can think of is some kind of vegetation screening.

I'm not going to brick clad a 110 Year old Victorian Weatherboard thats for sure. If I put anymore insulation in the ceiling, I wont be able to see the rafters.

On the poistive side, I am able to heat my whole 23 square house with 9Kwh of Reverse Cycle invertor Air conditioning, which only uses 3kwh of power at max. It's just that the heat is escaping faster than I would have thought. The reverse will definitely happen in the Summer and heat will get in. Vegetation is definitely effective against heat ingress though.

Methinks I've only got the total double glazing option left... However for a Victorian Weatherboard I'd say my house is rated somewhere between 5 and 6 stars. I want 7.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 3rd 2012 at 9:41 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Thank you very much, absolutely loving it but plans are changing faster than the traffic lights. Thought we were going to robina and then wife trots off to calondra and the sunny coast is suddenly the best place on earth.
One moment we are getting a 60 series LC then a novated lease patrol and now it's a choice between my beloved land rover discos and an 80 series LC

I have never been so indecisive in all my life

Perhaps the biggest shock after a lifetime of drinking Stella is that I actually prefer the taste of XXXX
I would go Sunshine Gold over Gold Coast - I prefer inner Brisbane, but if the kids had finished school and me running them around constantly going North (or South over the NSW border). More sharks here than Um Suqeim Beach or Fujairah though so I tend to stay out of the water.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philnmi
Just wondering if any families landed from the uk recently anywhere in australia ,and how you are all finding it ???? other then cold
please also someone reply rather then just keep viewing ......other wise it just becomes boring on here ....
Living the Dream.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I would go Sunshine Gold over Gold Coast - I prefer inner Brisbane, but if the kids had finished school and me running them around constantly going North (or South over the NSW border). More sharks here than Um Suqeim Beach or Fujairah though so I tend to stay out of the water.
It appears most people prefer one or the other, no one appears to be undecided. We are going for a look see to the sunny tomorrow however a conference has ****ed up another plan as we can't now extend our stay in our temp apartment as everything has been booked out to conference attendees and the usual routes like stayz have come up empty handed so looks like the wife and kids are off to surfers paradise for 3 weeks till our container arrives

Left the deposit on a 100 series land cruiser so at least we will have a car on weds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.