Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ozzies weren't taught manners ?????

Ozzies weren't taught manners ?????

Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:33 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

You might hear directly from some Aboriginal people here:

Search the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Commission web site

For example:
Community Attitudes

Last edited by Megalania; Jan 14th 2004 at 9:47 am.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:38 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote from aforementioned website on employment status of aboriginals

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are the most disadvantaged identifiable group within Australian society. The unemployment rate for Indigenous people is an estimated 26 per cent, as against about 8 per cent for the general Australian community. (Without ATSIC’s CDEP scheme, which accounts for approximately one-quarter of Indigenous employment, the rate would be over 40 per cent.) Indigenous incomes are approximately two-thirds the Australian average.
direct link here
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:43 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
You might hear directly from some Aboriginal people here:

Search the Aboriginal and Torres Straight Commission web site

For example:
Community Attitudes
thankyou! Should've found something like that ages ago!
My dad actually worked for ATSIC once(that was when we were up north). But that's a whole other long story.....
And I don't ahve time! I should be working! I'm actually very busy, stupid forum! (ok, stupid me for having no discipline)

But, yes, I hadn't even mentioned the point about that it's not that many drink! There's heaps of aboriginals, but the ones YOU happen to see are "of course" the 'drunks'.
The rest is all working, or just living normal lives, but you don't comment about them! Everybody always only mentions the 'negatives' (which is normal I guess, but not fair)

It's all about generalisation and perception and communication. Like all problems of the world, and this forum too!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:46 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Just like to highlight this point, from the 2nd link:
The stereotyping of Aboriginal people as problem drinkers is exacerbated by the often public nature of Aboriginal drinking. Many aboriginal people either prefer, for cultural reasons, to drink outdoors or are forced to drink in public because of homelessness and/or the discriminatory attitudes of some licensees. This makes Aboriginal drinking and drinkers much more visible than their non-Indigenous counterparts.
You also often here people complaining about the aboriginals 'sitting around' in parks. But they forget that it also has to do with culture, they're always outside!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I guess all the benefits to the aboriginals is a bit of guilt thing and it is sure cheaper than giving them back all their land

An aside, competely irrelevant to this thread but I just thought of it and it is to do with benefits - there was a case in the paper over the weekend of a bus driver in England who worked 5 days a week. He was paying maintenance to his wife and children and with tax credits and maintenance he took home £120 per week. He discovered that if he went down to a 3 day week his maintenance payments were reduced and his tax credits went up so he would take home £170 per week. Guess what he did? Yep, he went down to a 3 day week!

The company which employs him is getting 150 bus drivers in from Malta in May (?) when it enters the EU and is laying off other drivers (they drive on the left there, speak a bit of English and are cheaper than the 'locals' in the UK).

OzTennis
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:55 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

However, researchers have refuted the ‘fire water theory’ which maintains that Aboriginal people are biologically less able to handle alcohol.
Ummm, because of my english, I'm not sure what this is actually saying??!

I think they are still saying the same that I said about that biologically they are less able to handle it.
Or are they saying the opposite?

Anyway, I could be wrong anyway, I'd heard about it a long time ago.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:02 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Meaning of the word: Refute

Refute

\Re*fute"\ (r?*F3t"), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Refuted; p. pr. & vb. n. Refuting.] [F. r['e]futer, L. refuteare to repel, refute. Cf. Confute, Refuse to deny.] To disprove and overthrow by argument, evidence, or countervailing proof; to prove to be false or erroneous; to confute; as, to refute arguments; to refute testimony; to refute opinions or theories; to refute a disputant.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 10:13 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Ok, thanks Meg
I was wrong then! Sorry about that folks.
Not that it actually changes most of the points I was trying to make.

I really should take the time to do more research on subjects like this, there's enough to find on the net, but I don't really have the time. Or when I do have the time, I can't be bothered....
Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:51 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

you realy do come across as a conceated self righteous arse the point is if we didnt invade rape & pilagae leave them with alegacy of alcaholism & mental health probs,regardless of where they came from orig,the aboriginals would of been just fine you wear your experiences & friendships like some kind of moral badge of understanding??? you are 1 of these people who are tolarent if things comply to your ideals.aspire to wat??your ideas of civilised western culture???surprised you didnt chase the whole thing back to africa where we all derive from.& isaid it was my opinion of atitudes towards all down troden indigeouness ppl & iam entitled to that!!! it is allso my opinion that you cant realy see past your own nose!!!wat a waste off intelligants,up yours plastic jesus!!!!
Sorry if I seem to come across as conceited or whatever. I`m just trying to say what I think.

Basically everyone should be treated the same... the rest of the conversation was erroneous, and responding to other`s comments.

As I said before, it amazes me that people who have never lived in a country can say anything about how life is or should be there.

I didn`t mention anything about drinking or mental health problems.... last time I checked those kind of things aren`t limited to black people.

Aboriginals would have been just fine, as you say, if Whites hadn`t invaded. But they did (as in North America and Africa), and no-one can change that. I don`t see any sense in going on and on and on about it... it happened, deal with it.

My ideals are only for everyone on earth to be fair and respectful of each other. Sadly it`s not going to happen, especially when too many people get the wrong end of the stick.

Civilised western culture? I`m afraid no cultures are civilised... it`s all a sham built around lies and politicians. We just try our best though. If I had the choice for one civilisation to be the benchmark it would probably be the Native American Indians. Nothing`s ever perfect though, and neither was their culture.

I don`t even remember your original post and wasn`t replying to you personally.

Sorry again if I came across in a bad way... didn`t mean to make you or anyone else lose their temper.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:02 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by Stormz
deal with it.
hmmmm, I would appreciate knowing how you think the aboriginals and the government and all Australians should be dealing with it?

You say no one can change it, but we can do something about it now, and I don't think it is wise just to forget about it!
Seems to me that's just avoiding it, and pretending there's nothing wrong!

Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:16 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

hmmmm, I would appreciate knowing how you think the aboriginals and the government and all Australians should be dealing with it?
Exactly as it is, by accepting it as something bad that happened in the past and not lying about it. It was disgusting, and typical of the White settlers of any nationality (especially the English though... repeating what they were doing in South Africa, North America, India etc). It is taught in schools so we don`t forget what happened in Tasmania. The Dutch did the same in South Africa (before the English got there) with the bushmen (Xhosa`s).

There has to be a point though where you deal with the past and move on with the future (together), instead of being bitter forever (which is why I mentioned the Romans and the Irish/Scottish..... how long can you keep a grudge for ???).

Don`t even get me started on the injustices caused by religion on indiginous populations.... even up till 30 years ago.
You say no one can change it, but we can do something about it now, and I don't think it is wise just to forget about it!
I don`t think I said we should forget about it (at least not literally).... just to deal with it. As I said above, the best thing we can do is learn from past mistakes, whoever did them. At least in Australia we are being honest with history, and not ignoring/glossing over it like in America with the Native Indians.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:38 pm
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Stormz
Aboriginals would have been just fine, as you say, if Whites hadn`t invaded. But they did (as in North America and Africa), and no-one can change that. I don`t see any sense in going on and on and on about it... it happened, deal with it.
I dispute this point. If the English hadn't have colonised Australia, the Japanese would have. If this were the case, do you think there would still be Aboriginies left today. (No disrespect to the Japanese intended. This is just the way it was).

Also, I dispute the prior comments about me being a racist. I believe in equal opportunity for everyone. I simply don't believe it is fair for two equal families, one Caucasian, and one Aboriginal to have equal income and circumstances, yet the Aboriginal family gets Abstudy for their kids that are at school, yet the Caucasion family doesn't. Each case needs to be looked at in an individual basis.

In regards to the drinking and hanging around in public places being a "Cultural Difference"... What am I supposed to do when I have to take a leap over the Urine or Vomit on our front door to get out? Just smile and think - oh well - they're just different to us? I can tell you certainly not. You think... "F***ing abos". The police are afraid to do anything about their public drinking because of fears of being labelled a racist.

Ok I'm ready for the onslaught again! :lecture:
Old Jan 14th 2004, 4:14 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by gavo
I dispute this point. If the English hadn't have colonised Australia, the Japanese would have. If this were the case, do you think there would still be Aboriginies left today. (No disrespect to the Japanese intended. This is just the way it was).

Also, I dispute the prior comments about me being a racist. I believe in equal opportunity for everyone. I simply don't believe it is fair for two equal families, one Caucasian, and one Aboriginal to have equal income and circumstances, yet the Aboriginal family gets Abstudy for their kids that are at school, yet the Caucasion family doesn't. Each case needs to be looked at in an individual basis.

In regards to the drinking and hanging around in public places being a "Cultural Difference"... What am I supposed to do when I have to take a leap over the Urine or Vomit on our front door to get out? Just smile and think - oh well - they're just different to us? I can tell you certainly not. You think... "F***ing abos". The police are afraid to do anything about their public drinking because of fears of being labelled a racist.

Ok I'm ready for the onslaught again! :lecture:
We have a friend down the coast from syd, a not too deireable area that she lives in, unfortunately, but as ya know syd house prices phewwwwwwwwww

anyway, shes really getting grief off a family next door, and for those that dont know, when aussies fall out, they fall out BIGTIME !!

This guy is of aboriginal descent, and aside from the threats and his dogs mutilating her cats, the local council and the police have done sod all..

now my inference is not the fact of his background or indeed that being the reason behind this reply, but she is very scared and lives in definate fear !!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 4:17 pm
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au

This guy is of aboriginal descent, and aside from the threats and his dogs mutilating her cats, the local council and the police have done sod all..
Police have done nothing??? Surprise Surprise...
Old Jan 14th 2004, 4:22 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Some things are the same all over then when it comes to the police and councils.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.