Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ozzies weren't taught manners ?????

Ozzies weren't taught manners ?????

Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ozzies weren't taught manners ?????

Originally posted by jandjuk
frankly no, aussies and kiwis aren't taught manners - at least not to the same extent the british are.

american influence is another reason for different usages.

wouldn't the then/than thing just be the accent?

Those poor Yanks getting the blame again......
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:54 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by renth
What, like immediately hanging up if the caller is Indian /Pakistani because they ring around for too many quotes for insurance?

Thus helping to ensure top salesman status for my mate in the call centre.
Is that in Oz or the UK?

Salesman hate time wasters as they get in the way of deals they could be closing. That works the same the world over.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:58 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Is that in Oz or the UK?

Salesman hate time wasters as they get in the way of deals they could be closing. That works the same the world over.
UK.

His speciality was hanging up on pople the moment he realised there wouldn't be much chance of a sale - the wanker.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:09 am

UK.

His speciality was hanging up on pople the moment he realised there wouldn't be much chance of a sale - the wanker.
Salesmen - wankers. What is the world coming to.

It is frustrating to be on the wrong side of the attitude. One thing that was notable was the politeness and openess of Australians on the other end of the line when I worked in call centres on the working holiday. A lot of people mentioned the pommie accent was a help.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by podgypossum
I have found the Aussies here to be far more polite than i'm used to elsewhere. Even the younger shop assistants will ask you how your day is going, talk about the weather and wish you a good day/weekend when you leave. Just because their manners are not expressed the same way ours are, doesnt mean they havent been taught any, just a different set.

My neice and her Hubby stayed with me for 6 months they really loved Canada. but she said one day "if anyone else tells me to have a nice day I'll scream.. another time she said..... "if this woman says hello how are you I'll scream"........
When I was in the UK in May I realized people dont want to talk.
It was always me who started chatting my niece said.. "Aunt Jeannie please dont say have a nice day" but you know it's hard I had to bite my lip it was just a response...... some might say brain washed.......
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:32 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine going back to the UK and saying "how ya goin" to strangers and getting completely blank responses. I think that Australia (or Brisbane at least) is a lot more laid back and friendly and I'd say the young 'uns seem very well mannered, schoolies even seen giving up bus seats to adults. However, if some trained checkout assistant asks me with complete indifference 'how's your day been so far' again I may be inclined to actually tell them.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 5:23 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Wow, so much action in a day... has taken me 10 mins to read all the new stuff.

Where do I begin?.....

Joem, I can understand what you mean, as me and my parents aren`t talking, yet my wife`s English parents are great..... but that`s an isolated case (I hope).... generally the English do hold grudges alot longer than Aussies imo. Anyway, well spotted, fair cop etc

Aboriginals:
- Aboriginals came to Australia @ 30,000 years ago, from New Guinea. You can`t go on and on about the past and it`s unfairness... otherwise the Welsh would still hate the Italians (Romans) for driving them out of England, and whatever is left of the Picts would still hate the Scottish for invading Scotland (as they are Irish originally)... yadda yadda yadda.
- If a society is to be a fair and democratic one, then everyone should be treated with equal respect. In Australia though it is reverse racism against anyone who isn`t Aboriginal (or 1/18th Aboriginal), as they get immense amounts of handouts, which imo is a bad thing not only for race relations, but also for the Aboriginals themselves, as why should they aspire to anything when they don`t need to work at all to live comfortably?
Everyone should be treated equally, no matter what colour/religion they are. If whites in Australia (or Britain etc) were given extra benefits over any other race then I would be equally vocal against it.
- Many Aboriginals still live in country in their traditional ways, but using what they want from western society. I have alot of respect for them, and agree with the posts that said we shouldn`t try to change them, and different attitudes/priorities etc.
- The Aboriginals in the cities seem to be outcasts from the Aboriginals in the country, due to most of them being of mixed race, or losing the way of their forefathers. I can understand it`s hard for them being rejected in many ways from 2 societies, but I believe a person is responsible for their own actions.... and quite a large percentage of city Aboriginals steal and make trouble (which makes people distrustful of Aboriginals on the whole, even though there are many who don`t cause trouble). If a serial killer has some mental problems, I also don`t think that excuses his killings. If the Aboriginals that made alot of trouble and stole in the city`s stopped acting that way, then life would be alot calmer in Australia and everyone could get along better.

Here`s to more Aboriginals like the ones who helped my wife when she had run out of petrol on a remote dark stretch of the Albany Highway.

How some people can comment on life in Australia with Aboriginals is beyond me if they`ve never been there to experience it.

btw before any over politically correct person calls me a racist... I`m probably the most anti-racist person in the world. I spent 6 years growing up in South Africa during Apartheid, and have scars from defending blacks against the `Dutchmen`. I had an aboriginal friend at high school in Aus. I have Pakistani, Black, Chinese and Indian friends here in the UK. I`m just about facts and fairness. I have to generalise though to explain what I mean.

Italians:
The thread was about bad manners, not what great things the Italians have done in Aus or anywhere else. To Illustrate: I had Italian friends at high school. Nearly all were 2nd gen Aussies as their grandparents/parents had come over from Italy in the 50`s. One girl`s family had come over more recently. The 50`s Italians were still heavily stuck in the ways of rural Italy from the 50`s.... they didn`t let their children have close relationships with anyone not of Italian origin.... practically on pain of death. Whereas the Italian girl who still went back to Italy for holidays had modern attitudes, the attitude of Italy today. I like Italians, I just don`t like some of the Italian`s who are stuck in WW2. There was one Italian girl.... we were in love, but she couldn`t see me after a while because her parent`s forbade it.... as I wasn`t Italian.... `the familia`.
Anyway, I was just trying to give a reason as to why some Aussie/Italians seem to have bad manners sometimes. But like I also said, you get dickheads in every country, from every background.

Sports Press:
- I hate to admit it, but whenever I`m in Oz it`s so OVER-patriotic to the point of insulting any team that isn`t Australian. I was ashamed to hear of the Aus radio station etc that encouraged the public to beep their horns etc outside the English rugby teams hotel, to try and keep them awake. Sickening. Martin Johnson had to walk back to the hotel the day of the victory and he was hoping for some smart-mouthed Aussies to give him the same stick the papers etc had.... but he said everyone congratulated him and he was quite surprised. In the UK they don`t generally put down the opposition in sport.... they only put down everyone in Britain.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by Stormz I was ashamed to hear of the Aus radio station etc that encouraged the public to beep their horns etc outside the English rugby teams hotel, to try and keep them awake. Sickening.
Imagine giving a single shock jock any credibility or suggesting their views are representative of what really happens.

But I digress. We had some young UK backpackers staying with us recently. They couldn't get over (and initially treated with suspicion) people who would come up to them in the street and start a conversation or make some other introductory comment. And this was in Sydney!

Travel to the "country" aka Katoomba in the Blue Mountains, as we did recently, and you don't just pop in to a shop to make a small purchase without setting aside about 10 minutes for a chat.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 5:56 am

Originally posted by Banksia
Imagine giving a single shock jock any credibility or suggesting their views are representative of what really happens.

But I digress. We had some young UK backpackers staying with us recently. They couldn't get over (and initially treated with suspicion) people who would come up to them in the street and start a conversation or make some other introductory comment. And this was in Sydney!

Travel to the "country" aka Katoomba in the Blue Mountains, as we did recently, and you don't just pop in to a shop to make a small purchase without setting aside about 10 minutes for a chat.
In Sydney it is a good idea to treat those people with suspicion. London, and to a lesser extent Sydney people are quieter because if everyone stopped for a chat nothing would get done.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 6:30 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Maybe you`re right.... maybe it was just a couple of the papers here going on about it too much, and my parents-in-law in Oz.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
Im still looking up the word TEMERITY
Form an orderly queue for the dictionary eh. Sorry about that - rashness or audacity.

OzTennis
Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you on this one Simone. You've lived with them and know what you are on about.

I can't believe that new immigrants to this country can arrive and start slagging aboriginals off, the original inhabitants of this country who were hunted like animals, to extinction in Tasmania.

It's bad enough listening to an Aussie spouting this shit, but a new immigrant doing it is the height of ignorance and back to the thread BAD MANNERS.

The fact that the life expectancy of an Aboriginal is about 20 years less than a white person is a national disgrace.

Did anyone see Kimberley cops on ABS last night? A white bloke owes his life to the Aboriginal trackers that located him after he broke his ankle in the bush.
Totally agree Renth, judging aboriginals by 'white'/Western standards is ludicrous. Truganini - last full blood aboriginal hunted to extinction in Tasmania in 1876 and just to show how they even took account of equal opportunities then she was a woman.

It seems to me a lot of 'whites' seek refuge in drugs and alcohol because they can't cope with their own culture - goodness knows what it must be like for the bulk of aboriginals. Just my feelings on this point FWIW.

OzTennis
Old Jan 14th 2004, 8:59 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

do aboriginals struggle with alcohol more than people from other races as they have some genetic difference that makes them more susceptible to the effects of alcohol. i dont know the answer and was wondering whether someone on here does.

understanding why they drink in the first place is crucial. they cant all be people that shun the western life. maybe some of them do want to work but just dont ever get the opportunity hence they spend their days at the bottom of a bottle. i have no idea but i would be interested to know how what the liklihood is of an aborinigal getting a job over a white person if the two canidates were equally qualified and educated. i would hazard a guess and would love to be proved wrong that it would be heavily weighted in favour of the white person.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:15 am
Banned

userjay will become famous soon enough
Default up yourself

Originally posted by Stormz
Wow, so much action in a day... has taken me 10 mins to read all the new stuff.

Where do I begin?.....

Joem, I can understand what you mean, as me and my parents aren`t talking, yet my wife`s English parents are great..... but that`s an isolated case (I hope).... generally the English do hold grudges alot longer than Aussies imo. Anyway, well spotted, fair cop etc

Aboriginals:
- Aboriginals came to Australia @ 30,000 years ago, from New Guinea. You can`t go on and on about the past and it`s unfairness... otherwise the Welsh would still hate the Italians (Romans) for driving them out of England, and whatever is left of the Picts would still hate the Scottish for invading Scotland (as they are Irish originally)... yadda yadda yadda.
- If a society is to be a fair and democratic one, then everyone should be treated with equal respect. In Australia though it is reverse racism against anyone who isn`t Aboriginal (or 1/18th Aboriginal), as they get immense amounts of handouts, which imo is a bad thing not only for race relations, but also for the Aboriginals themselves, as why should they aspire to anything when they don`t need to work at all to live comfortably?
Everyone should be treated equally, no matter what colour/religion they are. If whites in Australia (or Britain etc) were given extra benefits over any other race then I would be equally vocal against it.
- Many Aboriginals still live in country in their traditional ways, but using what they want from western society. I have alot of respect for them, and agree with the posts that said we shouldn`t try to change them, and different attitudes/priorities etc.
- The Aboriginals in the cities seem to be outcasts from the Aboriginals in the country, due to most of them being of mixed race, or losing the way of their forefathers. I can understand it`s hard for them being rejected in many ways from 2 societies, but I believe a person is responsible for their own actions.... and quite a large percentage of city Aboriginals steal and make trouble (which makes people distrustful of Aboriginals on the whole, even though there are many who don`t cause trouble). If a serial killer has some mental problems, I also don`t think that excuses his killings. If the Aboriginals that made alot of trouble and stole in the city`s stopped acting that way, then life would be alot calmer in Australia and everyone could get along better.

Here`s to more Aboriginals like the ones who helped my wife when she had run out of petrol on a remote dark stretch of the Albany Highway.

How some people can comment on life in Australia with Aboriginals is beyond me if they`ve never been there to experience it.

btw before any over politically correct person calls me a racist... I`m probably the most anti-racist person in the world. I spent 6 years growing up in South Africa during Apartheid, and have scars from defending blacks against the `Dutchmen`. I had an aboriginal friend at high school in Aus. I have Pakistani, Black, Chinese and Indian friends here in the UK. I`m just about facts and fairness. I have to generalise though to explain what I mean.

Italians:
The thread was about bad manners, not what great things the Italians have done in Aus or anywhere else. To Illustrate: I had Italian friends at high school. Nearly all were 2nd gen Aussies as their grandparents/parents had come over from Italy in the 50`s. One girl`s family had come over more recently. The 50`s Italians were still heavily stuck in the ways of rural Italy from the 50`s.... they didn`t let their children have close relationships with anyone not of Italian origin.... practically on pain of death. Whereas the Italian girl who still went back to Italy for holidays had modern attitudes, the attitude of Italy today. I like Italians, I just don`t like some of the Italian`s who are stuck in WW2. There was one Italian girl.... we were in love, but she couldn`t see me after a while because her parent`s forbade it.... as I wasn`t Italian.... `the familia`.
Anyway, I was just trying to give a reason as to why some Aussie/Italians seem to have bad manners sometimes. But like I also said, you get dickheads in every country, from every background.

Sports Press:
- I hate to admit it, but whenever I`m in Oz it`s so OVER-patriotic to the point of insulting any team that isn`t Australian. I was ashamed to hear of the Aus radio station etc that encouraged the public to beep their horns etc outside the English rugby teams hotel, to try and keep them awake. Sickening. Martin Johnson had to walk back to the hotel the day of the victory and he was hoping for some smart-mouthed Aussies to give him the same stick the papers etc had.... but he said everyone congratulated him and he was quite surprised. In the UK they don`t generally put down the opposition in sport.... they only put down everyone in Britain.
you realy do come across as a conceated self righteous arse the point is if we didnt invade rape & pilagae leave them with alegacy of alcaholism & mental health probs,regardless of where they came from orig,the aboriginals would of been just fine you wear your experiences & friendships like some kind of moral badge of understanding??? you are 1 of these people who are tolarent if things comply to your ideals.aspire to wat??your ideas of civilised western culture???surprised you didnt chase the whole thing back to africa where we all derive from.& isaid it was my opinion of atitudes towards all down troden indigeouness ppl & iam entitled to that!!! it is allso my opinion that you cant realy see past your own nose!!!wat a waste off intelligants,up yours plastic jesus!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:22 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
do aboriginals struggle with alcohol more than people from other races as they have some genetic difference that makes them more susceptible to the effects of alcohol. i dont know the answer and was wondering whether someone on here does.

understanding why they drink in the first place is crucial. they cant all be people that shun the western life. maybe some of them do want to work but just dont ever get the opportunity hence they spend their days at the bottom of a bottle. i have no idea but i would be interested to know how what the liklihood is of an aborinigal getting a job over a white person if the two canidates were equally qualified and educated. i would hazard a guess and would love to be proved wrong that it would be heavily weighted in favour of the white person.
We (western european etc) have been drinking alcohol for thousands of years, and our body is much more used to it than aboriginals who have only been introduced to it 200 or less years ago. So it has nothing to do with races but I guess evolution...

Of course the oppertunities for the "whites" to get a job are much higher. And there of course lies a very important point.

I think (I haven't studies this deeply or anything, am no expert) (and maybe agreeing on SOME points with Stormz) that maybe giving the aborginals the benefits isn't the best solution, but they certainly should get at least the same as other Australians for one, and maybe more if the government isn't doing anything else helpful for them (I'm 'sure' the governement must do something other than give them only benifits though, but have no idea about this all)
But if the government doesn't even admit that something terrible has happened in the past(and is still happening now) than how will the aboriginals ever be properly accepted as Australians and therefore have the same oppertunities. I'm afraid we're unfortunetly a long way from that yet.

Another long confusing post by me....
If somethings not clear please ask me to clarify.
I do not have the time to make the whole post clearer/longer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.