Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ozzies weren't taught manners ?????

Ozzies weren't taught manners ?????

Old Jan 13th 2004, 8:33 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

This is true. A lot of UK people are (perhaps unconsciously) just not going to do a demeaning job and that can also mean do the 'demeaning' parts of a customer service job (like saying friendly things to customers). Either you've got it or you haven't - a people-centric friendly attitude, that is.

I guess I'm typical middle class by upbringing but I got a lot of bad attitude rubbed off by working at various times when I was younger as labourer, shop boy (shoes - God, those smelly feet!), old people's home carer, barman/ pub mgr etc. I also worked in several countries where I was more or less the only Brit/ westerner - India, Middle East, Hong Kong, Central Europe.

That sure takes care of any misapprehension that you are better than anyone else on the planet.

Originally posted by jandjuk
well customer service and manners and two different things....

customer service & genuine friendliness in stores are near non existent in many parts of the UK (though I have found it in parts of Scotland). In NZ you would literally get the sack if you are not being friendly to customers, let alone ignoring them. One reason for this is the relative strength of the economies/popn density - in UK it doesn't matter if you lose a customer, they will be a 100 more along in 5 minutes - in NZ customers are highly valued.

also I believe due to the class culture many English people have a problem appearing subservient to others, and do not like to be seen bending over backwards to help others, as it does not maintain the image of their 'privileged' position in life. 'Being waited on hand and foot' - that type of thing....

hence the so called working classes don't like to be seen 'serving' the middle classes as that reinforces the system, and many upper or middle class people can't been seen to provide 'service' to the working classes. obviously a generalisation but if you open your eyes you will see it on a daily basis....

Just a viewpoint from a non-Brit which, unless you've lived in NZ or Oz you probably won't 'see'.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:18 pm
joem

Originally posted by Stormz
As an Aussie who has lived in the UK for the last 10 years, I hope I can make some observations,

Aussies also say things and don`t hold a grudge, eg if an Aussie is pissed off about something, he`ll say so at the first opportunity, and then he`ll forget about it and get on with his life. It`s not a personal thing... it`s just a statement of fact. In England, people REALLY hold grudges for centuries over the stupidest of things. My wife`s family in the UK are a perfect example of sections not speaking to the others for 40 years because of an argument way back when..... grow up pple.

From another post by Stormz-

My family we don`t talk to, as they didn`t bother coming to our wedding.

"My wife`s family is fantastic... very helpful and loving. And we think our kid deserves to have some grandparents around. We`d love to stay in the UK for alot of reasons (history, scenery, travel etc)"

Stormz you are full of bulldust mate

joem.

Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:30 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone82
Wow, and I didn't even mention The Lost/missing generation(s) yet!
Or even the fact that the brits considered Australia terra nutralis or something like that.
I'm with you on this one Simone. You've lived with them and know what you are on about.

I can't believe that new immigrants to this country can arrive and start slagging aboriginals off, the original inhabitants of this country who were hunted like animals, to extinction in Tasmania.

It's bad enough listening to an Aussie spouting this shit, but a new immigrant doing it is the height of ignorance and back to the thread BAD MANNERS.

The fact that the life expectancy of an Aboriginal is about 20 years less than a white person is a national disgrace.

Did anyone see Kimberley cops on ABS last night? A white bloke owes his life to the Aboriginal trackers that located him after he broke his ankle in the bush.
Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:34 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by renth
I can't believe that new immigrants to this country can arrive and start slagging aboriginals off...
Nothing's really changed then...
Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:39 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Renth and Luke here but being in Eastern Suburbs Sydney I am not exposed to Aboriginal society as much as elsewhere. The limited aboriginal exposure is usually a drunk.

How western society reconciles its culture and ambition to aboriginal ideals is beyond mere land and money.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

gwrees is an unknown quantity at this point

[I think the Aus media is disgusting when it comes to sports and stuff..... quite immature and derogatory. They let themselves down and don`t speak for a nation. The UK sports press are alot fairer, whereas the Aus press is very arrogant. Dissapoints me alot and I feel quite ashamed. [/QUOTE]

Hmm, The UK Sports Press are a lot fairer to who exactly? Which part of the UK?

Example..... The FIFA World Cup 2006 Qualifying Stages has a group which involves among others, 3 UK Teams, namely N Ireland, England and Wales. Now, when the draw was made, what was the report in all the papers and on the TV afterwards? Was it the fact that we have 3 UK Teams in one group and the excitement that could hold for the country, or that Wales and N Ireland were in Englands Group? Think about it. It might mean nothing to a lot of people but it did annoy me a bit when I read/heard about it.

I spent 4 weeks in Perth this time last year, my wife and I couldnt believe how friendly everyone was. Every barperson, waiter, waitress or anyone else working in the public eye that we met were very polite, friendly and informative. To be honest they wiped the floor with us all over here. Bit of a shock really. Can't wait to go back!
Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:18 am
joem

Originally posted by gwrees
[I think the Aus media is disgusting when it comes to sports and stuff..... quite immature and derogatory. They let themselves down and don`t speak for a nation. The UK sports press are alot fairer, whereas the Aus press is very arrogant. Dissapoints me alot and I feel quite ashamed.

Example..... The FIFA World Cup 2006 Qualifying Stages has a group which involves among others, 3 UK Teams, namely N Ireland, England and Wales. Now, when the draw was made, what was the report in all the papers and on the TV afterwards? Was it the fact that we have 3 UK Teams in one group and the excitement that could hold for the country, or that Wales and N Ireland were in Englands Group? Think about it. It might mean nothing to a lot of people but it did annoy me a bit when I read/heard about it.

I spent 4 weeks in Perth this time last year, my wife and I couldnt believe how friendly everyone was. Every barperson, waiter, waitress or anyone else working in the public eye that we met were very polite, friendly and informative. To be honest they wiped the floor with us all over here. Bit of a shock really. Can't wait to go back! [/QUOTE]

Yes they are an unfriendly lot in wales

joem

Old Jan 14th 2004, 12:28 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by joem

I spent 4 weeks in Perth this time last year, my wife and I couldnt believe how friendly everyone was. Every barperson, waiter, waitress or anyone else working in the public eye that we met were very polite, friendly and informative. To be honest they wiped the floor with us all over here. Bit of a shock really. Can't wait to go back!

joem [/QUOTE]

Unfriendly lot in wales ?
Perhaps you attract the unfriendly lot ??? where in wales did you live may I ask ?

Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:02 am
joem

Originally posted by Luke I Amyofath

joem
Unfriendly lot in wales ?
Perhaps you attract the unfriendly lot ??? where in wales did you live may I ask ?

[/QUOTE]

Keep your knickers on Mrs, I was only joking.

When I was living in London, I found the Welsh chamber maids working in hotels around Paddington very friendly

joem

Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

One thing I have noticed is the attitude of parents towards their children, I can't really explain it but I have yet to see an aussie parent yell and scream at their child in the way I often used to see in the UK (you know in the supermarket - "wait till I get you home you little ******, I'm gonna brain you). They seem to have so much patience and time for their children which is of course how it should be.

On holiday we were camped up next to this family with 3 kids under 4 and the Dad looked like a member of the coffin Cheeters, it was lovely listening to him telling the kids bedtime stories

There was a bit in our local yestrday about the rising levels of domestic violence in Perth. In our suburb alone there were 10 reported cases of Christmas:scared: - Some people obviously weren't happy with what Santa gave them.

Di
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:28 am

Originally posted by DianeOZ
One thing I have noticed is the attitude of parents towards their children, I can't really explain it but I have yet to see an aussie parent yell and scream at their child in the way I often used to see in the UK (you know in the supermarket - "wait till I get you home you little ******, I'm gonna brain you). They seem to have so much patience and time for their children which is of course how it should be.

On holiday we were camped up next to this family with 3 kids under 4 and the Dad looked like a member of the coffin Cheeters, it was lovely listening to him telling the kids bedtime stories

There was a bit in our local yestrday about the rising levels of domestic violence in Perth. In our suburb alone there were 10 reported cases of Christmas:scared: - Some people obviously weren't happy with what Santa gave them.

Di
In the moments of misfortune when I go into Parramatta Westfields I have witnessed plenty of parents verbally abusing their kids.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

My folks have just returned to the UK after 6 weeks travelling around OZ. - NSW, TAS and WA.

The thing that they were most impressed with was how helpful and happy and polite the people were, particularly the young people. People like waiters, people in hotel reception or in shops.

They said it made a refreshing change from the surlyness so often experienced in the UK
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:36 am

Is it admirable that Aussies accept low paid Mcjobs with better attitude? Personally I find the British cynicism very healthy. I have worked in call centres, pubs etc for low wages and the customer has got what they paid for.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:46 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by bondipom
Is it admirable that Aussies accept low paid Mcjobs with better attitude? Personally I find the British cynicism very healthy. I have worked in call centres, pubs etc for low wages and the customer has got what they paid for.
What, like immediately hanging up if the caller is Indian /Pakistani because they ring around for too many quotes for insurance?

Thus helping to ensure top salesman status for my mate in the call centre.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:50 am
Goodpubmisser

I think how shop assistants etc treat you is more to do with how you as a person come across to them.

I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago that when I used to go into a supermarket wearing a singlet and shorts in Melbourne they would always ask to "Search my bag". However when I went in to the same supermarket on the way back from work wearing a shirt and tie I never had my bag searched.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.