Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our items have arrived and something's MISSING!!!!

Our items have arrived and something's MISSING!!!!

Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Our items have arrived and something's MISSING!!!!

it don't fill ppl still in the UK with any cofidence in any mover . shame ppl can't do a job they are paid well to do .
i guess you have to make sure you are there when they pack and keep an inventory & even perhaps photo your collectables .

i don't know the process at your house , do they pack the container at your house and seal it there ? i ask this because the other week i see 2 small containers being packed outside someones house & they were the type that just lift off the trailer and on to the ship .

do they just fill the removal truck and then hand move it into a container elswhere ? obviously the more stops the greater chances of some " thieving B " nicking something .

S.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scott&rachel
it don't fill ppl still in the UK with any cofidence in any mover . shame ppl can't do a job they are paid well to do .
i guess you have to make sure you are there when they pack and keep an inventory & even perhaps photo your collectables .

i don't know the process at your house , do they pack the container at your house and seal it there ? i ask this because the other week i see 2 small containers being packed outside someones house & they were the type that just lift off the trailer and on to the ship .

do they just fill the removal truck and then hand move it into a container elswhere ? obviously the more stops the greater chances of some " thieving B " nicking something .

S.
I think it can be done in different ways - at our house the packers arrived in the morning with lots of empty boxes & filled them up and sealed them and loaded them in to a lorry. Each box was labelled with a number and recorded on the inventory with a vague description of the contents.
The packing took several days. Our things were kept in storage for a few weeks, then put in a container and sent on their way. So I suppose it is quite feasible that something could have 'got separated' from the main consignment. If it was an entire box then it would be clear that it was missing. If it was a few items from a box, then I don't think we'd be able to do anything about it. It's a bit of a gamble I suppose. Only way to be sure would be to supervise the packing very closely & have an extremely detailed inventory - and perhaps photograph anything especially precious before it is packed. It can be hard to supervise though if you are the only person there and there are two or three blokes packing! I gave up, hence our rubbish vague inventory.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by esperanza
I think it can be done in different ways - at our house the packers arrived in the morning with lots of empty boxes & filled them up and sealed them and loaded them in to a lorry. Each box was labelled with a number and recorded on the inventory with a vague description of the contents.
The packing took several days. Our things were kept in storage for a few weeks, then put in a container and sent on their way. So I suppose it is quite feasible that something could have 'got separated' from the main consignment. If it was an entire box then it would be clear that it was missing. If it was a few items from a box, then I don't think we'd be able to do anything about it. It's a bit of a gamble I suppose. Only way to be sure would be to supervise the packing very closely & have an extremely detailed inventory - and perhaps photograph anything especially precious before it is packed. It can be hard to supervise though if you are the only person there and there are two or three blokes packing! I gave up, hence our rubbish vague inventory.
The problem with my shipment was the packers were dyslexic with numbers. Yes they were very thorough, yes they were very careful. Problem was that when they went home that night and then came back, they started numbering boxes from 70. Unfortunately, the day before they finished at 79. I therefore had double ups with numbers. Not so bad some of you might think but some clever bugger decided to renumber them when they came off the truck and went on the container. He didn't change the inventory.

When the truck turned up here, I felt like crying as the driver just said the whole thing had been a mess and he didn't have a clue what was on board. Luckily it didn't take me long to realise what had happened so was able to check things off. I had 2 x number 73. one was the tv and he other was bed parts. Guess which one turned up. Probably thought they would see how long (if ever) it took me. Thing is a tv that size was the first thing I noticed missing. Everything else was perfect and unbroken so all in all a great move. Could have saved me a few bucks if they just admitted their mistake straight away tho.

Debs
Old Mar 14th 2007, 2:00 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I am now really worried am just in the process of getting this sorted but am taking lots of furniture with me.

I have some very precious valuable antiques inherited and with lots of sentimental value. Having heard all your stories I think I shall store them in my mothers attic and gradually get them brought over in hand luggage a piece at a time. do you think this would work, or should I just give my sons their inheritance now?

don't think they would appreciate 16th and 17th century china though!!

Kim