Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OMG- What now? Do i stay or do i go??

OMG- What now? Do i stay or do i go??

Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all
Default Re: OMG- What now? Do i stay or do i go??

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
My first insinct when I read this was much the same as everyone else, but thinking about it some more, I would say go and start your new life.

Its not fair of your ex to change the goalposts like that. If it is something you have set your mind on and are excited about, it is so unfair of him to call it off on his end, just because a new bit of skirt has come on the scene.

I know it is unfair to split a family up, but for him to get your hopes up like that and then bring them crashing down is a horrible thing to do.

My opinion may sound a bit extreme, but I hate it when people muck others around.

Best of luck to you, I dont envy the decision you have to make.

Claire
xxx

Thanks Claire
I see where everyone is coming from about the validation, i just feel a bit like its now or never. A validation trip would really eat into my funds and saving it back up would take me YEARS(only work part time). Also a little concerned that the more time passes the less likely i will be to actually do it I also need to make a firm decision for my daughters sake, obviously she has had 14 months of being hyped up for this and dont want to mess her around any more than he already has (the b**tard)
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:15 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you need to stop thinking about what your ex wants and seriously talk to your daughter about what she wants.

Bummer though just the same...
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:21 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Go and validate with your daughter, tell your ex your plan is to carry on and go anyway, he may re-think his position once he knows how far away you will both be.

Nasty thought - but he has only known this new g/friend a few months and maybe has just a little besotted and his judgement is being clouded at the mo.

Best of luck to you and your daughter

Carole
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:26 pm
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

It's a tough call, but seeing as he wanted to change the goalposts anyway, I'd say stick it to him and go, if not for you for your daughter. She will have a better life than she will get over here, which is why we are doing it, for the sake of our daughter.
At least if you give it a go and fail you can still say you tried!

Best of luck with a very tough decision.

Last edited by TheRossers; Apr 13th 2005 at 3:17 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:32 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

I am so sorry - what a nightmare for you In my opionion, for what it's worth, I would do what you always wanted to do - go to Oz. As long as your daughter is still excited about it and wants to go to. You cant base your life on other people and do what other people expect of you - you have a right to do what is best for you and your daughter. If you stay you will probably end up hating your ex because he would be your reason for staying. If you go and it doesn't work out you can come back but if you don't do you will always wonder.
Also I would have to question your ex's decision - to be blunt it looks like he is choosing a new girlfriend over his daughter, and you may be right - you might find it doesn't work out for him and he will follow you over to oz later.
Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best.
Carolyn.
Wanted to send you some karma but all out of it for today!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

tommytriggs has a spectacular aura abouttommytriggs has a spectacular aura abouttommytriggs has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by desperate2go
Yes i can go without him as it was skilled independant and during the process i got a signed declaration from him giving me his permission to take her.
What is the longest period that someone can travel on a holiday visa? Anyone know?
holiday visas 6 munfs....take me wiv ya...
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Hello

I think you should go, definately, from the sounds of things you sound like you want to but just need some reassurance.

I think you would regret it later if you didnt, but good luck whatever you decide.

Laura
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:38 pm
Wannabee Queenslander

badri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant future

Thanks Claire
I see where everyone is coming from about the validation, i just feel a bit like its now or never. A validation trip would really eat into my funds and saving it back up would take me YEARS(only work part time). Also a little concerned that the more time passes the less likely i will be to actually do it I also need to make a firm decision for my daughters sake, obviously she has had 14 months of being hyped up for this and dont want to mess her around any more than he already has (the b**tard)
Hi Rach,

What are friends for if you can't depend on them when you need.

I know it will eat your funds. But if you validate your visa atleast it gives you and your daughter a feeling that the whole australia thing hasn't disappeared.

When you are back try hard to save money and then when you are ready take the ride back to downunder.

Its not fair that things go like but be strong and make decision with you and your daughter in mind.

cheers
Badri
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tommytriggs
holiday visas 6 munfs....take me wiv ya...
Everyone welcome!! Must be - Good with kids, excellent cook, great sense of humour, loads of money!!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:52 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me I would GO FOR IT you obviously have been through all the should we shouldn't we's. It seems as if your ex is thinking only of himself as far as this is concerned because like you say he can come and go as he pleases.... you will not have this choice unless you make your choice now and I'm sure he will go home at some point.... I wouldn't want to be left with regrets.

At the end of the day tho thats what I would do .....you must only do what you think is right for you and your daughter.....good luck with whatever you decide
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:56 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

He's messed you about once, he's likely to do it again .

Definitely validate.

If you don't then he may really mess you up by going to Australia after your visa has expired.

As others have said do what you and your daughter want to do. Stop thinking about how it may impact him. He clearly hasn't thought and doesn't appear to care how his actions affect you and your daughter.

All the best for what ever you decide.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 2:58 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone welcome!! Must be - Good with kids, excellent cook, great sense of humour, loads of money!!
You can go for up to one year on a holiday visa, but must leave Aus at least every 3 months and re-enter. Odd rule, but there you go...

This is the kind of crap that can happen out of the blue, but try not to let it sidetrack your plans, however upset you may be. As others say, validate your visa and then you have time to make a final decision.

Good luck and much karma!
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:01 pm
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Havent been on for a while as i just havent been able to face it.Blanking it all out and getting blind drunk seems to have been the preferable option of late...but im over that now
Got THE EMAIL a few days ago to say i have my visa so it should be big smiles and plenty of celebrating.............but lifes never that simple is it!
For those that dont know my situation i will do a quick recap.
My ex is Australian, my daughter(7) has citizenship by descent so it was just me applying for a visa. Dan(the ex) had always wanted to return & i put up with many years of....better place to bring up kids, better lifestyle etc etc, but as we were split he felt he was stuck in UK if he wanted to be near our daughter.
Xmas 2003 i went over there with him and my daughter and decided he had been right. So after much discussion i went for the visa and the rollercoaster ride of emotions (that we are all too familiar with) that go with it. I began the application process in January 2004. In March this year i went round to discuss arrangements for moving with my ex ( We were not going to be together but were going to support each other and share accomodation until our container of stuff arrived) He seemed unenthusiastic but then he is never one for great displays of any emotion so i wasnt too concerned...I did ask him he he was having second thoughts and he said no.
2 days later i got a call at 7am asking if I would mind if he took somebody else ....this turns out to be his girlfriend of 3/4 months. My immediate reaction was no, i did not want to change all my plans and he was being unfair.Over the next few days i was devastated and so was my daughter who felt extremely confused and upset as she had been looking forward to going so much and knew nothing about the girlfriend.
Any way after those few days he called and told me he would not be going anymore as he was going to stay here with his girlfriend.

So theres my predicament...within 3 weeks of that bombshell i received my visa. So instead of being excited and happy i am left feeling confused and upset.
Do i still go?? To be honest the thought of doing it all completely single handed is quite terrifying and added to that the burden of guilt of taking my daughter away from her father makes it seem even worse OR
Do i stay?? I will probably spend the rest of my life wondering what if...plus my daughter has no guarantees that her Dad will stay in this country for ever, as he has dual nationality and can come and go as he pleases. Which would really be the icing on the cake if i stay and he decides to go back in a few years anyway!

So people ...what do you think??? Should i stay or should i go now????
I need opinions....but PLEASE all you trolls dont be too hard...Im still feeling a bit delicate

Rachelx
Hi Rachel, I am really sorry to hear of your plans being messed up. If I were in your shoes I would still go. I understand it is a really hard decision for you to make but you have to think what is best for you and your daughter. The way I see it is, your ex has broken all of the plans that you had and that isnt your fault. He may still go with you when he realizes you are going for good. Plus he is still on the honeymoon period with his girlfriend at the moment so takie it all one day at a time. I think if you dont go you will always think "what if". The worst thing that can happen is that you dont like it and you have to come home, its not the end of the world. What do you and your daughter really want to do deep down??

I hope everything works out for you and I wish you all of the luck in the world.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Hi there

What a dilemma! I think you have to narrow it down to the choices that are available to you:-

1. Go to validate your visa and then return to UK for good
2. Go to validate visa and return to UK with possibility of returning to Oz
within 5 years.
3. Go to Oz, stay for 2 years, get citizenship and return to UK
4. Go to Oz, get citizenship and stay
5. Stay in UK

It would be just such a shame to throw the visa away without even giving Australia a chance. I know it must be a real scary thought going it alone but you will have your daughter, and children do give us the strength and determination to succeed (honestly).

You know we will all be eagerly awaiting your decision. Good luck to you and I hope you are happy in the decision that you choose.

Theresa

PS I will send you karma.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 3:08 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

You poor thing!

Please remember this forum is mostly biased, because everyone is wanting to move there, and also are nearly all going as a family.
And the ones who are not, are often doing it for the adventure.

The question is if adventure is what you(or your daughter) needs right now. Such big changes... Migration is a huge step.

And Australia isn't always necessarily a better life for you or your daughter, though most (who haven't moved yet especially) are biased on that side of things to I believe.

Good luck. I would also say validate, but the money side makes that not an easy decision either.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.