Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

JoandPaulW is a jewel in the roughJoandPaulW is a jewel in the roughJoandPaulW is a jewel in the roughJoandPaulW is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

hi all

just wondering about wages for carpenters in sydney and brisbane??? will it be east for my OH to find work?? are there a lot of building sites etc.. over there?

jo
Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

ammo is just really niceammo is just really niceammo is just really niceammo is just really niceammo is just really niceammo is just really niceammo is just really niceammo is just really niceammo is just really niceammo is just really niceammo is just really nice

Hi can anyone help i am trying to get a bricklaying job on a sponsor to perth
for at least a year does anyone now any good job pages i now astonman can help but he as limited internet time at the mo so i am hoping there are others on here who may help
Ammo
Old Dec 12th 2007, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

krestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant future

hi
we are a couple hoping to come to oz to travel, see family and work on a working holiday visa from june 08.
we will want to do a range of work to supplement extra travel etc.

wondered if u cud advise on the hourly/weekly wage for the following (roughly)

customer service/call centre
pub/bar
private language tuition (japanese)
service desk/help desk analyst

any other jobs which u cud recomend?

cheers
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:27 am
Just Joined

ThomThom is an unknown quantity at this point

i am approahing the end of my visa apps and am curious to know how and when a LAFHA is calculated. it does say on my contract that i get one but nothing as yet has been specified by my employer. does anyone know ruffly how much your entitled too? and also how it is actually calculated? if it helps - my job is in recruitent and based in sydney - i know its kind of based on extra expences of LAFH but at present im living at home paying no rent as im saving - would that matter???

thanks guys, any help much appreciated
Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ThomThom
i am approahing the end of my visa apps and am curious to know how and when a LAFHA is calculated. it does say on my contract that i get one but nothing as yet has been specified by my employer. does anyone know ruffly how much your entitled too? and also how it is actually calculated? if it helps - my job is in recruitent and based in sydney - i know its kind of based on extra expences of LAFH but at present im living at home paying no rent as im saving - would that matter???

thanks guys, any help much appreciated
Graduate trainee geologist in Sydney, (I graduate this May) and offered $82k, which i am very happy with. Especially as i get 5 months off per year!
Old Dec 15th 2007, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

missybpink is an unknown quantity at this point

hi does anyone know what kind of wage my hubby would get he is a time served plater/fabricator also got c&g for welding he wants to go for boatbuilding but if anyone has any oher ideas we are heading for perth area thank you
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

jaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nice

looking for work in redcliffe/brisbane area.(wife starts as nurse there in june time although could come earlier).i have my articulated truck license (c+e) but been a domestic+commercial tiler/builder for years. i usually charge £25 per mtr(homers) here in uk depending on problematic various factors but interested in whats available in oz as i can do most building/shopfitting stuff...(no trade papers unfortunately. ) but willing to compromise on money for quality of life/job ! (far more important to me) [email protected] is my email address. (age 36)
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:00 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Just wondering about the cost of living. My husband is a photocopier engineer and most of the sites I've seen say he'll be able to earn about 50Kdollars. This seems quite low when we convert but should be okay with the reduced cost of living.

We need to take out a mortgage too about 400Kdollars. How much money would we need to set aside per week for a family of 5?
Old Dec 16th 2007, 10:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Gal
Just wondering about the cost of living. My husband is a photocopier engineer and most of the sites I've seen say he'll be able to earn about 50Kdollars. This seems quite low when we convert but should be okay with the reduced cost of living.

We need to take out a mortgage too about 400Kdollars. How much money would we need to set aside per week for a family of 5?
A $400k mortgage on a $50k income would be impossible to manage. You would need a minimum (and I mean minimum) $80k household income to have any kind of quality of life. COL is similar here to the UK.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A $400k mortgage on a $50k income would be impossible to manage. You would need a minimum (and I mean minimum) $80k household income to have any kind of quality of life. COL is similar here to the UK.

I agree. A family of 5 with a $400k mortgage would not survive well on $50k, even with Family Tax Benefit on top it would be a struggle.

A $400k mortage would be approx $650 per week, wage would be approx $750 - 780 per week.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:10 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all
Smile Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Thanks for that. Its really hard totting up the sums here before we go. Luckily we will have money from the sale of our house to get us started. Looks like I'll have to get a part time job - or move further out of the melbourne suburbs!

By the way, (sorry for all the questions in advance) but what kind of percentage should I be looking to keep for the mortgage and bills. Currently we put aside 25% for the mortgage out of what we earn. Is this about the same for Oz?

I'm living in Euroland (Ireland) where the cost of living is scandalous!
Thanks for all your help!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Its really hard totting up the sums here before we go. Luckily we will have money from the sale of our house to get us started. Looks like I'll have to get a part time job - or move further out of the melbourne suburbs!

By the way, (sorry for all the questions in advance) but what kind of percentage should I be looking to keep for the mortgage and bills. Currently we put aside 25% for the mortgage out of what we earn. Is this about the same for Oz?

I'm living in Euroland (Ireland) where the cost of living is scandalous!
Thanks for all your help!
I currently budget around 60% of my OH's wage on bills - that's everything including food, insurances etc. Our mortgage is about 40% of that as borrowed 95%. Although I do think the COL is a bit cheaper in South Australia as the house prices are much lower in most parts as opposed to Melbourne.

We manage just fine on what's left and can save up between $250 and $500 a month (when we're not doing the house up that is ).
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:33 am
Oh, George.....

Smile Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by Wendy
I currently budget around 60% of my OH's wage on bills - that's everything including food, insurances etc. Our mortgage is about 40% of that as borrowed 95%. Although I do think the COL is a bit cheaper in South Australia as the house prices are much lower in most parts as opposed to Melbourne.

We manage just fine on what's left and can save up between $250 and $500 a month (when we're not doing the house up that is ).
Thanks for that Wendy. It really helps. I assume he is the only wage earner (See how I was careful not to say worker.

My sister wants us to move as close as we can to her but the house prices are crazy. She's been there 10 years and I want to be able to live somewhere where only my OH has to work .

We are currently looking at a mortgage for about 300 thousand. How much are the repayments on that? Also, someone mentioned Family Tax Benefit? What is that? Apologies for all the questions....
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for that Wendy. It really helps. I assume he is the only wage earner (See how I was careful not to say worker.

My sister wants us to move as close as we can to her but the house prices are crazy. She's been there 10 years and I want to be able to live somewhere where only my OH has to work .

We are currently looking at a mortgage for about 300 thousand. How much are the repayments on that? Also, someone mentioned Family Tax Benefit? What is that? Apologies for all the questions....
There's a mortgage calculator here: http://www.yourmortgage.com.au/calcu...asic/index.cfm It's coming out at $496 per week. Obviously the repayments are only an estimate, but it gives you an idea.

Family Tax Benefit is payable to PR visa holders from the time they arrive in Australia. It is means tested though, so how much you earn determines how much you get. Here is the link http://myaccount.centrelink.gov.au/w...h0bQ!!#7_0_6IF

You can also get this if you are on a single income and it's low. http://myaccount.centrelink.gov.au/w...5odG0!#7_0_6IF

Also if you are renting you are entitled to Rent Assistance, but only if you claim FTB fortnightly. (FTB can be claimed in a lump sum at the end of the tax year).
Old Dec 17th 2007, 8:47 am
Oh, George.....

Thumbs up Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

What a star! This is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you SO much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.