Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nursing in Australia.

Nursing in Australia.

Old Oct 6th 2012, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Nursing in Australia.

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Lets hope so, any nurses views would be great good or bad.
Try the nursing part of the forum........ there is heaps of info on there its under employment I think
Old Oct 6th 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing in Australia.

Well, as it's 6 years since I worked in the UK I can't make a totally valid comparison in relation to how things are in nursing there now after the GFC, however, I still say I prefer UK nursing for many reasons. I expect it might also depend on the area of speciality as to how similar or different/better or worse things are.

I work in mental health and services are almost third world in QLD compared to the UK and, I am told by colleagues, even other states in Australia.

Many other things frustrate me about nursing here and I could rant on and on.

There are so many variables to compare for such a generalised question. What was your wife wanting to know?
Old Oct 6th 2012, 10:27 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kitty4
Well, as it's 6 years since I worked in the UK I can't make a totally valid comparison in relation to how things are in nursing there now after the GFC, however, I still say I prefer UK nursing for many reasons. I expect it might also depend on the area of speciality as to how similar or different/better or worse things are.

I work in mental health and services are almost third world in QLD compared to the UK and, I am told by colleagues, even other states in Australia.

Many other things frustrate me about nursing here and I could rant on and on.

There are so many variables to compare for such a generalised question. What was your wife wanting to know?

I have heard this said about mental health nursing before, I think what I am getting at for my wife's situation, as a medical nurse, is the continuous hard graft all day long, no let up, not enough time to give one to one patient care.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard this said about mental health nursing before, I think what I am getting at for my wife's situation, as a medical nurse, is the continuous hard graft all day long, no let up, not enough time to give one to one patient care.
OK, I see what you're asking
I have tried a bit of medical/surgical nursing here and a few shifts in emergency, also aged care. Both private and public hospitals, also community/general practice. Needed to broaden my options when I got to Aus as where I live, there are few jobs in mental health nursing, it is very competitive.
In my experience, there is no let up, continuous hard graft all day long, not enough time etc in the hospitals. Add to the fact that there are usually no nursing assistants/health care support workers and you might have several very dependent patients allocated to you alone, to shower, toilet, feed etc, all on top of what registered nurses have to do, I personally found it very hard, but then, my general nursing experience in hospitals is very limited, so someone who has been in the game for years might disagree with me. In my experience though, it is hard going on everyone, no matter where you trained or worked before.
I take my hat off to medical/surgical nurses here, I haven't got the stamina!!!
Old Oct 7th 2012, 12:10 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is an NHS Nurse, one of her friends has returned from Oz as a registered nurse and the experiences her friend had appear not to be good, but then again that is the OBSERVATION of ONE PERSON.....

She hated it, no support from her peers, very self centred, felt very deflated and undervalued and the whole system sucked. She worked in Intensive Care and while other nurses around her had fairly easy patients and she had a difficult one to deal with, no one would assist her, unlike here where support appears the norm. In other words there appears to be more of a conscience to make it work here.

This person is not a lilly liver, she's confident, secure in her profession, maybe thats a reason she has her experiences....

I'd be in Oz in a shot, my other half is not so sure. So I have to stay put, as making my other half feel shite in another country isn't worth the hassle, just have to make do with holidays there.

Besides, things ain't that bad here, over there same shite, different bouquet.......
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:14 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kitty4
OK, I see what you're asking
I have tried a bit of medical/surgical nursing here and a few shifts in emergency, also aged care. Both private and public hospitals, also community/general practice. Needed to broaden my options when I got to Aus as where I live, there are few jobs in mental health nursing, it is very competitive.
In my experience, there is no let up, continuous hard graft all day long, not enough time etc in the hospitals. Add to the fact that there are usually no nursing assistants/health care support workers and you might have several very dependent patients allocated to you alone, to shower, toilet, feed etc, all on top of what registered nurses have to do, I personally found it very hard, but then, my general nursing experience in hospitals is very limited, so someone who has been in the game for years might disagree with me. In my experience though, it is hard going on everyone, no matter where you trained or worked before.
I take my hat off to medical/surgical nurses here, I haven't got the stamina!!!
Cheers for that, the wife's cousins and the other nurses she is in contact in Australia say the nurse ratio to patient Is a little better there compared to the UK and they feel they can have more patient time.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by russmcp
My OH is an NHS Nurse, one of her friends has returned from Oz as a registered nurse and the experiences her friend had appear not to be good, but then again that is the OBSERVATION of ONE PERSON.....

She hated it, no support from her peers, very self centred, felt very deflated and undervalued and the whole system sucked. She worked in Intensive Care and while other nurses around her had fairly easy patients and she had a difficult one to deal with, no one would assist her, unlike here where support appears the norm. In other words there appears to be more of a conscience to make it work here.

This person is not a lilly liver, she's confident, secure in her profession, maybe thats a reason she has her experiences....

I'd be in Oz in a shot, my other half is not so sure. So I have to stay put, as making my other half feel shite in another country isn't worth the hassle, just have to make do with holidays there.

Besides, things ain't that bad here, over there same shite, different bouquet.......

It doesn't sound much different, but like I said in my post above, my wife is very frustrated here in the UK because she can give little time to patients, due to the heavy workload and how many patients she s caring for. Thanks for your input.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that, the wife's cousins and the other nurses she is in contact in Australia say the nurse ratio to patient Is a little better there compared to the UK and they feel they can have more patient time.
Not in my experience.....but you will believe who you choose to
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:25 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

My feeling is, having read many of your posts, and this is just an observation, that if 10 people tell you it is absolutely no different in Australia and one tells you it is so much better you would go with that one persons view. That is of course totally understandable as you are moving that way and wont it to be a positive move.
We lived opposite a surgical nurse in Brisbane, she hated the 'system' and mindset that existed. I cant comment other than that. In all honesty I dont think you will notice much difference, both overworked and underpaid but it will be warmer
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by chris955
My feeling is, having read many of your posts, and this is just an observation, that if 10 people tell you it is absolutely no different in Australia and one tells you it is so much better you would go with that one persons view. That is of course totally understandable as you are moving that way and wont it to be a positive move.
We lived opposite a surgical nurse in Brisbane, she hated the 'system' and mindset that existed. I cant comment other than that. In all honesty I dont think you will notice much difference, both overworked and underpaid but it will be warmer
So far a couple of people on here, one with limited experience, the other in a different area have said its not so great, the wife's cousins and several other nurses told her it was slightly better in her area of nursing. The wage is good in both countries.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:33 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Just saying it as I see it
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

So far a couple of people on here, one with limited experience, the other in a different area have said its not so great, the wife's cousins and several other nurses told her it was slightly better in her area of nursing. The wage is good in both countries.
My opinion doesn't count then?

I have a huge amount of experience and have worked in a number of hospitals.

As I said.....you will believe whoever givesyou the version you want.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Grayling
My opinion doesn't count then?

I have a huge amount of experience and have worked in a number of hospitals.

As I said.....you will believe whoever givesyou the version you want.

You need to let it go, you have made it clear you hate everything about Australia, so no one can take anything you say seriously.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:38 am
Bitter and twisted

You need to let it go, you have made it clear you hate everything about Australia, so no one can take anything you say seriously.
I don't hate everything about Australia.....you are being a bit silly now.

Where have I said I hate it?

Shoot the messenger always works doesn't it?

That or stick your fingers in your ear and sing 'lalalala'
Old Oct 7th 2012, 8:39 am
Banned

If you want to go to Australia just do it, dont try to get others to validate the decision for you. It seems clear that as far as nursing goes it will be same shit (literally) in a different bucket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.