Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New speeding camera's!

New speeding camera's!

Old Jan 11th 2013, 12:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New speeding camera's!

I don't see much difference in driving standards between both countries (go to SA, Italy, China etc if you want to see genuinely bad driving), but UK drivers are definitely more courteous.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't see much difference in driving standards between both countries (go to SA, Italy, China etc if you want to see genuinely bad driving), but UK drivers are definitely more courteous.
Being courteous makes all the difference
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Being courteous makes all the difference
It makes a difference but is not everything. UK is the exception and not the rule with this.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

It makes a difference but is not everything. UK is the exception and not the rule with this.
I disagree. If all drivers drove whilst being couteous of other road users all the time, there would be no problem here or in any country. There would still be mistakes but far far less deaths and less road rage.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

I disagree. If all drivers drove whilst being couteous of other road users all the time, there would be no problem here or in any country. There would still be mistakes but far far less deaths and less road rage.
disagree
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

<snip>
Whoa, easy there hoss

Where did this come from?

I can't respond as I am in enough trouble on here, but needless to say that if I posted what you have just posted I would be smashed by the mods

chill
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

It was a joke. Thought it was funny.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:36 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
If signs state keep (completely) left on a particular road then those take precedence over the general road rule.

Is it completely left or just keeping the right lane clear? I wish we could hit 130.
Gets complicated doesn't it. Okay up to and including 80 kph in Vic, on a dual carriageway, you can use either lane at any time.

Above that, one is supposed only to use the right lane for overtaking. This is further complicated by the fact that some (not many) dual carriageways above 80 kph still have right turns in them, so obviously one has to get in the right lane to turn right.

While I'm here, the correct terminology in the UK for lanes on a motorway or dual carriageway is Lane 1, 2, 3 etc, going from left to right.

Just to confuse even more, around here anyway, a dual carriageway is referred to as a divided highway.

A dual carriageway here means a single track road with one lane in each direction because, there are quite a few single width roads with traffic in both directions! And a run off on both sides should you meet a vehicle coming towards you.

I think.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:40 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hence the smiley you added ...
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Hence the smiley you added ...
I've given up smileys as part of a New Years Resolution. The other part was the have an 'in your face' sense of homour, you clown faced muppet.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

It wasn't. I usually fight fire with a flamethrower but can't this time as I'm in the sin bin.

Next time though........
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

It wasn't. I usually fight fire with a flamethrower but can't this time as I'm in the sin bin.

Next time though........
No worries <snip>

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 17th 2013 at 5:13 pm. Reason: cut it out
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:49 am
Account Closed

I've given up smileys as part of a New Years Resolution. The other part was the have an 'in your face' sense of homour, you clown faced muppet.
I see.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 1:57 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

No worries fart head
Enough. Thank you.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 2:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by martin1978
I was talking about the driving at 90mph and thinking that was ok.
Trust me, unless things have changed big time in 5 years it's the norm in rush hour.

I returned to London in 2008 to make some money. I rented a London taxi and away I went. I picked it up at 5.30pm and drove from Cricklewood NW2 to Watford to see me old house.

I was in the 'overtaking' lane for the duration of the motorway journey, and you had the 70mph brigade in the left, the 80 odd in the middle, and the 90 lot in the 'overtaking' lane. Simply 3 lanes all doing diff speeds.

A shaky pic (a cab remember) but this was from that day...

I drove this trip in and out of London every day, as well as frequenting ALL motorways in and out of London.

Cab does 100 flat out and at night *I* kept left as once the motorway opened up, so did the speeds. NOT everyone, but plenty of people would overtake me doin me measly 100mph.

true fact.

Biggest gripe for me here is the not keeping left. If *I* want to do 120kph then that's MY prerogative. It's ME that gets nicked, the fine and the points. Don't just sit there and think 'speed limit is 110kph, I'm doin 110kph so I'm going nowhere!' as I'm sure some think. Others just have the fright of their lives when they look into the rear view mirror for the first time in prob an hour to see a car up their ass, and quickly move over.

It's just not hard! 2 second rule and keep left and the place will run so smooth.

Instead it's be over protective with the 10 foot in front of you (can't let anyone in!!!!!!!) and just keep right unless overtaking.

A few Aussie mates (Sydney boys originally) say it's the ****head QLD drivers, but I've been a few hundred k's into NSW and see NO difference. Can't talk for anywhere else tho, but would hazard a guess that it's the same everywhere.

I've asked work to put me on 'all day' jobs so I can just drive there, spend the day, and drive home. I currently drive for 4+ hours per day doing service calls and am struggling with the stupidity on the roads and can't do it no more ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.