Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New speeding camera's!

New speeding camera's!

Old Jan 10th 2013, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New speeding camera's!

Originally Posted by chris955
The average speeds here are so much higher and so much safer, 80 + on motorways is the norm. I just dont see the revenue cameras here like in Australia.
I did the same in Australia, sit in the left lane and get where you are going faster than the numpties in the 'faster' lanes
It took a little while to get back into doing things properly here.
The keeping left in Australia wont happen as it isnt enforced and just sitting in any lane is ingrained in drivers now. I just wish the Police in Australia would be honest and admit the obsession with speed is all about revenue raising.
Just for the record it is not a road rule or law to keep left in Australia. The rule is to keep only the Right Most Lane clear if the speed limit is 90kph or more.

Watch the video at the bottom of the page in the link.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Que...ping-left.aspx
Old Jan 10th 2013, 7:58 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

My point is that keeping right isnt enforced, why bother having signs telling people to keep left if most ignore it? The Police dont bother enforcing the keep right lane clear so we have the situation where the majority it seems sit in that lane and ignore the left lane.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:12 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Just drove down to the coat and back and if it wasn't for the low light, I would've returned with 5+ pics of numpties in the 'overtaking' lane and no other ****er within 500m of them!

Cracks me up, just like the numpties that won't move over if you're up their ass!

Arrogance or stupid as ****! ... it can only be one or the other if you ask me, and I know which one it is ...
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Just drove down to the coat and back and if it wasn't for the low light, I would've returned with 5+ pics of numpties in the 'overtaking' lane and no other ****er within 500m of them!

Cracks me up, just like the numpties that won't move over if you're up their ass!

Arrogance or stupid as ****! ... it can only be one or the other if you ask me, and I know which one it is ...
Yes it is very annoying.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Just for the record it is not a road rule or law to keep left in Australia. The rule is to keep only the Right Most Lane clear if the speed limit is 90kph or more.

It is on the F3. The signs say so. And they are occasionally enforced. I drive it every day.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Rush hour traffic coming up the M1 out of London is 90mph in the fast (yep fast) lane, that's the outside lane for Aussies! ...

I find the inside lane moves best personally. I love driving up the highway with everyone clogging up the outside lanes and me passing them all on the inside! ...

Just imagine how smooth this country would run if EVERYONE kept left unless overtaking! ...
I've heard some bloody stupid things regarding driving but that is just ridiculous. No wonder there's so many accidents at the M1/M25 junction.And yeah it would be great if everyone kept to one side like they do in Germany, but I can't say it ever happened in the UK.

Last edited by martin1978; Jan 10th 2013 at 12:30 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:31 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco

Not wishing to be picky, but in Vic, keep left becomes law over 80 kph. Silly stupid state rules, they should be national, esp as NT has a max of 130.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:33 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin1978
I've heard some bloody stupid things regarding driving but that is just ridiculous. No wonder there's so many accidents at the M1/M25 junction.And yeah it would be great if everyone kept to one side like they do in Germany, but I can't say it ever happened in the UK.
You realise the OP was talking about Australia dont you ? I have found driving in the UK to be a joy, especially the motorways compared to in Queensland. It is so refreshing that MOST drivers know what to do and will keep left.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

You realise the OP was talking about Australia dont you ? I have found driving in the UK to be a joy, especially the motorways compared to in Queensland. It is so refreshing that MOST drivers know what to do and will keep left.
I was talking about the driving at 90mph and thinking that was ok. And on the M6, M62 and M60 noone ever kept left.

When some **** speeding on the motorway kills one of your children maybe you will start thinking differently. Until then keep justifying it and speed away.

Last edited by martin1978; Jan 10th 2013 at 12:40 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:29 pm
Banned

I dont need to justify anything.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 2:54 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, spot on. Driving at 10 over the limit on the motorway is exactly the same as drink driver and anti social behaviour, vandalism. Yes, you are right it does sound silly.
Does it sound any sillier than saying you don't need to abide by the speeding laws, but you do need to keep left so that speeders can get a clear run in the right hand lane and not keep left.

And choosing to break one law shows that you think you are above the law - so which ones will you choose to abide by. The point I was making was that if the speeding laws don't apply to you on the motorway, do they abide by them on smaller roads, do you ignore them altogether? Do you break other laws - do you drive whilst under the influence? And is it only driving laws you break? What other laws do you think don't apply to you. Speeders are selfish drivers.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 4:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Not wishing to be picky, but in Vic, keep left becomes law over 80 kph. Silly stupid state rules, they should be national, esp as NT has a max of 130.
National laws, you're funny
Old Jan 10th 2013, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by martin1978
It is on the F3. The signs say so. And they are occasionally enforced. I drive it every day.
If signs state keep (completely) left on a particular road then those take precedence over the general road rule.

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Is it completely left or just keeping the right lane clear? I wish we could hit 130.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

After nearly 7 years of living here I have recently had something of a wakeup call regarding how bad my driving has become especially after a visit to the UK. There is very little agression but the standard of driving is so low.

They need education here not speed cameras. The ones on the Pacific Highway M1 have to be a joke, what do they actually achieve

The real joke is they are good at catching drink drivers but there are ways and means of getting back behind the wheel straight away! A lot of grief involved but even so.

QLD needs more cop cars pulling people over and giving "advice"

It was being stoppped by a very pleasant policeman for speeding that made me question my driving. There is very little agression but the standard of driving is so low that you tend to slip into the same mentality. Nobody else has lane discipline or can use a roundabout correctly so You end up doing your own thing as well. By law a yellow traffic light means stop ( yes stop if there is the space to do so) but you do it at your peril, the fear of being hit from behind is in your mind. Driving here is not much fun as you have no idea what another driver may or may not do and neither have they which is the scary bit.

I also learned the other day that a car maintaining a massive gap between it and the one in front means the is driver is possibly texting someone. No speed camera picks this up.

A trip back to the UK was a revelation as most drivers seemed to be aware of what they were actually doing and driving was enjoyable again, in Shropshire and wales anyway.

General lane discipline, driving skill, awareness and consideration for other drivers seemed so much better. As a rule that is, I am sure there are plenty of exeptions that could be quoted.

Here a well driven car actually stands out.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 12:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

The big difference I have found between UK and Aus driving, irrespective of right/wrong of doing 90mph, is that in the UK I found driving a lot easier because I knew what to expect from my fellow drivers. UK drivers are more aware about what's going on around them and how their actions may affect others. Here, it's every man for himself.

I blame it on two things: lack of professional driving lessons - therefore bad habits are passed on; young people in big cars - new drivers in V6s are bad news.

How many times do you see a driver executing a left-hand turn end up on the wrong side of the road?

How many time do you see a driver doing a right turn at a junction not do it as a right-angle? It's possible to hit somebody here pulling out left onto a main road at a junction because the muppet turning right off the main road is right in front of you.

Any newcomers should prepare themselves for a big shock. Lane-hogging, tailgating...Don't expect to be let into traffic. It's so different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.