Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

a new life downunder

a new life downunder

Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:54 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pollster
You may have hit on something there!
Saying all that though I suppose if TV had shown a beautiful programme of family bliss the ratings would go down. I suppose they think it spices it all up if there are family rows etc happening every couple of minutes.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:58 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough
Default Re: badge's summary

But she would have been way too intense for me...thank God me and Mrs B2B are such a great team ;-) Sometimes, I kind of think that many Brits go over and are too intense for the average Aussie..even though these families are moving to 'downsize' or 'slow down'..anyone else notice this?
Badge: [/QUOTE]

I think you have a very valid point there, Badge.

Poms seem to be less willing to go with the flow well as with Aussies, if the flow wasn't there they wouldn't go anywhere ( and I don't mean that in a bad way in the slightest)

I think as well, with the house thing, because families are starting from scratch again, there is this desire, this rush, to immediately get back to the stage they were at back in the UK.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:05 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

A normal family? I thought they must have been specially bred and selected. Perhaps the producers need to be lauded afterall, not lampooned.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:08 pm
WBB

i liked them, seemed like an ordinary family with ordinary problems.

not exactly what i was expecting !

Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:12 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough

They seemed VERY whiney at first and got my back up with the fact they seemed to want to live an " english lifestyle " in Oz but i will say they did all seem to start making the effort and when they did they enjoyed it..Good luck to them !

Tigger

8 days til i go yipeeeeeeeee !
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:13 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

They looked pretty normal to me, a bit "whingy", but no more than your average aussie family. I think there was lots of careful editing going on.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought out of all the programmes so far they seemed quite "normal" in fact, sad as it may sem made me wanna go even more, they actually went out with the idea that "lets give it a go" I for one think it seemed quite positive and didnt' show too many "rose tints" with regards things, mind you I do tink everyone keeps referring backing to Engish pounds and thats does annoy me!!!!you there not here!!!

I did think that plot of land they were building on looked a bit small as well.

Maybe Im prejudice cos that wher we're hoping to go!!

p.s. What about that Lighthouse View!!!!!!!

Kath
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops sorry about all the spelling mistakes I put it down to new false nails (special at the local superdrug and too much Red Wine) mmm yum yum!!!

Kath
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

The £75,000 for building a house, I would hazard a guess and say that was pretty much correct, bearing in mind that that is only the cost for building a home, the land is of course on top,and it is the cost of the land that tends to go up, as we found was the case on the gold coast a few months back. The average cost for building a home we found was between $150,000 and $200,000 (approx £65,000 - £85,000), and the land, well that was over $200,000 (approx £90,000). That was on the gold coast. Perth may be a little cheaper.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:28 pm
WBB

made me laugh when they visited the plot and she said "there is no shade here.....oh there will be when they build a house"

Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Well travelled is an unknown quantity at this point

am over on hols at mo and can't believe you lot think they were ok!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:33 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Well travelled
am over on hols at mo and can't believe you lot think they were ok!!!!

i think we may be seeing a different edit to you.

Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i think we may be seeing a different edit to you.

no...am in uk on hols... saw uk version, how bad were they, can't see half of you lot whinging like that!!!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:40 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Well travelled
no...am in uk on hols... saw uk version, how bad were they, can't see half of you lot whinging like that!!!

i thought they were ok, compared to previous weeks anyway !

it must be a stressful time for anyone and they seemed to cope reasonably well and were prepared to give it a go.

Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i thought they were ok, compared to previous weeks anyway !

it must be a stressful time for anyone and they seemed to cope reasonably well and were prepared to give it a go.

each to own, just feel that when you go elsewhere you shouldn't compare too much and expect that you are moving to mini uk........hey if anyone is they are in for a shock, yes stressful but we all don't knock the place!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.