Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

a new life downunder

a new life downunder

Old Dec 19th 2003, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

i am very annoyed about this show. they are showing brits moving to paradise and yet they seem ungrateful and constantly moan and whinge. i think any brit that is heard moaning upon arriving in paradise should be deported and made to live somewhere horrible like scotland until they learn.

i have to say that the brisbane school kids are just the greatest. i do not know why but i guess if you are living in heaven on earth is it any wonder the children are automatically angels as well.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

a lady moves with her children after splitting from her husband just before they leave. Anyone know where it is that the lady from Blackpool goes to?

OzTennis [/QUOTE]

she ends up renting a big house in nerang on the gold coast after being in a high rise. wait till you see the car she buys!
the son is quite funny, the mom very laid back and a younger daughter. the fly in the ointment seems to be (i'm sure they said)her 4th husband who appears and the kids don't like him. i may have missed something but sure they said he was her sponsor! she was finding it hard to get work and then got a job doing telesales - much like myself! who also did'nt stick it out!

anyone else watching in oz who feels annoyed that every programme goes through the SAME introductions every half hour session......
karen
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:48 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by welshboybilly
made me laugh when they visited the plot and she said "there is no shade here.....oh there will be when they build a house"

PMSL too. What a cracker!!
Old Dec 19th 2003, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Chunky is an unknown quantity at this point

We watched it last night too, and we thought that the wife was going to chuck-it-all-in and " come " home.

By the end of the show, i was really impressed, they showed a true desire to make it work and really impressed us in their attitude.

We thought the age of the kids played a big part of their loneliness, also the attitude of the kids.

At the end of the day, the program is edited in such a way to make entertaining viewing and "everything's rosy " is NOT entertaining viewing, people WANT to see arguments and sqabbles.

You have to take out what is applicable to yourself and be able to disregard what isn't ( both the highs AND lows ) .

Enjoyed the show, good luck to them. Glad the daughter finally got a shag ( only reason she was homesick lol ).

Paul
Old Dec 19th 2003, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara 2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by captaincook
i am very annoyed about this show. they are showing brits moving to paradise and yet they seem ungrateful and constantly moan and whinge. i think any brit that is heard moaning upon arriving in paradise should be deported and made to live somewhere horrible like scotland until they learn.

i have to say that the brisbane school kids are just the greatest. i do not know why but i guess if you are living in heaven on earth is it any wonder the children are automatically angels as well.

Hey!!!!!!!!!
Leave Scotland alone!
Where are you from ya cheeky git!
There's men in kilts sworded and ready to get you!
Old Dec 20th 2003, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

annb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant future

karen...omg...yes the constant review on the oz program is doing my head in...how many times do we have to see each family arriving and half of the last show before we see new stuff...its becoming really annoying and that narrator is an idiot...i think we see about 10mins of new footage each night...not suprising its going to be on for 2months
Old Dec 20th 2003, 8:03 am
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Someone on this thread said that they are going to repeat the programme.
It will be repeated Mon, Tues, Weds this week at 3pm on channel 4.
Old Dec 20th 2003, 8:28 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

I can't believe that family was selected for a visa anyway - ok the mother was a midwife but surely being bankrupt is potentially bad for the Australian economy. How did they suddenly produce cash to rent a house and put a deposit down to build a new one if they were bankrupt? All very strange. Perth still looks nice though, and the kids and father came across ok, but the "boss lady" was embrassing to watch - especially when she said of the wildlife at the building plot of her new home "the Australians may start shooting the birds".

Last edited by joninoxford; Dec 20th 2003 at 11:36 am.
Old Dec 20th 2003, 11:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by joninoxford
I can't believe that family was selected for a visa anyway - ok the mother was a midwife but surely being bankrupt is potentially bad for the Australian economy. How did they suddenly produce cash to rent a house and put a deposit down to build a new one if they were bankrupt? All very strange. Perth still looks nice though, and the kids and father came across ok, but the "boss lady" was embrassing to watch - especially when she said of the wildlife at the building plot of her new home "the Australians may shooting the birds".
I don't think they were bankrupt. They sold their house to clear their debts, probably had some cash left over to start again in Perth. having lots of debts or being bankrupt is not a crime.
Old Dec 20th 2003, 11:44 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

"I don't think they were bankrupt. They sold their house to clear their debts, probably had some cash left over to start again in Perth. having lots of debts or being bankrupt is not a crime."

The narrator said at the start they were bankrupt or facing bankruptcy. Nobody said being bankrupt or having debt was a crime (I have my fair share). I actually believe that Brits and Aussies should be able to move about the Commonwealth countries freely without needing a Visa. Seems odd we can all go and work anywhere in Europe without problems, but to work with our closest cousins we need to go through so much red tape. After hearing so many stories of people and families so keen to migrate, it is odd that a family who did not sound very keen to go in the first place and are near bankrupt gained a visa when others that may appear more willing and in better situations have been refused.

Last edited by joninoxford; Dec 20th 2003 at 12:07 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Nookie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Get real?

Welcome to cold, wet and misreable Swindon.

New boy here with first post...so here goes.

My wife Claire and myself are fying out to Melbourne on 17th Feb. We have PR visas.

We have watched and enjoyed the NLDU shows but cannot believe that people are that rude about OZ (why go there then?) uncommited (not selling up and going back to blighty without giving it a fair crack) and perhaps most frightening of all going to Oz for pretty worrying reasons (it'll help our strained marriage!!!??!!) Obviously moving halfway around the world is a care free doddle.

Someone please tell me it isn't all like this and just the feted Reality TV looking for some salacious conflict and tension to milk.

A slightly worried

Wilf