Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

a new life downunder

a new life downunder

Old Dec 18th 2003, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

this has surely got to be a wind up or those people are just w****, gives us all a bad name!!!

typical family, on verge on bankrupt, never been before, think its "little england"...... blah blah - "in england this and that" quote by mrs

really don't want to live near anyone like this........
Old Dec 18th 2003, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know how long the series is going on, it's just about the best thing on Telly at the moment compulsive viewing.

Just one comment: how come it is always edited to look like they are whinging all the time, I do believe it cannot be a decent cross section of people who emigrate, can it? :scared:

By the way anyone know if we are to get more than the glimpse we had the other week of Melbourne, I would like to see how people who settled there got on.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:05 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Maybe I put my tolerant and generous head on this morning but I didn't think the Skeggs' were too bad, really.

Apart from having no idea how to live within their means, make an effort to get out and meet people or motivate their children.

But saying 'I miss M&S' isn't whinging, is it?

Surely everyone is bound to miss things and find a little hard to settle straight off - it take them a long time though, I grant you.

And getting pissed on telly is never the best of ideas.

Was the Costcutter t-shirt comment in it? - I missed it if it was.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mrs Skeggs wasnt as bad as I expected after all the publicity. Yes she had a moan but we already know the series is geared towards showing the negative stuff.
Maybe my expectations of the programme have changed???
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:08 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

The Skeggs weren't too bad. Funny how the voiceover kept going on about how homesick they were and how difficult it was to adjust but they didn't seem to be doing too bad.

Another nagging woman though! Why can't you birds just let us men get on with the simple life!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mcmercer
Mrs Skeggs wasnt as bad as I expected after all the publicity. Yes she had a moan but we already know the series is geared towards showing the negative stuff.
Maybe my expectations of the programme have changed???

For those of you living over in Perth, is it still true that you can have a house built for only £75,000?
Or was this programme filmed before "the boom" that I keep hearing so much about?
As for the Skeggs, they seemed like an average lot. Glad to see they are actually giving Aus a chance instead of packing up and going home at the first sign of problems.
Tazzy
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:16 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

For those of you living over in Perth, is it still true that you can have a house built for only £75,000?
Depends where in Perth you build
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:20 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

I'm pleased that we got a really good view of Perth, I would have thought the majority of people watching would have thought that Perth looked great. Can't wait till April.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if we have seen a different edit of the programme but they didn't seem half as bad as I thought. Mind you I got the impression they were kind of running away from problems over here.

Good luck to them though - I don't envy them having to live there after the programme was shown in Oz - I wonder if they knew that when they agreed to it being filmed.

Claire
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:25 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

I agree with some of the others on here that this family were actually quite normal. They just seemed to be missing some of the things that, I'm sure, a large majority of us will miss when we first arrive - family, friends and familiar surroundings.

At least they are giving it a go and not coming back after only 4 months like the other family they showed a few weeks ago.

Sally
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:29 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sally1968
I agree with some of the others on here that this family were actually quite normal. They just seemed to be missing some of the things that, I'm sure, a large majority of us will miss when we first arrive - family, friends and familiar surroundings.

At least they are giving it a go and not coming back after only 4 months like the other family they showed a few weeks ago.

Sally
Yes, but they did moan a bit too much and did not really make a big effort to fit in. It would be very interesting to see how they are now.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:43 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally posted by cinderella
Yes, but they did moan a bit too much and did not really make a big effort to fit in. It would be very interesting to see how they are now.
After watching the series so far, what about the theory that its a conspiracy from OZ immigration to put us off going!!!!!
Just as well were all pig headed and will go regardless. Just shows we are "committed" to going and should all be allowed to go asap

Jenny
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:46 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jensteve
After watching the series so far, what about the theory that its a conspiracy from OZ immigration to put us off going!!!!!
Just as well were all pig headed and will go regardless. Just shows we are "committed" to going and should all be allowed to go asap

Jenny

You may have hit on something there!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:52 pm
Badge

Default badge's summary

I missed the first 7 minutes, was on train at 7.50pm, prepared to run home to catch programme, was so excited/tired got off train one stop too early and had to order a cab to get me back in time...also Mrs B's a bit ill..

Initial thoughts : bunch of pommie whingers...(!)

HOWEVER, as the programme wore on, I came to like Mrs Skeg, as she was bright, and actually quite 'focused'. Their little conversation in the bar on their own showed them in good light. But she would have been way too intense for me...thank God me and Mrs B2B are such a great team ;-) Sometimes, I kind of think that many Brits go over and are too intense for the average Aussie..even though these families are moving to 'downsize' or 'slow down'..anyone else notice this? They seemed to be renting too big a home just when they were having cashflow issues.

Watching the programme also reminded me that kids that can't drive 'lose' out to an extent depending on where they live etc

Badge:

Old Dec 18th 2003, 8:52 pm
Adelaide bound

fishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nicefishyben is just really nice

I spoke to my mum ( lives in adelaide ) at the weekend and they're showing this series out there, she said Mrs Skeggs has been on some current affair program over there, not sure which one , but she was slating the documentry makers for editing the series to make it so negative its almost like there trying to put people like us off the idea of migrating.
Still it must give my neighbor's_a good laugh with all the shouting and swearing me and the wife do at the TV every thursday night for an hour.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.