Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

mum of three wants to meet friends

mum of three wants to meet friends

Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:50 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mum of three wants to meet friends

Originally Posted by Scotschick
When's your next meet at the beach Soapy. Would love to come along to it as we missed the meet in Feb when we were over. We won't be flying out until 21 June though.

Cheers
i wont decide a date until after the pac pines meet.
but as ive said, there has been plenty of meets on the gold coast, so if u miss the next one, im sure it wont be too long till the next
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Scotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond reputeScotschick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
i wont decide a date until after the pac pines meet.
but as ive said, there has been plenty of meets on the gold coast, so if u miss the next one, im sure it wont be too long till the next
Nae worries. Will keep a look out for after we arrive.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:20 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: mum of three wants to meet friends

Originally Posted by ozziegirl
hi anyone out there!

i arrived in the gold coast area in dec, and go to college three days a week tuesday,wednesday,thursday and need some friends not just for myself but for my kids aswell, am starting to feel very lonely and finding it hard to make friends with kids to do days out to the beach and park, plus missing the big one shopping and lunches with a good friend ...

does anyone else feel the same or am i just a very sad person who needs to get a life!!!!!

have tried to find places to go with no luck as limted to only mondays and fridays off.

please contact me ozziegirl
Hi There Ozziegirl,

I am not far from you either (near Pac Pines) and am always willing to chat and drink coffee at any given opportunity!

I have 4 kids (1 little Australian extra since joining this site ) My youngest is a boy aged 21 months, then a girl 5, boy 7 and a girl nearly 9.

I will try to keep up with this thread and hopefully get to meet some of you soon
I've been to many meets in Adelaide and some here and they are honestly nothing to worry about.....if your that unsure only disclose exact place and time via P.M and always meet in a public place the first time, as information given on this site is accessible to anyone with a computer

Jan (NOT an axe weilding maniac )
Old Apr 18th 2007, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Cuddles is on a distinguished road

hi anyone out there!

i arrived in the gold coast area in dec , and go to college three days a week tuesday,wednesday,thursday and need some friends not just for myself but for my kids aswell, am starting to feel very lonely and finding it hard to make friends with kids to do days out to the beach and park, plus missing the big one shopping and lunches with a good friend ...

does anyone else feel the same or am i just a very sad person who needs to get a life!!!!!

have tried to find places to go with no luck as limted to only mondays and fridays off.

H ozziegirl,

I know just how you feel. We moved up here from Sydney in January and was finding it quite hard to find friends again. I actually put a thread on this website too and had some great responses. I also had never done this sort of thing before and was quite worried meeting up but Im glad to say it was well worth it in the end.

There is a small group of us that now meet up, and 1 of them you are meetinng this Friday, shes lovely. We are all normal lovely people honest ha.

I have 4 children aged 12, 10, 6 and 3.and if you ever want a chat then just pm me.

Hope to see you soon.

Cuddles
Old Apr 18th 2007, 6:03 am
Just Joined

samlee31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: mum of three wants to meet friends

hi sam

are u coming out on a student visa with your family or as perm residences? i can fill u with some hope on the student visa, thats the visa i am on, i started my course in jan of this year and love it after two years i can apply for pr (perm residence). the only thing i would say is organize it all before u leave the uk, i found it made it easier and u can save more monies to come here with. i bet one of your worry's is u and your husband only being able to work 20 hrs a week well thats what we worried about because it's not that cheap living here when u are living dollar for dollar which u will be. what does your other half do ? i ask this because there is a loop hole if your husbands has a professional jobs like (city banking,insurance,manager of people) here can apply for a 457 visa long term working visa here would have to us one of the agencies that deal with this to help him, as long as a employer is willing to sponsor him and give him work he can change his visa plus after two year u can apply for pr as well so will give u two routes student and 457 work visa, plus this visa allow him to work full time because belive me child care is not cheap. i have three kids as u know 8,4and 22 mth old and go to child care facilities three times a week it costs me :
8 yrs 32.00 dollars a week for just after school care from 3:00 to 6:00 pm four afternoons a week with a local child minder at 3.99 a hour and for three full days 120.00 dollars a week in school holidays.
4 and 22 mth old go to the local abc centre it's 45.00 dollars a day for 4 year old and 44.00 dollars a day for my 22 mth old thats from 6.30 am to 6.30 pm three weeks of care for them cost near 800.00 dollars, this is what i pay every three weeks.
because on student visa u get no goverment help.sounds cheap when u think sterling but remember u will be living in dollar it add up and it hurts!!!

i am glad u like the sounds of southbank look forward to making the arrangements to meet your family..

good luck if u just want a chat u know where i am.
i hope what i have written is not to forward or off putting.
chat soon ozziegirl
Hi,

Its good to see the many replies in this thread, it really is great to know there are othe people out there in same boat and they all sound lovely. As for meets when i get there I will definatley be going, there is nothing like putting yourself out there to meet friends.
Unfortunately my parents are not permenant (retirement visa) so i wont be coming over under sponsorship from them, hence the need to study! I dont have husband, doing this solo (with my little soldier to help of course!) This will be my secound student visa as tried it once but but circumstances changed and had to come back to UK.
By the sounds of the prices of childcare im kinda glad i have my parents there they have said they will look after my son while im in college. I may put him in once a week for the interaction with other kids.
Im hoping to get over before the end of May, so I will keep an eye o this thread and see when you all intend to meet up or which meet your going to and go from there.

See you all soon,
Sam
Old Apr 20th 2007, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

ozziegirl is a jewel in the roughozziegirl is a jewel in the roughozziegirl is a jewel in the roughozziegirl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SarahJane2007
just booked 3 weeks on Broadbeach and had look on the map, it dosent look too far away from you?? or burleigh beach we arrive there 23rd june. sarah
hi sarahjane

sorry did not get back sooner been at college for the last three days and have to fight my husband for the computer sometime

can't wait to meet u and your clan when u get here please contact me

i have no idea how to send a private e mail to u with my details on it

any one out there that can help!!!!

if i do not find out how to email u
find my thread contact me though this

speak to u soon hopefully before u move

ozziegirl (stacey)
Old Apr 20th 2007, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

ozziegirl is a jewel in the roughozziegirl is a jewel in the roughozziegirl is a jewel in the roughozziegirl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by samlee31
Hi,

Its good to see the many replies in this thread, it really is great to know there are othe people out there in same boat and they all sound lovely. As for meets when i get there I will definatley be going, there is nothing like putting yourself out there to meet friends.
Unfortunately my parents are not permenant (retirement visa) so i wont be coming over under sponsorship from them, hence the need to study! I dont have husband, doing this solo (with my little soldier to help of course!) This will be my secound student visa as tried it once but but circumstances changed and had to come back to UK.
By the sounds of the prices of childcare im kinda glad i have my parents there they have said they will look after my son while im in college. I may put him in once a week for the interaction with other kids.
Im hoping to get over before the end of May, so I will keep an eye o this thread and see when you all intend to meet up or which meet your going to and go from there.

See you all soon,
Sam
hi sam

you a one in a millon to be doing this solo (good luck), hope it works out for u this time round
if there is anything i can do for u to help just contact me in the thread and if i can i will.
in the same boat (on student visa 20 mths left and counting down)
how do u feel about the new rule coming into play in sept? (it doesn't bother me as hairdressing is my passion and what i want to do)

ozziegirl
Old Apr 20th 2007, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cuddles
H ozziegirl,

I know just how you feel. We moved up here from Sydney in January and was finding it quite hard to find friends again. I actually put a thread on this website too and had some great responses. I also had never done this sort of thing before and was quite worried meeting up but Im glad to say it was well worth it in the end.

There is a small group of us that now meet up, and 1 of them you are meetinng this Friday, shes lovely. We are all normal lovely people honest ha.

I have 4 children aged 12, 10, 6 and 3.and if you ever want a chat then just pm me.

Hope to see you soon.

Cuddles
hi cuddles
thanks for the reassuring thread look forward to meeting u as well (just how many of the group are there
are all your kids boys or girls my herd are all wild boys with way to much energy
when is the next group meet up?
ozziegirl
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by soapy
the expats meets are a great thing. we have made loads of friends from them, both here and in sydney.
its not something seedy, its just a bunch of expats getting together and having a natter. if you happen to make friends from it, well then its a bonus.

if u have been to a meet and dint like some of the people there, then try another.

this might sound harsh, but if anyone has been out here a year and have not made friends then there must be something wrong with them. there has been about 16 meets on the gold coast since we moved here last year. we missed the first two, pac pines has had about 5, we have been to one on the beach, one at the benowa tavern, the ladies have had at least 4 days out, and im sure theres another group having meets (last one was at labrador) i think.

if you want an easier start to your life in australia, then get your arse to a meet!

not everyone likes the meets, but then they just go off and try a bit harder to find friends some place else
hi soapy

harsh harsh words some people are just not way out there, and have there worries.
you sound just like my husband his a scots man.

anyway can i bring all my family to the next meet my husband and kids would like to make more friends as well, where is it going to be??????

ozziegirl
Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:44 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

hi soapy

harsh harsh words some people are just not way out there, and have there worries.
you sound just like my husband his a scots man.

anyway can i bring all my family to the next meet my husband and kids would like to make more friends as well, where is it going to be??????

ozziegirl
theres a meet on saturday 28th of april at the pac pines tavern.
the next meet will be on a beach somewhere, i havent decided where though. i will get back to u in a couple of weeks though.

your right about my words being harsh, i looked at them the next day and thought they were harsh myself. but they cant be edited now lol
Old Aug 7th 2007, 4:38 am
Just Joined

michelle2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi anyone out there!

i arrived in the gold coast area in dec , and go to college three days a week tuesday,wednesday,thursday and need some friends not just for myself but for my kids aswell, am starting to feel very lonely and finding it hard to make friends with kids to do days out to the beach and park, plus missing the big one shopping and lunches with a good friend ...

hi im not near you living in geelong but have the same problem,its harder than you imagine moving isnt it?
where did you move from,what age are your kids?
michelle
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Phyllis n Joe will become famous soon enough

hi anyone out there!

Hi Stacey

how you doing? I will be going to the Pac Pines meet as we re moving there soon!

Phyllis