Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne MT Eliza & IT

Melbourne MT Eliza & IT

Old Jun 25th 2007, 6:37 am
Just Joined

JandR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne MT Eliza & IT

Hi, my wife fancies the look of Mt Eliza, I work in IT couple of questions I guess...

how long is the commute from Mt Eliza ? (I reckon about a n hour but would welcome any local knowledge)

is all the IT work in the CBD ? or are their any pockets in the suburbs ? in particular any to the south or East ? - ie nearer to Mt Eliza than CBD

Thanks

J
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all
Default Re: Melbourne MT Eliza & IT

Hi
I reckon on a good day if you drove it would take well over an hour, but your best bet would be to get the train from frankston which is the next suburb along from Mt Eliza.
Mt Eliza is very nice as is all of the Mornington Pen especially the west side.
Really feels like real Oz down there.
A couple of my mates work in IT on St Kilda Rd which is where I reckon majority of IT jobs are located, if not the city, much more choice and better money.
Depending if you have any kids or not or what type of lifestyle you want would depend on where you will settle
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:03 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JandR
Hi, my wife fancies the look of Mt Eliza, I work in IT couple of questions I guess...

how long is the commute from Mt Eliza ? (I reckon about a n hour but would welcome any local knowledge)

is all the IT work in the CBD ? or are their any pockets in the suburbs ? in particular any to the south or East ? - ie nearer to Mt Eliza than CBD

Thanks

J
Along with St Kilda road you may find work in Mulgrave/Mt Waverley. But the commute will not be only an hour. The train alone is about 1.10 mins from Frankston to CBD. Add on transit time (drive from Mt Eliza down/Parking/Tram/walking at other end).

Buzzy Bee has just arrived and is now working in the same field perhaps PM him if he does not see this thread and ask of his experiences (recently).
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I have been commuting from Mornington (just beyond Mt Eliza) to St Kilda Rd up til now. It works like this for me -

06:50 - leave home in Mornington by car
07:10 - arrive Frankston train station
07:20 - Train leaves Frankston
08:05 - Train arrives South Yarra. Change on to Sandringham Train.
08:08 - Sandringham train leaves South Yarra.
08:10 - Train arrives Prahran. Walk to St Kilda Road
08:25 - Arrive work in St Kilda Road.

That's a 1 hour 35 min commute! An alternative is to walk from S Yarra, its slightly longer for me. A better alternative is to drive the whole way out of peak hours!

We have just moved to Mordialloc, I catch the same train as above but now I leave home at 7:20, so just over a 1 hour commute. Driving takes about 40 mins if I leave at 7.15.

HTH

Buzzy
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

We rented in Mt.Eliza for a year after we arrived. We have since bought in South Frankston. Both area's are great in our opinion. My husband is in IT and luckily he found a job in Clayton. His commute is approx 40-50mins by motorcycle. If he went by train he would have to go into the city to come out on another train line.

We chose South Frankston to buy in case he changed employment in the future and ended up in the CBD. It's that bit nearer to Frankston Station and there's a bus stop close to our house which goes to the station. There's a bus which runs through Mt.Eliza village which goes to the station too. Parking at Frankston Station can be a problem as spaces go early. My friends husband has a crappy car purely for getting him to the station so it doesn't matter if it gets knocked a bit.

There are lots of people that commute to the city as they like the lifestyle in and around Mt.Eliza. I have met several families that lived close to the city (St.Kilda, Albert Park, Chadstone, Prahran) but decided to move out this way after having children. The large bush block properties attract the families and you can certainly get alot more for your money.

Last edited by Caroline G; Aug 7th 2007 at 8:23 am.