Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Oz........please help!!!!!!!

Moving to Oz........please help!!!!!!!

Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Oz........please help!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by creepycrawley
Why would your downtime be any different here to in the UK? Watching TV, putting on a CD or going out for a drink is harder work in the UK, is it?
My downtime is out cycling, playing golf, watersking and camping. You don't need a tv here. Listen to a lot of music though
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

Same shit, DIFFERENT bucket. Different only, not better.

You don't find visits to the beach and barbecues where thin after a time? Like, a few months?
For some it is better. And vice versa. It's not a hard concept
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:08 pm
Banned

creepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kporte
My downtime is out cycling, playing golf, watersking and camping. You don't need a tv here. Listen to a lot of music though
You don't need a TV in Australia - what, cos the TV here is shite? Agreed.

Interesting how a quick look around turns up how many threads there are on here about things like Foxtel. Why are people getting that if they have such busy, active lives here?

Do you cycle/play golf/waterski/camp on a daily basis? I have friends back in the UK who go walking at a different location almost every weekend. They seem to manage not to let the ''awful'' weather stop them.

Weird that not everyone manages that. I wonder why that is.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Our spare time here is a lot more laid back than at home. Thats because we dont have family to please (though there is a flip side to that as we obviously miss them) and there is simply masses more choice of places to go and things to do than there were for us in the UK.

Couple that with the fact that, on the Gold Coast, you are rarely restricted by bad weather, yes, our spare time is better here than in the UK

Work, well work is work. Not particularly fun but needs must. Attitudes to work here are a bit more slack, higher sickness etc but pay and conditions are probably slightly less favorable than in the UK. For me its a trade off of lots of things but Australia wins (at the risk of sounding like that bloody awful wanted down under show).

You are obviously not stupid people and you know you will have to work hard to enjoy life here. But for us, life is better. Hope it will be for you too.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:09 pm
Banned

creepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud ofcreepycrawley has much to be proud of

Errr, mate, the fact that it is only better ''for some'' is due to the fact that it is a different bucket (not a conclusively ''better'' one) - as I said.

It's not a hard concept.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

Errr, mate, the fact that it is only better ''for some'' is due to the fact that it is a different bucket (not a conclusively ''better'' one) - as I said.

It's not a hard concept.
Of course it's a conclusively better one... for me. At the end of the day thats all that matters. So yes, for me it is better here and you cannot argue that point.
Understand now or do I need to elaborate
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:17 pm
Banned

Of course it's a conclusively better one... for me. At the end of the day thats all that matters. So yes, for me it is better here and you cannot argue that point.
Understand now or do I need to elaborate
I'm not arguing whether it's better for you.

But saying it's ''same shit, shinier bucket'' is basically saying Australia is better than the UK overall.

It isn't as it is purely down to personal taste. It's subjective.

Therefore, kporte, a fairer and more accurate statement is ''same shit, different bucket'', as this highlights that Australia is DIFFERENT and NOT NECESSARILY BETTER.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

I'm not arguing whether it's better for you.

But saying it's ''same shit, shinier bucket'' is basically saying Australia is better than the UK overall.

It isn't as it is purely down to personal taste. It's subjective.

Therefore, kporte, a fairer and more accurate statement is ''same shit, different bucket'', as this highlights that Australia is DIFFERENT and NOT NECESSARILY BETTER.
I never said Australia was better, I said it was better for me.
An accurate statement for me is that Australia is better. Period.
Do you have some issue with that or do you just feel the need to argue? I can go on all day like this if you like.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:23 pm
Banned

I never said Australia was better, I said it was better for me.
An accurate statement for me is that Australia is better. Period.
Do you have some issue with that or do you just feel the need to argue? I can go on all day like this if you like.
You were trying to say that ''same shit, shinier bucket'' is a fair assessment of Australia, not just for you but in general.

I was contesting that assertion, not your own personal view, about which I care not.

I was (and am) merely suggesting that a far fairer and more balanced assessment is ''same shit, different bucket'', since that takes accounts of different tastes whereas the former does not.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

Why would your downtime be any different here to in the UK? Watching TV, putting on a CD or going out for a drink is harder work in the UK, is it?
making an effort to dress up to the nines every week or to go to the shops. the pub, the shops - are more hectic at home. I miss it but I definately find it more laid back here.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

australia is also better for my liver
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by odyssey
making an effort to dress up to the nines every week or to go to the shops. the pub, the shops - are more hectic at home. I miss it but I definately find it more laid back here.
I think people confuse quieter with laid-back. It's not a different attitude in Australia, it's simply that there are fewer people here and less happening so it is slower as a result. That's all.

I find the quieter, ''laid-back'' (if you must) atmosphere in Australia slightly dulling rather than therapeutic.

Last edited by creepycrawley; Feb 9th 2010 at 9:29 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

You were trying to say that ''same shit, shinier bucket'' is a fair assessment of Australia, not just for you but in general.

I was contesting that assertion, not your own personal view, about which I care not.

I was (and am) merely suggesting that a far fairer and more balanced assessment is ''same shit, different bucket'', since that takes accounts of different tastes whereas the former does not.
Really? Mind showing me that assertion?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by odyssey
australia is also better for my liver
Not for mine - I drink way more here.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 9:29 pm
Banned

Don't know why you posted this argumentative comment when the notion that for some it is but for others not was precisely what I was already saying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.